IGNORED

Battery Cable Connection for RT?

OlGeezer

Is there a company who makes a "kit" which will allow me to connect battery cables to my RT with the body panels in place? I can't be the first person looking for this capability.

TIA,

Bill Allen

The last build of the R1150RT had an extension from the +ve battery terminal that extends under the seat. They are available from your dealer and will fit all R11xx series bikes. The -ve lead can connect to a convenient place on the engine - the later bikes have a terminal on the cylinder head.

Perhaps someone can provide the part number - though I think it is item 12 on the battery diagram in the Max BMW parts Fiche

Andy

I cut two short pieces of copper tubing (I think 3/8") I had lying around. I crushed the tubing in a vise, put 90 degree bends in it and drilled holes on each end. Easy fix for your problem with dang near zero investment. Also notice I used a Sharpie to mark my Odyssey with its replacement date and mileage.

bmwbattery.jpg

The last build of the R1150RT had an extension from the +ve battery terminal that extends under the seat. They are available from your dealer and will fit all R11xx series bikes. The -ve lead can connect to a convenient place on the engine - the later bikes have a terminal on the cylinder head.

Perhaps someone can provide the part number - though I think it is item 12 on the battery diagram in the Max BMW parts Fiche

Andy

Perfect! It looks like $20 to me. I found two battery pictures. One (I believe the one you are referring to) has an item 12 with no part number, but has an item 14 which is listed as item 12 on another battery picture (scroll down).

09 61217671334 extension-angle piece for battery - 08/2003 and above BUY 1 $10.50

10 61137671354 terminal screw (M6X10) - 08/2003 and above BUY 1 $9.00

12 07119931050 flat washer (6,4) - 08/2003 and above BUY 1 $0.50

I still have two questions:

1. Any recommendations for a set of battery cables that will pack fairly easily?

2. Does the fire extinguisher (Bracket P/N 46712316782) bolt to the inside or outside of the fairing? That looks like a pretty neat accessory!

thumbsup.gif

Thanks again,

Bill Allen

Is there a company who makes a "kit" which will allow me to connect battery cables to my RT with the body panels in place? I can't be the first person looking for this capability.

TIA,

Bill Allen

Bill,

I wrote this up a couple of years ago with pictures and everything but someone here deleted them all. You can see the same write-up over on the MOA forums:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4384&highlight=jump+start

Mick

Tucson

Archived