IGNORED

Uh oh, valve adjuster locknut is missing

MBensonNC

When my 1150RT developed a tick, I pulled the valve cover and, uh oh. What should I do now, and how much should I worry about the missing piece?

---------------------

Michael

02 Silver 1150RT

Drop the oil pan

Good plan, except there is no oil pan on an oilhead. bncry.gif

If you are sure it's not just hiding in the rocker arm area I would start by draining the oil. If it doesn't come out, try a magnet on something flexible. If all else fails, you can always pull a jug, that would give you better access to the insides.

Stan

Stan

Hmmm....boy do I feel stupid. Goes to show my newness to oilheads in general. You still might be able to use a strong magnet along the bottom of the engine to move the nut to the drain hole if it is in the sump. blush.gif

Hmmm....boy do I feel stupid. Goes to show my newness to oilheads in general

Not to worry, we all do it, and on most engines that would have worked.

You still might be able to use a strong magnet along the bottom of the engine to move the nut to the drain hole if it is in the sump

That's not a bad idea. But only a 50/50 chance of working (there is a partition dividing the sump into two areas on the 1150). Two oil pickups too.

Stan

and how much should I worry about the missing piece

Hard to say. Being fairly heavy I would expect it would just lay there, but..... it's all just a guess on my part.

According to the service manual there appears to be screens over the two oil pickups on the 1150 oilhead engine so it doesn't look like it could get sucked into the oil pumps (two of those too). Both oil pickups look to be fairly big so it wouldn't block the oil flow even it were sucked up against the screen. Nothing else seems at risk.

Still, if it was me, I'd like more than just one persons opinion, I might even ask a real mechanic.

By the way, who did the last valve adjust? They might be liable!!!! Of couse if it was yourself..... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Stan

I've seen it happen three times now, and none of them were findable. So far, thousands of miles on three bikes, not mine, with no problem. The "oil pan" area has ridges inside, and apparently the little nut gets in there and stays.

Jim cool.gif

Many thanks to all who replied. I'll fish around with a magnet and see if it turns up. Otherwise, I'll not worry about it too much.

Regarding the guy who did the last valve adjustment, I'll give him a stern talking to the next time I see him in the mirror. crazy.gif

---------------------

Michael

02 Silver 1150RT

Michael, good suggestions above.. If you are lucky it MIGHT come out with an oil change.. At least it won't get sucked into the oil pumps because of the intake screens.. It could dislodge & end up in a timing chain though (long shot there though)..

Try the magnet & fishing expedition & if no luck on the magnet at least install a MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG (about $13.00) as that just might catch that nut if starts to migrate around in the crankcase.. Who knows, one day you could change the oil & find that nut stuck to that oil drain plug magnet..

Twisty

If it was going to tear things up, it already had its chance. Long shot that it will come out with oil change......But worth a chance. There are many places for it to hang up on its way south, and stay put for the life of the engine. Finding it would most likely require a full teardown.......Which is the worst case for if it does damage. So......Change your oil, then try to forget about it. Not easy, I know, but best course, IMHO. Good Luck!

My 99 RT has been running for 6 years with that same nut in the bottem of the engine. And it was a professional mechanic that failed to torque it up. Ride it and forget it; it's not very likely to get "sucked" up off the bottom of the crankcase. Probably "stuck" in the sludge that we all think can't possibly form in a fine German machine.

Bruce wink.gif

Blue Beemer Dude
Regarding the guy who did the last valve adjustment, I'll give him a stern talking to the next time I see him in the mirror.

Ruh roh. I'm just happy that you're not mad at your "helper" that day. dopeslap.gif

Michael

Blue Beemer Dude
Regarding the guy who did the last valve adjustment, I'll give him a stern talking to the next time I see him in the mirror.

Ruh roh. I'm just happy that you're not mad at your "helper" that day. dopeslap.gif

Michael

(replying to my own post, how sad is that?)

Actually, I should have written: "I'm happy that your motorcycle was not damaged." I should not have been so selfish, worrying only about myself and my reputation. frown.gif

I'll bring the torque wrench next time, and we'll tighten down those suckers but good! thumbsup.gif

So, when do we do the brakes? grin.gif

Michael

[i'll bring the torque wrench next time, and we'll tighten down those suckers but good!

First time I adjusted my valves, I tightened the locknuts with a torque wrench. Guess what came loose? Luckily only one, and the nut was lying the in the valve cover when I took it off. Now maybe my torque wrench was out of calibration, but now I just tighten them by hand until they feel tight. Haven't had one come loose since.

Well, I can hardly believe it, but I stuck a magnet thingy down the hole and after a few seconds - CLICK - and out came the nut. smile.gif

And Michael, I welcome your help on the brakes!

---------------------

Michael

02 Silver 1150RT

I adjusted my valves a while back (2 years and 5000 miles ago) and don't remember squat. So how does a valve adjuster locknut get into the motor. Isn't this nut in the area between the cylinder and the valve cover? confused.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
I adjusted my valves a while back (2 years and 5000 miles ago) and don't remember squat. So how does a valve adjuster locknut get into the motor. Isn't this nut in the area between the cylinder and the valve cover? confused.gif

Yep, that's where it starts. Then it rattles loose and bounces around in that area until it slides down the passage where the cam chain resides, and ends up down in the sump.

Well, I can hardly believe it, but I stuck a magnet thingy down the hole and after a few seconds - CLICK - and out came the nut. smile.gif

---------------------

Michael

02 Silver 1150RT

Considering that the cheapest thing on a Beemer is the rider, we know you are happy because you don't have to buy a new one! Good save......Hope you bought some lotto tickets.

Yep, that's where it starts. Then it rattles loose and bounces around in that area until it slides down the passage where the cam chain resides, and ends up down in the sump.

Ah yes! It's all coming back to me now!

---------------------

Michael

02 Silver 1150RT

Considering that the cheapest thing on a Beemer is the rider, we know you are happy because you don't have to buy a new one! Good save......Hope you bought some lotto tickets.

Hey, that's $0.57 you are talking about there! grin.gif

Yes, it is well known that the cheapest part of a BMW is the rider! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Archived