IGNORED

First problem with bike

Frank Cloud

Well:

The '99 has given me a slight problem. Cranked it up tonight to move it and started smelling gas. Shut it down and there was a fairly large puddle on the floor. In looking at the bike without taking off the fairing, the gas appears to be coming out of the fairing near the back of the center stand.

Obviously this is on the pressure side of the fuel pump. Before I start yanking plastic (which I've never personally done by the way) just wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Frank: I never had that problem, thankfully. If you go up to the top of the page under BMWSportTouring, you will see a gray row with topics listed horizontally. Click on M/C FAQ. Look on the left hand side and scroll down, under subheading "Mechanical and Maintenance", you will see "Tupperware & Tank Removal". The big fairing panels on the RT are called Tupperware. It explains how to smack the mirrors off with the palm of your hand and how to take out all the screws to take the tupperware off. I made a little diagram on paper the first time and measured them and noted their length- after a few times you know where they go. The ones you don't want to screw up are the 3 short screws that run down the backbone on the tank (on either side of the filler neck). There is an extra long one behind the mirror. If you look inside the oil cooler, you will find one hiding inside each inside edge. The fuel lines are on the right hand side of the bike so you can start by taking off that side and having a look at the hoses where they connect to what I assume is the fuel pressure regulator. Have a fire extinguisher handy and no trouble lights with a bulb- use or buy a nice, fluroscent trouble light. I'm sure one of the more experienced guys will post on possible problem areas. Glad it did it to you while at home and not spraying onto your exhaust while you were running down the road.

Never had this problem myself, but I bet it is a leak in the fuel line connectors. You can order a replacement set from Wunderlich and the actual job is pretty easy. Pull the plastic, and it as all pretty easy to see/deal with. Hopefully the tank is close to empty as they can be a handful if not.

Be sure to keep them straight when connecting them, some folks even use a little vasoline as the o-rings can tear.

Most any shop should be able to order them and many have them in stock. I don't think the 99 came with the quick disconnect versions from the factory so it is a nice upgrade anyway....did someone recently replace your fuel filter? Possible it got damaged then, or it could just be getting old and brittle....

Just a few days ago somebody posted comments and a link to a very cute little conncector that would be just the ticket for your leaky bike. Leaky fuel connections on oilheads are pretty common. Better to have learned of it so soon, and at home.

Fuel filter hasn't been changed yet to my knowledge. I've always had the bike dealer serviced, so I am not sure under which inspection that takes place. I wonder if it's possible the fuel line o-ring on the injector may be bad?

Oh well, I'll find out soon enough.

Just glad it didn't catch on fire.

Well:

The '99 has given me a slight problem. Cranked it up tonight to move it and started smelling gas. Shut it down and there was a fairly large puddle on the floor. In looking at the bike without taking off the fairing, the gas appears to be coming out of the fairing near the back of the center stand.

Obviously this is on the pressure side of the fuel pump. Before I start yanking plastic (which I've never personally done by the way) just wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

The tank vent and overflow lines exit just behind the righthand footrest. The vent lines pass through the tank and it may be one of these leaking.

Andy

Without removing the tupperware, you can inspect the fuel line connections at the point they enter and exit the fuel tank. Grap a flashlight and shine it in from the front above the wheel look your left (the bike's right) and you'll see the lines as they mount to the tank.

Before I start yanking plastic (which I've never personally done by the way) just wonder if anyone else has had this problem.
Yep BTDT ... you will need to remove the right side tupperware...follow the lines, you should find the leak easily...the connections are obvious. On mine the clamps were loose.
Well:

The tank vent and overflow lines exit just behind the righthand footrest. The vent lines pass through the tank and it may be one of these leaking.

Andy

That's exactly where the gas appears to be coming from. Can you remove the right side tupperware without removing the rear rack, etc?

That's exactly where the gas appears to be coming from. Can you remove the right side tupperware without removing the rear rack, etc?

You just need to remove the seat and mirrors.

It will take 10-15 minutes to remove the right side the first time you do it, about half that the next time.

read Jamies Walkthrough to get the idea first.

Andy

Hey Mark:

Pulled the fairing off (Much easier than i thought) and looked at all the connections.

I cannot find any sign of leaking, which leads me to believe that fuel was coming out of the vent. (I'm going to pull it out in the daylight and see what happens when I crank it)

Could this be a fuel filter failure? Anyone?

Edit:

In reading an article, if fuel comes out of the vent line, then that means the connections inside the tank are leaking.

I am going to crank the bike tomorrow and see if fuel comes out of the vent, if this is the case, I'll know which direction to take.

I haven't ridden much this year, but have tried to ride at least every two weeks.

Clive Liddell

Frank, you said:

"In reading an article, if fuel comes out of the vent line, then that means the connections inside the tank are leaking."

If you very recently (over)filled your bike in very cold conditions it tends to bleed out the overflow as it warms up either by warmer ambient or after parking the bike just the heat soak from the engine.

Hope it's no major issue!! Can't tell you enough how much fun I've been having riding mine!! This maybe the end of the riding season for me after Thanksgiving! Weather is suppose to be pretty decent up here towards the weekend!! Speaking of Thanksgiving I want to say thanks for all the smart and helpful people on this forum!! Wish I was as mechanically inclined as some of the folks on here!!

Have a great week!!

Mark Turner

Cleveland, Oh

Well Gents:

Here is the update. As I said before, pulled the left side tupperware off and inspected the bike. Saw no obvious problems. Took the bike outside and found a slight seep at bottom gas line before it turns back into the middle of the bike (If that makes sense) These two connectors are with a screw type clamp and the clamp was fairly loose. I tightened that and cranked the bike several times revving the engine and inspected. Saw no more seep. Absolutely nothing from the bottom of the vent line.

I am worried; however, that this problem could rear it's ugly head while I'm on the road again sometime.

Though there was a seep, I can tell you that there was a fairly large puddle of gas on the floor that night. I can only assume that the pressure somehow made more of a stream that particular night v. today. However, it does seem suspect that this was the right spot since there was a gas seep visible after I started the engine.

I also rode the bike to get the engine up to operating temperature and inspected the bike again, and saw nothing.

Any thoughts?

The old hose clamp loosing up trick. Starting the bike cold produces a pretty serious leak, but after 5 minutes or so the leak subsides to a seep. I’ve seen that problem before and tightening the hose clamp will eliminate it, that’s all there is to it. Now that you’ve gotten over taking of the covers, as Marty said go ride. You can always come back and re-tighten if necessary. Unlike the 1150’s, you do not have the quick disconnects and once the clamps are set you’re good to go

Rode the bike today....no gas.

In the old days, I used to work on all my vehicles myself. As I got into my thirties, I got away from that. Time to get back to the old days, probably saved myself 150 bucks by simply not panicking and taking the bike in.

Archived