IGNORED

What happened to Motoport?

VladtheImpaler

Russell,

I don't know. I had an email from Wayne a couple of days ago. He's coming to the KLR tech day in Julian this Saturday - that's the arrangement, anyway. I hope all is well with them.

all the best,

Mike

Keep us informed as to what is going on with them ie. new location, etc. I ordered a GP-2 jacket from them a year ago and got it in March 06. It is very well made and comfortable. I plan on wearing it for many years to come. A buddy of mine has had the same jacket for about 10 years now and it still looks great.

I'll be sure to post. I had a great conversation with him on the phone. He's been taking a good deal of undeserved (IMHO) grief on the infamous adv site. I've only seen positive comments by people that use his gear. I know some are not so happy about the wait, but only seen positive after they get it.

all the best,

Mike

The server is Big Pipe Inc out of Alberta - Calgary and everything is fine on their end.

So it's a 404 error or misconfiguration on the users part.

The disconserting part is a disconnected phone.

Maybe just a "reorganization" is taking place dopeslap.giflmao.gif

Tony

What is Cycleport's website address? For some reason I always googled it as Motoport and it came up right away. This time it did not. Thanks.

Keith

Cycleport was "stolen" and parked. Basically it's for sale.

This happens when you let a domain lapse and fall out of your control. There is a 30 to 45 day holding period for the original owner to pay up when they don't next in line get's it. That's what happened to cycleport.

Thus motoport is now the only "active" address. This registration falls out in 2008 though it's been active since 1997 so it should be back up at some point.

I just checked the web site... They are up and running.

I purchased the mesh kevlar pant and waited 10 rather than the 12 weeks.

I am extremely pleased and impressed with the design, construction, quality and comfort of the motoport garment. Before my purchase, I spent hours comparing pants on the internet and reading reviews on a number of different websites including the advrider forum.

Everywhere I went the ONLY negative thing people had to complain about was waiting so long for the delivery (and the website).

Regarding the website... this is not much of an issue since Wayne is (was?) fairly easy to get a hold of over the phone and was willing to answer any questions about his products, they even send out fabric swatches for those needing to feel the texture before their purchase.

As far as I'm concerned, the complaint over the wait is also irrelevant and should only be chalked up as a "minor-inconvenience", (kinda like airport security?), but well worth it in the long run. And most importantly has absolutely no bearing or implication for the quality of the garment(s) produced. This is top notch stuff!

About a week before my pants came I was at a motoguzzi event and I saw some older guy with a pair of very well worn in motoport pants. I asked him how did he like his pants... he responded that his pant's were "well over 10 years old" and that he simply wouldn't wear anything else.

Now, I don't know if Wayne was in business "well-over-ten-years ago" but this fellows enthusiasm was impressive.

I sure hope they don't go out of business because I can't wait to order a jacket!

eek.gif

Angel

I purchased the GP-2 jacket from Wayne and received it in March. So far it has been a great jacket. Looks good, feels good, and I fully expect to wear it for at least 10 years. I would recommend the upgraded liner when you order your jacket. It is worth the few extra $$.

Angel

I purchased the GP-2 jacket from Wayne and received it in March. So far it has been a great jacket. Looks good, feels good, and I fully expect to wear it for at least 10 years. I would recommend the upgraded liner when you order your jacket. It is worth the few extra $$.

I would like to buy one myself but at $700 dollars for the jacket and liners I will just have to wait...a long time. bncry.gifbncry.gif

I have ordered the kevlar mesh jacket, pants and liners. They are scheduled to ship on Thursday..You guys are scaring me a little.. frown.gif

I'll let you know what happens..

They have great quality products. The Ultra II Kevlar mesh is as close to year round gear as I have found anywhere. They tell you up front about the wait so I can't fault them for that.

Pay with a credit card & don't worry about their web site being off line or whatever it was).

VladtheImpaler

Okay it's confirmed. The website is back up and the 800 number on the site goes through. I'll find out manana when I call to order the Mesh gear.

I would like to buy one myself but at $700 dollars for the jacket and liners I will just have to wait...a long time. bncry.gifbncry.gif

Admittedly, its EXPENSIVE "top notch" stuff...and thats the reason why I didn't/couldn't order both jacket and pants at the same time. frown.gif

On the other hand I considered getting a roadcrafter Aero suit. If I recall correctly, I think this was my second choice (about $800-$900? for jacket and pant).

I concluded that when you compare garments of similiar quality... they will be expensive and you WILL spend about $1,000. My opinion is that this is expensive no question about it...but anybody price a full leather quality racing suit lately?

While I have no intentions of "going down" My personal approach was to buy the best protection I could find (just in case I do go down). I would much rather make the effort to spend the money now than kick myself in the arse later ( if I have one left after sliding XXX yards on the ground) because I didn't spend the money.

Thats how I rationalize the expense. smirk.gif

I love mine. It's kevlar air mesh. Here's a tip for cold weather. Order the Aero-tex rain jacket and pants to wear over the kevlar mesh jacket and pants. That will creat a larger dead air space between you and the outside cold, plus it's more convenient to slip on when the afternoon turns chilly.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived