IGNORED

Big Sur overnight camping ride

TonyS

Will someone please help me with the picture link. I can't get them to appear in the post. Thanks, Tony

Two weeks ago (Nov 4) ten of us from the Santa Barbara BMW Riders Group rode up the coast to Big Sur for an overnight camping trip. Our overnight trips are not heavily organized. “Here are the two reserved campsites, bring what you want to eat, see you there.” Seven of us traveled together, three others met us at the campsite. This trip was extra special for me as my fourteen year old daughter would be riding with me. This would be our first overnight trek. Her longest previous ride was twenty minutes.

110716550-L.jpg

We went up the coast as far as Cayucos and turned inland. There are a lot of backloads that wander through the hills of central CA.

110708647-Medium.jpg

I was a little nervous with my daughter on the back and all the camping gear adding that much more additional weight. She was good about looking over my inside shoulder and the bike handled just fine. Our route took us past Lake Nacimiento and through the Hunter Liggett Military Base. You have to produce current registration, insurance card, and a driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement and you’re free to ride on through.

110708388-M.jpg

We picked up Nacimiento/Fergusson Rd. in the base and rode it twenty four miles back to Highway 1. This isn’t much of a road, barely 1 ½ lanes wide, but it winds a lot and is all ours. Much of it is in the shade of the hills and oak trees. We stop at a campground for lunch and to stretch our legs. 110708500-M.jpg

In addition to the oaks here are a lot of sycamore trees in the area that have just dropped their leaves. 110716496-M.jpg

I suspect these leaves are slippery as ice when piled on the damp pavement, but fortunately there is a narrow path through them. A bit later the trees open up and the trail through the leaves widens. 110716523-M.jpg

We may not be look, lean, and rolling, but this is really cool. In a few more miles we crest the hill and look out over the Pacific Ocean.

110708328-M.jpg

By this time we are close to getting back on Highway 1.

110716570-M.jpg Now, Highway 1 is known for its hills and curves, but compared to the road just traveled it seems a superslab.

We arrive at the Big Sur campground about an hour before dark. 110716433-M.jpg (this picture was actually taken the next morning) and meet up with the rest of the riders. Some of the group went to local restaurants while others of us prepared gourmet meals over the camp stoves. All of us gathered around the campfire to talk motorcycles, tell jokes, solve riddles, laugh, chat, and chat, and chat. My daughter was asked if she preferred going fast or going through the turns. Her reply was “I prefer to go fast through the turns”. Uh oh.

There are a lot of backloads that wander through the hills of central CA.

Sssshhhhhh blush.gif

My daughter was asked if she preferred going fast or going through the turns. Her reply was “I prefer to go fast through the turns”. Uh oh.

Uh Oh is right crazy.gifgrin.gif

Looks like a good time smile.gif

AdventurePoser

Tony,

nice ride report....I love ferguson naciemento road. in fact, our paraglider launch site is at a place called 'wild cattle' which is near the summit, before you start heading down to pch.

I took this shot while flying with my instructor last winter...

73240531-M.jpg

cheers,

steve in so cal

Archived