IGNORED

Tyre kicking the Moto Guzzi Norge 1200

Steve1962

Today I met up with Andy at a bike dealership near Aylesbury , where he wanted to check out the new Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 , as it has caught his eye [ he has a soft spot for Italian bikes - he has a Guzzi at home already as well as his current bike 1150 RT ] .

The dealer would not allow a test ride unless you pay £25.00 ...refundable IF YOU BUY A BIKE eek.gifeek.gif

Here are some photos , including a few I took on the way there as well as at the dealers .........

http://steve1962.smugmug.com/gallery/2118477

Andy liked the bike , the ergos seem to fit just fine - he can flat foot , and the bike is nice and light , as well as being quite a looker .

The throaty burble from the exhaust upon start up is nice too ........

Methinks Andy may look seriously at this as an alternative to the 1150 RT he currently has , perhaps next year - as long as the wife approves [ and not just from a fiscal point of view ] .

A test ride [ 24 hours to play with the bike ] is possible from a dealer closer to where he lives , and if he goes ahead with it I may go along for the ride [ to give a neutral objective view of course !! ] .

Nice to see you again today Andy ,

Steve

Steve,

In the following photo, are these boats permanently docked in this canal?

109525315-M.jpg

Oh, and Andy, you'll have to get the bike painted to match your vest! I like the aesthetic looks of the bike, but I can't speak to what it might be like to ride as I've never ridden a Guzzi before, I'm not even sure there is a dealer around here (but there may be, in which case I may, too, have to sneak a peak).

Regards,

Mike O

Not sure about the boats having a permanent mooring in this spot , although they all display a license/ registration plate of some description - having ridden this way on several occasions before , I can only say I've seen boats here before .

Steve

The Norge is a fine lloking bike. The fixtures and fittings looked good. The bike we were looking at was the demo bike and was in need of a clean but that was no issue.

The ergos were good and it fitted me just dandy. What is of concern though, looking at Steves picture of me on the bike, is passenger accomodations. Will there be enough room for SWIMBO, especially when a topbox is installed? I have only been able to find the base model so far, without the luggage fitted. I have added a few more 'detail' pictures.

Shot of me on the bike, courtesy of Steve:

109525353-M.jpg

My shots:

Norge001.jpg

Skinny, isn't it:

Norge002.jpg

Only the Italians could have designed this:

Norge003.jpg

Retro clocks, with a cleverly integrated digital display for the trip computer:

Norge004.jpg

ABS as standard - but no servos thumbsup.gif

Norge005.jpg

Stylish lighting:

Norge006.jpg

Norge007.jpg

Someone kindly parked their R1100RT nearby - Compare the size, especially the width.

Norge008.jpg

The tech specs are fairly similar to the R1150RT:

Power Norge: 95HP, RT: 95HP

Torque Norge: 100NM RT: 100NM

Seat Height Norge: 800mm RT: 780 (Low Seat, Low)

Dry Weight Norge: 246kg RT: 259KG.

The odd thing is with a higher seat the Norge felt lower and I could flat-foot it which I can't on the RT. The lack of width tells here.

The engine is twin-spark with 'long-life' plugs on the inside.

The exhaust is stainless steel with a cat and 'height adjustable muffler'.

The engine:

studio_27.jpg

More info here:

I really like the lines of the bike. After looking at their website, at least for the U.S., it doesn't appear that the Norge is offered over here. Turns out there is a dealer in downtown Denver. Next time I'm there, I'll have to inquire about the bike.

Interesting that being so much thinner than an RT that it's only 13Kg (28lbs) lighter in weight.

Mike O

I have been waiting for this bike, but gave up and bought a new BMW. My main question is: Would it fit me? My SP III had to have the saddle resculpted to accommodate my 6'3" frame with 34 inseam. Not so sure this configuration would lend itself to that.

I don't know what the measurements are on this, but knew what I could modify with the K 1200 GT, so I jumped.

Still have the SP III, but plan on selling it in the spring. I have put 750 miles on the GT since Halloween (remarkable at this date in upstate NY), and I love it. But still wonder about the Norge.

I have been waiting for this bike, but gave up and bought a new BMW. My main question is: Would it fit me? My SP III had to have the saddle resculpted to accommodate my 6'3" frame with 34 inseam. Not so sure this configuration would lend itself to that.

I don't know what the measurements are on this, but knew what I could modify with the K 1200 GT, so I jumped.

Still have the SP III, but plan on selling it in the spring. I have put 750 miles on the GT since Halloween (remarkable at this date in upstate NY), and I love it. But still wonder about the Norge.

I have a feeling you would be a bit cramped on this bike, I have a 29 inch inseam on a tall day and it fits me fine.

Andy

Our local Guzzi dealer doesn't speak highly of the brand, especially the lack of replacement parts........not a good thing.

Too bad these old brands have become niche, botique brands and are having their wonderful reputations sucked out of them by virtual vampires, but so is the way of the world I guess.

Usual exclusions, IMHO, etc. etc. apply.

Francois_Dumas

Interesting, great pics !! Looks skinny indeed..... and PAY for a test ride!??? tsk tsk tsk ..... <shaking head>

Our local Guzzi dealer doesn't speak highly of the brand, ........not a good thing.

Too bad these old brands have become niche, botique brands and are having their wonderful reputations sucked out of them by virtual vampires, but so is the way of the world I guess.

Usual exclusions, IMHO, etc. etc. apply.

especially the lack of replacement parts

Very very nice.. thumbsup.gif

When I had mine,the lack of Dealers/network was the only setback.

Still,all in all,a very good product.

Gonna have to try one!

grizzly660fan

I have a friend who lives near London that until recently owned one of these canal boats. The mooring is merely a parking place for the boat while not in use. There is a pretty extensive canal system with manual and automatic lock system for changes in elevation that routes all around and even connects to the River Thames.

They must get special license to operate the boats, and the boats themselves are licensed as most vehicles. they range in size from approx 20 feet long to 60+ feet long. most are operated by a small 2 - 5 hp diesel engine.

They get very ornate with full living quarters (head, births, galley, etc).

I have a few pictures I could email you if interested of some in operation going through one of the locks from a visit to the UK I did a few years back.

now back to motorcycle talk...

Garry

Archived