IGNORED

RT1150 Performance exhaust? &Thank you all for your kind welcome.

sonofdennis

Thank you all for your kind welcome. I am a tweaker, even though half the time I regret my "improvements" made to my machines :-) Until I am forced into some form of tweaker rehab I would like to know if there is a recommended exhaust system for the RT1150? Not too loud just a better flow and seat of the pants feel. Dealer pushes Remus... but i know nothing.

Alan

russell_bynum

You're not going to get improved performance out of any of the aftermarket exhausts for the oilhead BMW's.

Why? The stock exhaust is already quite good and is not a performance bottleneck.

As for the sound, I personally like the Remus the best (with the resonator that goes where the stock cataltic coverter was and the extra baffle in place at the end of the pipe) because I think it gives a nice mix of more/better sound without being over the top and/or obnoxious. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

russell_bynum
Thank you. What is the performance bottle neck? I don't often hear of anyone making performance enhancements to BMW's.

Alan

Thank you. What is the performance bottle neck? I don't often hear of anyone making performance enhancements to BMW's.

Alan

My understanding is that modest gains can be had by porting/polishing the heads. Mind you, I haven't done it, but I've heard of a few people that have.

Jim's got it right, though...the best way to improve the performance on your bike is to upgrade the nut that connects the saddle to the handlebars. smile.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

The 900 bucks or so you will spend for a performance exhaust will buy two days of Code school. The result will make everything you ride faster.

I really (read, REALLY) like my Remus. No, it doesn't improve performance at all. But I think it looks better than stock and it sure (read: SURE) does sound better than stock. I let a friend of mine ride it through the Cherohala and followed on his RT, and the Remus really does make my heart flutter. But, as the others have said, that's a whole lotta money for just sound. You have to make a list of your priorities I guess.

After riding a VFR for a few years it was quite a shock to the system when I rode my RT. The sound of the RT was just so agricultural it bothered me. Replaced the exhaust system with someone elses (on this site) recommendation to use a VFR stock can with an S pipe. Used my stock VFR can and made the mod and it does sound better. Not loud but deeper.

Another thought, it is more widely accepted that the weakest link in the RT's performance as a whole is the suspension, not the engine. As far as making it a more capable bike, you'll get more bang for your buck there than in exhaust and such.

(And the environment will thank you. Someone just knew I was going to say that, now didn't you! grin.gif)

My '99 RT sounds just great with the Remus system; faster no but mellower yes. The GS intake tubes did more for performance in the most often used RPM ranges. What others said about the nut behind the handle bars.

Ride well.

Bruce smile.gif

I have a Remus exhaust and can't say it made much if any difference in performance. Rejumpering the EFI made more difference. The Remus Sport is louder but is sensible and at steady speeds. I can still talk with my wife while riding. One thing I noticed is it eliminated the problem of having inattenive pedestrians that walk down rural roads in the direction of traffic from crossing in front of me because they now hear something and couldn't hear my nearly silent factory exhaust. The Remus looks nice and like all aftermarket stuff it is really a personal preference, if it makes you smile or feel better go for it!. I bought my Exhaust system used with 3k miles on it from a board member at 1/2 the dealer cost.

mikefigielski

The bottleneck is the heads. I had mine ported and gained approx 5-6 Hp and 5-6 ft/lbs of torque in the mid and upper rpm range. My bike is an early model 1100 with the larger valves and my understanding is that the later model 1100 and 1150 bikes achieve a smaller gain, more on the line of 3-4 Hp and 3-4 ft/lbs of torque from this mod. High compression pistons are available which give a nice gain also across the rpm range. If you want to tweak without getting into the motor so much, a Techlusion or Power Comander along with an exhaust and switching to the GS/R intake tubes will dramatically improve throttle response and seat of the pants feel. I made my own cat eliminator exhaust with a Two Brothers crossover pipe and a Suzuki GSXR muffler. Deeper sound, not too loud and much cheaper than aftermarket systems. It takes big money and a lot of work to get any substantial gains. I am a hopeless tweaker and enjoy this kind of thing, but the gains are limited. I am building a 1200 motor for my old '94 RS this winter using an R1200C bottom end and cylinders with BB Power 12:1 pistons, cams and lightened cam followers along with my large valve early model ported heads, cat eliminator exhaust, Power Commander and SJ BMW intake kit. Hoping to see approx 95-100 rear wheel HP and close to 80 ft/lbs of torque when it is done. On the dyno I use the stock bike shows about 71 Hp and 65 ft/lbs of torque. None of this makes any sense $$ wise, but I have access to used parts for 0$ and I really enjoy the mechanical aspect of modifying my bike. It is challenging to see if I can keep my old bike close to BMW's newest bikes in performance even if I can't do much about the weight difference!

Mike

Archived