IGNORED

What a stupid freaking way to drop it!

NEOHMark

Well - I finally dropped a streetbike. In hopes it doesn't happen to anyone else, here's something you might consider next time you're riding in the rain:

I went to see my dad at the nursing home yesterday and the forecast was for occasional rain. It was not raining when I left the house, but the roads were wet and about halfway there, it started to drizzle a bit.

So I get to the parking lot of the nursing home, find a spot, and back my RT in. The bike was pointed downhill EVER so slightly, so I figured rather than leaving it in gear and on the side stand, I'll hoist her up on the centerstand. So plant my foot on the tab, rock her a bit side to side to make sure I'm 'square', and start the move - the step down/pull back combination to get her on the stand.

Unfortunately, about 1/3 of the way up, my wet boot slipped completely off the wet tab. By this time, the rr tire was already in the air. So naturally, it came crashing down fast and hard. Equally as naturally, the bike couldn't bounce/lean MY way - it had to go the opposite way. It literally slipped out of my hands before I could react.

So now I'm part of the 'drop' club. Damage asssessment? One broken RH drivers peg, a busted RH mirror glass, and a nice pair of gouges on the RH mirror housing paint. Oh- and a nasty set of gouges on the RH cylinder head cover.

I don't know if a little oil got on my boot from the parking lot, or if some oil/water mix got sprayed onto the stand tab, or if it was just the water that made it slippery - but I'll think twice about EVER using the center stand again in wet weather. I may relegate the center stand to just wash/detail and service/maintenance duty from now on.

Hoping someone else can learn from my misfortune. What a STUPID way to drop a bike. I'm so pissed about it, I could spit flames. frown.gif

One month ago I changed bikes from a Ducati, with no center stand, to a 2004 BMW R114r Rockster.

The first week I had the BMW this exact same thing happened to me, with one small difference... the bike fell towards me and I was lucky enough to prevent it and me from falling.

That foot tang on the center stand is very slick. I'm going to try to do something to make the top of that tang less slick. I was thinking of trying some of that tape back stuff available at hardware stores used to put on stair treads or maybe a little of that rubberized stuff used to coat wrench handles and before it dries sprinkle some fine sand on it.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do to make the center stand foot tang less slick? confused.gif

Sorry you dropped your bike... frown.gif

Thanks for the post!

Joe

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do to make the center stand foot tang less slick?
I'd consider doing something like JBweld (epoxy) mixed with sand. You could try it on something else first to see how it sets up.
Joe Frickin' Friday
Does anyone have any ideas of what to do to make the center stand foot tang less slick? confused.gif

Get an automatic centerpunch and crater the heck out of the c-stand foot tang. Downside is this would penetrate the paint and encourage rust.

Alternative:

Get some grit-traction tape from the hardware store and cover the face of c-stand foot tang. It may wear out, but you can remove/replace at your convenience.

Sorry to hear about your drop. I know exactly how you feel about dorking up your stuff. It makes me really mad when I do something like that, especially when I do something bonehead to cause it. However, it doesn't look, or sound, like you did anything boneheaded or stupid to cause it. You made a sound decision based on your environment at the time. I know that doesn't fix your bike, but don't beat yourself up over it. Most of all, thanks for sharing this painful experience with us. It certainly will make me think when riding in wet weather or slippery conditions. Hope your bike is fixed quick and your riding is enjoyable.

What a STUPID way to drop a bike.

Just add this to the ever-growing list of stupid ways to drop a bike, of which I've participated in many.

The really important thing is that it is good if no one actually saw you drop your bike. This way, when someone comes by and asks what happened, you can blame it on the wind, someone else, etc. smirk.gif

Thanks for trying to make me feel better - but it was stupid. I had TWO chances for this not to have happened. One - I was 'this close' (fingers held 1/8" apart) to leaving the bike at home because they called for a chance of heavy rain. But nooooooo - I have to check the damn radar online to see the heavy stuff was still a couple hours away. Two - I could've just used the damn side stand. I don't know why, but I thought the bike might be more stable setting on the center stand. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I'm gonna 'coulda - shoulda' this thing to death over the next couple days. At least until my replacement RH peg comes in and I can start riding again. grin.gif

I have seen boat deck tape used on centrestand footplates, as a way of providing more grip. This may help.

