IGNORED

cruise control for '04 R1150RT

mdjohnson

Has anyone seen any retro fit applications of the new electronic cruise control for the newer 1200 models applied to the older models? Thanks.

Mark

The hexhead series cruise gets its speed, clutch, brake and gear selection switches positions, etc. info from the ZFE module. Which doesn't exist on the 1150 series. I believe the adaptation would be impossible.

When I owned my 04 R1150RT I asked the same question about using the R1200 cruise control and was told it cannot be done. I have heard their is an aftermarket cruise control you can buy and install. The cost was about $600-$800 from what I recall. Unfortunately I have no information about the product.

Don_Eilenberger

Not exactly the same - but the $1.00 "O" ring behind the grip works fine for me.. it can maintain a constant speed on level ground, and takes the effort out of keeping the throttle open.

Has anyone seen any retro fit applications of the new electronic cruise control for the newer 1200 models applied to the older models? Thanks.

Mark

Mark - The first indication that you're on the wrong road is that you reach for the cruise control.grin.gif

If you found a better set of roads, you should eliminate the need. As a rest break for my wrist, I use Bob's wrist rest.

Regards,

Bill Allen

Here's another vote for the O-ring trick. If you want to go first class, use the John Deere yellow one, for ~$3. Otherwise, your basic black O-ring works just fine. A Throttlerocker is nice, too. That would bring your total outlay to, say, $12-$15.

Thanks everyone for your input, and to some of your witty replys. I got a couple of leads. Everyone have a good and safe holiday season.

Mark

I applied a Rostra electronic unit to my '96 R1100RT about 135K miles ago and wouldn't be without it. It took a fair amount of planning and effort, and if doing it again, I'd look hard for a dedicated RT system (there's a unit available from Australia, I recall).

Archived