IGNORED

ignition coil - does it matter which spark plug wire goes where?

Chip

As both plugs fire at the same time, does it matter which spark plug wire goes in which plug of the ignition coil?

Just purchased a Bosch ignition coil (model 259; Oilhead #BOIgnCoil-R978)) for my '96 R1100RT. The original BMW coil had a plug on the left and right. No brainer as to which spark plug wire went where. The Bosch coil however, has the plugs in line with the bike...not left and right. Mounting brackets are fine.

My appologies for the double post...you'd think I'd have figured out the difference between reply and post dopeslap.gif

As both plugs fire at the same time, does it matter which spark plug wire goes in which plug of the ignition coil?

Just purchased a Bosch ignition coil (model 259; Oilhead #BOIgnCoil-R978)) for my '96 R1100RT. The original BMW coil had a plug on the left and right. No brainer as to which spark plug wire went where. The Bosch coil however, has the plugs in line with the bike...not left and right. Mounting brackets are fine.

My appologies for the double post...you'd think I'd have figured out the difference between reply and post dopeslap.gif

Chip, as Ken said, it really doesn’t matter.. The BMW oil head is a wasted spark type system that uses one ign coil to spark 2 spark plugs (in series).. One side spark plug sparks normally with the spark jumping from the plug’s center electrode to the plug’s side electrode & the other side spark plug sparks side electrode to center electrode (reverse polarity).. The secondary side is a continuous loop leaving one side of the coil’s secondary winding,, going through one side spark plug, across the cylinder heads & block, back up through the other side’s spark plug & plug wire, then returning to the other end of the secondary winding..

If you reverse the plug wires at the coil all that happens is the spark plug firing polarity changes sides (no big deal)..

Twisty

)...The secondary side is a continuous loop leaving one side of the coil’s secondary winding,, going through one side spark plug, across the cylinder heads & block, back up through the other side’s spark plug & plug wire, then returning to the other end of the secondary winding...

Ahhh...right....

Look...I don't understand why electricity doesn't just fly out of wall sockets. I mean, does it just sit there and wait behind the wall? And why do you have to plug them up before electricity comes out?

And what's with all this AC and DC voltage? I thought electrons were electrons... What tells some of those electrons to come back but other electrons don't have to?

It's all very confusing to me confused.gif

In any case, I'm glad you can use either plug for the wires. I guess that's a good thing. Would hate to have the engine turning backwards. Not sure how I'd handle one forward gear and five reverse gears... crazy.gif

Archived