Personally, I always leave the bike in gear when parking, whichever stand I use. Also, when pushing the bike around (engine off), I always have it in gear, and pull the clutch in. If it starts to roll away, just drop the clutch to halt it. Useful if manouevering on slight slopes, etc. DAMHIK wink.gif

.....fortunately with no one around. blush.gif

Yeah - the one good thing I found out about the whole ordeal is that 'plant your butt in the seat and walk the bike up' technique that little itty-bitty lady preaches actually works! Never had the chance to try it before but I can tell you now that it works as advertised. thumbsup.gif

I'm gonna 'coulda - shoulda' this thing to death over the next couple days. At least until my replacement RH peg comes in and I can start riding again. grin.gif

That's alot of COWS to live with ... (Coulda Oughta Woulda Shoulda grin.gif )

Sorry to hear about the drop but hope you're up and riding again very soon. wave.gif

Man don't be so hard on yourself, you are a member of a very large club now. I stepped right off of my Vmax in the garage one day and completely forgot to put the kickstand down, and to make it worse my buddy was standing there and laughing to hard to help me pick it up. That was a bad day.

The BMW sales guy was very helpful, he took me out and spent several minutes showing me the best way to put it on the center stand (grant it, it was not raining). He mentioned to leave the kick stand down and to turn the front tire away from you as far as possible. This helps to prevent the bike from falling away from you if something goes wrong and the kick stand may help to catch it if comes your way. It is still very intimidating to put that thing with a full tank of gas up on the center stand without a spotter..

At least you didn't get hurt, things can be fixed.

I stepped right off of my Vmax in the garage one day and completely forgot to put the kickstand down,..

I did the same damned thing, only I dropped mine right after arriving at home with it for the first time. Crikes. I was enraged to the point of almost bursting into tears. pist.gif

The only good thing to come out of that experience is that before getting off the bike, I consciously check to make sure the side stand is down securely and I do this every single time, even after having dismounted probably thousands of times since.

Personally, I always leave the bike in gear when parking, whichever stand I use. Also, when pushing the bike around (engine off), I always have it in gear, and pull the clutch in. If it starts to roll away, just drop the clutch to halt it. Useful if manouevering on slight slopes, etc. DAMHIK wink.gif

That's excellent tim ! Using clutch for rear brake !

And NEOHmark, standing left, turn bars a bit to right; that way bike leans toward you and not away.

Welcome to the stupid freaking ways to drop it club.

a dented

colorado red

airhead

gas tank

testifies

to my membership.

Wooster

I got an idea....don't put your bike on the center stand again....unless your workin on the bike it has no purpose...and your foot won't slip off again.

Ptth. Uphill, downhill. Amateurs. A real pro can drop it on a level driveway.....fortunately with no one around. blush.gif

No way-a real pro has a good sized audience-preferably all riders....

dopeslap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

All the drops are stupid, the method hardly matters. This from someone who has just about managed every conceivable way to do it.

I would suggest a file taken to the surface of the tang and file a crosshatch pattern on the thing like the checkering on a gun stock. The better and sharper the points you can make, the better the job it will do. After, prime and paint with one of the epoxy paints designed for garage floors.

You might wish to examine your choice of footwear as well. No leather soles, Vibram probably the best at that anti-skid stuff. Not rubber, when wet it can be slicker than snot on a doorknob.

Ptth. Uphill, downhill. Amateurs. A real pro can drop it on a level driveway.....fortunately with no one around. blush.gif

No way-a real pro has a good sized audience-preferably all riders....

dopeslap.gif

They should also be hoisting brews watching the late arrival perform this stunt. Drop of bike to refreshment in hand should be no more than 60 seconds, including smart @ss remarks.

I feel your pain. I dropped mine (dumb mistake I had already made once before in a parking lot) and since I was already ON the bike, down I went with it, went down so hard and fast I didn't have time to get my foot out from under it. Pegs hit the inside of my foot and I have been gimping around on a monster splint since the end of August. Bones are healed, but the nerves got some damage. We are about a step away from excising those nerves if the steriod shot fails this go around. I know you wish it had tipped your way, but the bike can get fixed much quicker than a possible broken bone or torn shoulder from trying to keep the bike from falling. I know how sick it makes you feel just to see the broken bike and it's scrapes and such, but I am glad you didn't end up under it.

but I'll think twice about EVER using the center stand again in wet weather. I may relegate the center stand to just wash/detail and service/maintenance duty from now on.

I don't think you should beat yourself up too much about the decisions to ride in the rain or to use the center stand. Stuff happens. I have dropped mine from the side stand (leaning against the bike to hold a helmet between me and it with a wind behind me), from the center stand in perfectly dry weather and a half dozen other ways. I once broke a foot peg plate and I have the requisite scratches on both mirrors. The only way to insure you will never have a zero-speed drop is to leave it home. I prefer to just just ride it and accept that once in a while it is going over.

I guess I have one other comment about the suggestions for increasing friction on the center stand lever arm. My suggestion is to refine your technique so that you don't rely on levering the bike up onto the center stand. Generally, I put just enough pressure on the center stand lever to hold the center stand against the ground. I rely on momentum to pull the bike up and onto the center stand. I am only 5-11 and 145 pounds and not much upper body strength. If I can do it, anyone can.

I'm in the club too!! Did the exact same thing with my Honda Shadow three years ago in the garage. Like they say there are those of us who have dropped a bike and those that are going too!!!

Mark

Just in case anyone ever breaks a peg - it might be helpful to know the front and rr pegs are interchangeable on their respective sides. I wish I would've known that when I broke it off - I could've switched the rr to the front right there in the parking lot. As it was, I rode home with my boot heel propped up on the 'stub'. lmao.gif

With three beauuuuutiful days forecast now through Friday, I figured I'd try switching the pegs and voila! Same part front and rear.

AdventurePoser
I feel your pain. I dropped mine (dumb mistake I had already made once before in a parking lot) and since I was already ON the bike, down I went with it, went down so hard and fast I didn't have time to get my foot out from under it. Pegs hit the inside of my foot and I have been gimping around on a monster splint since the end of August. Bones are healed, but the nerves got some damage. We are about a step away from excising those nerves if the steriod shot fails this go around. I know you wish it had tipped your way, but the bike can get fixed much quicker than a possible broken bone or torn shoulder from trying to keep the bike from falling. I know how sick it makes you feel just to see the broken bike and it's scrapes and such, but I am glad you didn't end up under it.

Dang, KC, that is terrible! I dropped my RT on Santa Rosa Rd up near Cambria CA and ended up underneath it as well. Fortunately nothing damaged but my pride. Still, I was caught like a bug, and then to make matters worse, I couldn't lift it back up immediately...

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Thanks for trying to make me feel better - but it was stupid. One - I was 'this close' (fingers held 1/8" apart) to leaving the bike at home because they called for a chance of heavy rain.

I think leaving the bike home would havd heen stupid. grin.gif

Dropping it has nothing to do with that disition. I've heard of people, like me, who have dropped their bike in sunny weather.

After the shock of dropping my 1200RT when I was all alone I remembered the instructional CD on how to get it up....Side cases on and all I did it by myself (twice actually as I forgot to put the kick stand down first and had to lay it back down) and not with too much effort...Figured Medicare would pay for damage anyway...I'll watch that video again....

The survey run on another thread showed that about 75% or us drop our bikes (or at least admit to it).....So we better know how to pick them up without blowing out a disc in our backs...

Phil...............Redbrick

I did the same thing on a flat surface at a gas station after getting caught in the wet a week after I bought my RT. I second guessed myself just like you are...why didn't I use the side stand when all I wanted to do was put some gas in the thing and wait around for the rain to end? JoeV offered the solution I used. I went to Home Depot and bought an inexpensive roll of non-slip tape that's used on stairs. It's just like a heavy grit sandpaper. Just cut off a couple inches of length, peel off the paper backing, and stick it to the tab on the center stand. Never had another problem with it. Lasts a long time too, and then you have all that long roll of replacement materials.

• 3 weeks later...

Sucks big time. I did it twice on the same trip.

I hate the center stand on the '04 RT.

It is VERY flexible and doesn't give a solid feel that the stand is down and square.

Second you really have to push down AND pull up hard so anything unusual and its gone.

Third it sometime very hard to wiggle your foot onto the stand if you have very much cleat on your boot.

Fourth the bike is really in the air so getting it off the stand can be a challenge as well.

I hate that center stand.

Sucks big time. I did it twice on the same trip.

I hate the center stand on the '04 RT.

It is VERY flexible and doesn't give a solid feel that the stand is down and square.

Second you really have to push down AND pull up hard so anything unusual and its gone.

Third it sometime very hard to wiggle your foot onto the stand if you have very much cleat on your boot.

Fourth the bike is really in the air so getting it off the stand can be a challenge as well.

I hate that center stand.

A tip - push down firmly not hard and pull backwards not up. The bike will leap on to the stand as if by magic - honest.

When taking the bike off the stand many folk like to sit on the bike and push it off. I am too short for that and simply grasp both bars and push forwards. This tends to turn the bars away from me so if there is any lean from vertical, it is towrds me and controlable.

Andy

David_Charlton

Hi Mark, I got my obligitory 3 drops over with in quick succession, the first doing the most damage and the third drop got me so annoyed I ended up displaying more strength than the hulk and just picked it up after an attempted u turn!!! David

• 3 weeks later...

Well I supose it had to happen, parking the bike in town today I was driving up onto the pavement, front wheel went up and I realised I'd nowhere to put my feet over she went and I fell off, can't belive how easy I got it back upright (5'7" and 10 1/5 stone) anyway the mirror popped off and there is a couple of scuff marks on the pannier which seems to help absorbing the impact, a small crack in the dash other than that no damage, but I would'nt like to make a habit of it.

Really stupid me, dropped bike leaving my friends gravel driveway. Instead of riding in the road's rutted tracks, I chose to ride on the higher center. When I stopped at the gate to say, "g'bye", I put my right foot down......into the rut. BOOM! Regretfully, my friend was in a wheelchair and he lives in the country, so no help available. All by myself, I righted the bike.

I've since learned proper way to lift bike; and, have successfully used the technique several times. successfully

Oh, where to begin...

Don't-

- Run for an hour at the gym and then ride home and believe you can still put your bike on a center stand...I got my little Bandit 600 half way up, and then it came right back down, bounced and fell over.

- Ride home on your brand new Shadow, and try to show off your riding skills by making a sharp right turn downhill in a steeply sloped parking space. Bike fall down go boom. Fortunately I bought it used and the dealer was replacing the exhaust heat shields for me anyway.

- Ride 5 hours after working all day, stop at your 3rd hotel without reservations, and ask for a room. Park in loose gravel and then crank the handle bars over on gravel- covered, sloped ground as you ride angrily towards your 4th hotel... -You know R1150RTs are a little top-heavy? Now I know too. -Don't ride angry...re-learned this lesson too. Sorta two for the price of one[fall].

- Don't park uphill, in steeply sloped parking spot, and then decide to stretch the kinks out of your back one last time before leaving, by leaning waayyy back. So far back that you take your hands off the grips, allowing the wheel to turn, as your bike begins to roll backwards, moving the bike way away from your center of gravity, lifting your feet off the ground, helpless as you tip over... Would you believe I was stone-cold sober at the time?

