IGNORED

Universal charging system for farkles?

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

Well, Xmas is almost here and one of the things on my list is an upgrade to my MP3 player for the bike. I only use this dang thing on the bike so I don't need much. So I start out to do a little research. I want about 2 GB or better. Simple features, shuffle play and manual buttons. I don't even care if it has a screen really. I start looking over all the features and every one that fits my needs requires ANOTHER DANG CHARGER!!!! To date, these are the individual chargers I carry with me.

1. Camera

2. FRS

3. Phone

My current Rio MP3 player maxes out at 512 MB SD card capacity, but runs for a couple of days on a single AA battery. I just hit Sams club and carry a few spares with me and that’s one less charger I have to have.

My Question: Is there a reasonably sized, single charger with a multiple setting that can replace all of these? I am tired of carrying so many chargers!

Shawn

I would only use a charger specifically designed for the device. Most new chargers are smart, in that they will not overcharge the battery. I don't think you will find one charger that will work with devices from different manufacturers. I bought a plastic box from Radio Shack wired a 3 hole cigarette lighter outlet in it. I plugged my phone, FRS and Ipod chargers into this outlet. It eats up some space in my tank bag, but everything gets charged that way. My gps is wired directly to the bike, so it gets charged when the ignition is on.

There is very difficult to get a "universal" charger that can properly charge different battery chemistries. A charger that is intended for Li-Ion (or Li-Polymer) cells, is fundamentally VERY different than one that charges Ni-MH or NiCAD cells. If you charge a Li-Ion cell with a charger (any charger) designed to charge Ni-MH/Ni-CAD cells, you will destroy the battery, and vice versa.

The charging rate is determined by battery capacity. A larger battery requires larger charging current. The charger has no way of "knowing" what the battery capacity is, so unless you can manually set the capacity on the charger, you could easily end up trying to charge (for example) a 650 mA-H i-Pod battery with excessive current (intended for, say, a 1500 mA-H battery), thus destroying the battery in the process.

Shawn, Radio Shack sells a charger called the Igo, you charge from the 12 volt system on your bike. Need a cigarette adapter that plugs into your power socket, get that at Powerlet.com. You buy different tips for the devices you charge. Very slick, that is what I use to charge all my junk I carry. The tips are pricey, about $18 a pop, but I think you get your choice of 2 when you buy the thing.

Archived