IGNORED

'02 RT fog lights seem to be shaking ?

Laura

I've noticed lately that during the day when I'm moving and have my fog lights on they almost seem to modulate but in reality I think they have some movement. I had them on riding in the darkness the other night and my husband, in front, said they were driving him nuts and seem to be shaking all over the place. The headlight doesn't seem to be moving, it's just the fogs that seem weird. I noticed it on the highway signs so I got in back of him for his opinion. Sure enough. They must be driving people in front of me crazy.

What's the scoop? I had both fog bulbs replaced by the dealership about 2 years ago. It didn't seem like they had to remove anything except the bulb. What could be loose or is that the way they all are and I just noticed it riding at night? I don't usually keep them on after dark.

a few weeks back, someone approached me after I parked my bike at a HomeDepot to tell me that my headlight looked as if I was flipping the high beam on and off. I thought this may have been that my headlight level was set to high so I adjusted it donw. Not sure that it fixed the problem. Now reading your post, I will have to do some more digging to see if I have the same problem as you.

I've noticed lately that during the day when I'm moving and have my fog lights on they almost seem to modulate but in reality I think they have some movement. I had them on riding in the darkness the other night and my husband, in front, said they were driving him nuts and seem to be shaking all over the place. The headlight doesn't seem to be moving, it's just the fogs that seem weird. I noticed it on the highway signs so I got in back of him for his opinion. Sure enough. They must be driving people in front of me crazy.

What's the scoop? I had both fog bulbs replaced by the dealership about 2 years ago. It didn't seem like they had to remove anything except the bulb. What could be loose or is that the way they all are and I just noticed it riding at night? I don't usually keep them on after dark.

a few weeks back, someone approached me after I parked my bike at a HomeDepot to tell me that my headlight looked as if I was flipping the high beam on and off. I thought this may have been that my headlight level was set to high so I adjusted it donw. Not sure that it fixed the problem. Now reading your post, I will have to do some more digging to see if I have the same problem as you.

Yes Armando, exactly. Funny, perhaps this is why people move over out of the lefthand lane when I'm behind them. They think I'm flashing them the high beams.

I rode in the car next to my husband on my RT and looked at the fogs. The reflectors around the fog bulbs are like mirrors and give the illusion that the headlight is modulating. I'm really puzzled. Not sure if something is loose or what.

Anybody familiar with the headlight/fog unit on the 2002-2005 RT's?

You both sure that you do not have Kisan headlight modulators installed on those circuits?? The reason I ask is that I bought my '02 used and the first time I turned on my high beam in daytime it freaked me out a bit grin.gif

With all the places you can creatively hide a modulator unit it may have gone unnoticed. Especially you Laura with how often most of us actually use the fog lights.

I will have to check into that myself as my bike was used when I got it. I now remember of another occasion when a pickup I was riding behind of, moved over to let me pass and then proceded to tailgate me while flashing his high beams. this went on for a few miles until we parted directions. I guess he must have been pissed off thinking that I was flasing my high beams at him.

Good thinking but no. I bought the bike new and didn't make any modifications to the lighting at all.

My 03-1150RT fog lights do the same thing. This weekend, while riding with a friend (daytime, he was in front), he asked if I was flashing my high beams.

There is nothing loose in my headlight assembly. It is related to the fog lights.

Ed

I thought the whole headlight/foglight was one molded assembly so I don't see how the fog light housings could "rattle" (unless they've come unattached from the main body somehow). I would suspect the little wire clips that hold the bulbs up into the sockets. The power is attached by a wire with a terminal, but the base provides the ground and is held snug up against the metal housing with a clip that can be awkward to get both sides in tightly into their little hooks (especially with the speakers in place).

I suppose it's conceivable that a bulb just sitting in there loosely and held in mostly by the rubber boot would jiggle and make intermittant ground contact causing it to flash. It's a crazy theory, but it's the first place I would look. I'm sure it's not the first time a dealer's wrench (or the low guy who get's the "easy" jobs like replacing lightbulbs) would cut corners.

Archived