Need I say more? dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

BeniciaRT_GT
Oh, where to begin...

- Don't park uphill, in steeply sloped parking spot, and then decide to stretch the kinks out of your back one last time before leaving, by leaning waayyy back. So far back that you take your hands off the grips, allowing the wheel to turn, as your bike begins to roll backwards, moving the bike way away from your center of gravity, lifting your feet off the ground, helpless as you tip over... Would you believe I was stone-cold sober at the time?

Need I say more? dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Now THAT would be worth seeing in person!!!

lmao.gif

Now THAT would be worth seeing in person!!!

lmao.gif

Yes, yes, 2 shows a night and 3 on Saturday...no pushing, no shoving, there's plenty of room to watch Doofus drop his motorcycle....

But really, I forgot all about the ache in my lower back...picking up my new RT was a great workout.

Yes indeed, there are many stupid freaking ways to drop a bike. To be fair to us all, these bikes are so heavy that once things start to go wrong, there's usually no saving it. Here's my confession.

Angle of pavement: dead level

Speed: zero mph.

Bike: RT.

Weather: dry, 72 degrees F

Visibility: clear, good light at 4:00 p.m.

Stupidity in the air factor: high

Me: "Anyone want to ride on the back for a short ride? No? Okay. See you all later."

I mount the bike and start the engine. Flip side stand up, ready to leave.

William: "Wait, Dad, I changed my mind. I want to go."

Me: "OK, let's get your gear on." I turn off the bike. I... think the side stand is still...down for some reason. Of course, it is... up. Nevertheless, I shall commence dismount and help William with his gear.

I dismount on the left and let the bike start to tip towards me. The side stand should...grab the weight any second now... WHOA! This thing is falling. "William, HELP." Somehow, William darts over and at the last possible nanosecond helps me catch the bike...and..push bike back up. I am shaken. My shoulder hurts. No ride today. Must think.

Now, like others, I check the side stand every single time.

Got a tip from another RT rider. First, he says, park on the level or uphill, never downhill where the side stand can retract itself. Second, he says he never uses the kill switch or the key to turn off the engine. Instead, he leaves the bike in 1st gear and kicks down the side stand, which as you know will kill the engine. This way, he says, the side side will always be down when he dismounts plus the bike is in gear which will help prevent it rolling. I've adopted this advice.

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes indeed, there are many stupid freaking ways to drop a bike."

Ahh, yes, but how many smart ways to drop a bike are there?

I was stupid, 840 miles into the ride that day, tired, low speed turnaround in parking lot. Velocity = 0 is a poor way to keep angular momentum. Scuffed the engine guard. $#@#!

I almost dropped mine yesterday as I pulled up to a stop sign. The road fell away to the right so when I stopped I should have leaned to the left and supported the bike with my left foot. Being inseam challenged I ended up leaning to the right due to gravity and almost dropped it. Whew that was a close one.

I almost dropped mine yesterday as I pulled up to a stop sign. The road fell away to the right so when I stopped I should have leaned to the left and supported the bike with my left foot. Being inseam challenged I ended up leaning to the right due to gravity and almost dropped it. Whew that was a close one.

That is exactly what happened to me - the only difference is I was on an incline.

I never feel comfortable parking off road on dirt (especially wet) or gravel. I got sick of searching for little stones to rest the side stand. I sleep on the bike at nite on long trips with center stand down and was not sure about the surfaces, so my rest suffers.

I made this plate from plywood scrap.1/2" X 6" X 14" =/- (enough for center stand). Its important that you make it from scrap, because when you forget it, it doesn't matter. Don't ask me how I know.

I throw it down , hold the string, line it up under the stand with boot, rest stand, lay string over clutch grip and walk away. On remount, side stand up, fish up plate with string, secure string and put in BMW tank bag. The Rags Plate was tested in Baja silt.

124551686-S.jpg

124551902-S.jpg

Archived