IGNORED

Replacement 'part' for BMW tank bag?... Help!

MattP

Just purchased an 02 R1150RT, and in one of the saddlebags was a BMW tank bag. Appears to be in great shape- has the rain cover, even the instruction manual. HOWEVER, in playing with the bag it became obvious that it is missing the small, fabric/zippered piece that would mount between the back of the tank and the front of the seat, enabling you to unzip the bag and fuel the bike. It's a pretty cool bag (and I'm not a fan of tank bags, even) but I don't know if it's worthless without this mounting piece, or if I could somewhere/somehow get a replacement...? Thought about making something, but I'd rather save that an a last resort. Any ideas?

Look on the parts fiche at A&S or Max BMW's website. Part number 71607651891, "support shackle". You get both the part that attaches to the tank and the mating half that is sewn onto the tank bag; depending on where BMW bought the zipper for your bag's production run, the tank half may or may not mate with the half already on the bag. If not, take the bag and the mating half to your local shoe repair shop and have them sew it on.

That's awesome- thanks so much for the part number! Now if I can just wrap my head around why 10 square inches of fabric and a zipper costs $34... ooo.gif

in playing with the bag it became obvious that it is missing the small, fabric/zippered piece that would mount between the back of the tank and the front of the seat, enabling you to unzip the bag and fuel the bike..

This may sound too simple, but here goes....Take your seat off and see if it my be tucked under between your tank and seat. I keep mine tucked under when not using the bag. It's worth a shot I guess, and you may find some change too!

Haha, sometimes simple is good, but to no avail (and no change, unfortunately!). I am not (yet?) a tank bag fan, so I debated about parting with it via eBay minus the "support shackle" (read, "zipper thingy"). I ended up forking out $31 for it at LoneStar BMW in Austin. I figure I'll see how it works out, and if I'm not big on it I'll probably fetch more as a complete unit than it would missing this part. Pretty neat bag though, so we'll see...

Archived