IGNORED

New Shoei Multitec Modular Helmet

Rusty1945

Looks like Shoei is finally upgrading the long in the tooth Syncrotec flip front helmet with the new Multitec model. They say it'll be available in mid-December. Anyone seen any early reviews or impressions of this new lid?

Link

Nice.

shoei makes great helmets and in the flip up market there are very few.

guess the big questions are weight, how well does it seal and most importantly: what head shape does it fit?

this from a uk helmet supplier:

Multitech New for 2007

The recent popularity of flip up helmets is a clear indication of the market’s demand to combine the convenience of an open face helmet with the comfortable, secure feeling of a full face helmet. When Shoei set out to design the new Multitec, they didn’t only want to meet their customers’ expectations; they wanted to blow them away! The Multitec represents the pinnacle of flip up helmet design and technology. Removable Cheekpads. Lightweight, Advanced Integrated Matrix (AIM) Shell. Sleek and aerodynamic design and combined with strict manufacturing tolerances reduce turbulence and wind noise. Supplied with, clear anti fog pin-lock visor insert, clear visor and smoke replacement visor, whisper kit incorporating neck ring and chin curtain, internal breath guard and effective chin and crown venting. Supplied with Shoei helmet bag. Double "D" ring fastener. Euro ECE-R2205 approved.

this place shows them available to buy...but the question is are they available to ship?

http://www.metricbikes-superstore.com/index.php?cPath=1979

I have a Shoei Syncrotec now and am going to be replacing it in the near future (maybe a Christmas gift to myself!!). I've owned the Syncrotec for 3 years and while a good quality flip-up, there are a couple of other things I'd like to have seen 'fixed' in the new Mulitec:

1. Removable and washable liner (nearly every other manufacturer offers this). Why Shoei Multitec doesn't is beyond me.

2. Quick release chin strap. Why do I need to spend $7 for an after market item for a $450 helmet?

I also hope they have made it easier to assemble interior autocom speakers and microphone. And I hope they have kept the face shield interoperability and not require one to go buy unique new shields (I'd like to re-use the one(s) I have.

I'll surely give this a look.

Mike O

Anyone seen any early reviews or impressions of this new lid?
Shoei makes a nice helmet, but for me, it falls a little short without having some form of integral sun shade/shield like the Concept or the new Nolan (I have both). I wear glasses and don't want to carry both clear and sunglasses all the time let alone stop to change when conditions change.

On a road I travel daily, I recently saw a rider having to shield his eyes with his hand while riding into the setting sun....adjustable sun shades are really nice to flip down/back during sunset or sunrise or even just riding from day into twilight/night without having to stop.

I have a Shoei Syncrotec now and am going to be replacing it in the near future (maybe a Christmas gift to myself!!). I've owned the Syncrotec for 3 years and while a good quality flip-up, there are a couple of other things I'd like to have seen 'fixed' in the new Mulitec:

1. Removable and washable liner (nearly every other manufacturer offers this). Why Shoei Multitec doesn't is beyond me.

2. Quick release chin strap. Why do I need to spend $7 for an after market item for a $450 helmet?

I also hope they have made it easier to assemble interior autocom speakers and microphone. And I hope they have kept the face shield interoperability and not require one to go buy unique new shields (I'd like to re-use the one(s) I have.

I'll surely give this a look.

Mike O

i personally prefer double d strap rings over a clip any day. dow do you lock your helmet with a quick release?

I liked the old Duotec but couldn't get a good fit with the Syncrotec. There was hardly any chin room and the fit around the crown of my head wasn't at all like the Duotec. Hopefully the new flip up will be based on the interior shape of the current RF-1000 which is the best fitting helmet I've ever owned. That kind of comfort with a flip up would be perfection. Don't really need the drop down shades,I've got 1.5 inch black electric tape for that. thumbsup.gif

I'm with Mr Bill on the D rings. I've always preferred them to the quick release.

i personally prefer double d strap rings over a clip any day. dow do you lock your helmet with a quick release?

Mr. Bill,

The same way I lock it regardless of the release mechanism. I open up the RT's luggage bag, drop as much the longest portion of the strap as I can lower into the bag, and then close/lock the bag up again. The bag holds the helmet in place by the strap just fine. Been doing that for 3 years now. It's as secure as any other mechanism I've seen and pretty convenient, too.

BTW, when attaching the quick release, it's NOT necessary to remove the existing D-rings. Me, I hate fiddling with the D-rings especially if I already have my gloves on.

I'm curious why you prefer the D-rings.

Mike O

'Scuse my ignorance, but what does this $450 helmet provide that the Nolan doesn't? I have the Nolan 100E. I paid @ $200 for it. It seems to have everything that the Shoei has

I haven't had any luck with Nolan helmets. They don't fit me well. I know several riders who love them. If the real world price on the new Shoei flip up is around $325, and it's a good comfortable fit, it's worth it. That said, getting any kind of deal on that helmet probably won't happen while it's a brand new item. Late summer 07 might be a better time to find a price break.

My Nolan was a little uncomfortable at first. It might be a little on the small side - but I think the next size up would have been too big.

When the helmet was new, it was really tight on my forehead - just below my hairline. I took the back side of a spoon, and pressed the foam down a little. This made a big difference.

I think the next helmet will be a modular with the retractable sunshade thumbsup.gif

I'm curious why you prefer the D-rings.

Mike O

Mike,

I also prefer the double D rings. I know it's a little more difficult to attach when you get on your ride, but once you have it on, you can snug it down with infinate adjustments. I also like the fact that I've no need to worry about a latch failing, it just seems more secure. Of course, if I was really so concerned about failing latches, I wouldn't be considering a flip up!! Go Figure!

I use a locking mechanism called Echo Helmet Buckle. Complete information can be found here.
I tried these and found it too difficult to line up the buckles under my chin (i.e. out of sight) to latch it. I can feel my way with D-rings much easier.

My new lt. silver Multitec came wed.

A ride is scheduled with it,tomorrow, Black Friday..

I have a Shoei head so the Nolan will not fit me although I tried and tried.

DD rings rule!

My new lt. silver Multitec came wed.

A ride is scheduled with it,tomorrow, Black Friday..

I have a Shoei head so the Nolan will not fit me although I tried and tried.

DD rings rule!

What were your previous helmets? Be sure to post a review here Ok?? If I had any daylight past 6pm, I'd go for a ride too....WHAAAAAA

I have a Shoei head apparently. RJ Airs and Z-IIs so far.

I have a brand new Schuberth C2 that I thought would work but a short ride showed me that there is a pressure point on my forehead that will become painfull on longer rides.

White XXL if anyone is interested. A total of 26 miles on it while wearing a head sock.

I sat around the house for an hour with the Multitec on and was comfortable but it gets heavy just setting and reading.

I think that it looks nice too.

Rain and freezing temps are delaying any ride until this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I am reviving this thread a bit late, but I just discovered the Multitec at the BMW Atlanta open house this weekend. I have an Arai Signet head (long oval) and I thought I would have to totally give up hope in finding a flip helmet that would fit me. I wore the Multitec around for a bit and it does not have that familiar pressure on the forehead that the Nolan (all versions that I have tried), Schubert and even the previous Shoei Synchrotec had. I didn't take the leap yet, but am interested to hear if any other long oval heads find the Multitec to be the right fit.

Cheers, Lynne

Hey! A flip-up for Signet-heads? I gotta check this out! Of course, I just bought a new Arai Profile (the Signet replacement) a few months ago to replace my old Signet, having given up on any other helmet fitting me.

I just bought one. It is a really nice helmet. I have a long oval head myself and this one still gives me a pressure point on the forehead. I think it is made for a bit rounder head like the RF-1000.

I made the cardinal sin and compressed the the forehead region foam a bit to make it fit. I know, but I want to be able to use the helmet. I also had to order additional larger cheekpads to make it fit also. I guess after I throw enough money at it, and ruin the integrity of the helmet some more, I'll have a comfortable piece.

Oh how I hate to hear that the Multitec still gives you that dreaded pressure point...I guess I will have to do some foam mashing myself or keep waiting. frown.gif

But thanks anyway for posting your experience!

Lynne

Archived