IGNORED

Why no reverse?

JayW

I would engage this gear at the end of every ride because my short legs are otherwise unable to push the bike up the gentle slope into my garage. It can't be a safety thing, because the BMW LT has reverse. It could be money, but my $4000 ATV has one. I can get off and push it manually, but that always seems a bit awkward, and I'm afraid I am going to drop the thing away from me.

Am I the only one who would check off a reverse gear on the options list if it were available?

Jay

I would engage this gear at the end of every ride because my short legs are otherwise unable to push the bike up the gentle slope into my garage. It can't be a safety thing, because the BMW LT has reverse. It could be money, but my $4000 ATV has one. I can get off and push it manually, but that always seems a bit awkward, and I'm afraid I am going to drop the thing away from me.

Am I the only one who would check off a reverse gear on the options list if it were available?

Why? Space. You will note that the LT gets its reverse gear by sacrificing one of the forward ones. The LT has 5 forward speeds, and its previous generation bretheren (the K1200RS/GT) had 6.

Why? Space?

Yes, but it can also be an issue if I pull too far into a downsloping parking space. This is avoided though by just backing into the spot if I remember this fact.

Jay

unable to push the bike up the gentle slope into my garage

So why not drive up the gentle slope and let the bike coast backwards down the slope when leaving the garage?

Works for me.

Stan

Because it doesn't weigh enough to warrant a reverse gear. I'm not judging here, but if you can't roll your bike up a slope (and I'm not talking Mt. Everest here) then get a 125 lmao.gif

if you can't roll your bike up a slope (and I'm not talking Mt. Everest here) then get a 125 lmao.gif

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark. lmao.gif Why didn't you ask if he wears spandex under his gear too? grin.gif

All kidding aside if the slope is steep enough I would just fo in forward and walk the bike around once in the garage. If it were not for the linked brakes it would be easy to power turn the thing on the smooth cement.

if you can't roll your bike up a slope (and I'm not talking Mt. Everest here) then get a 125 lmao.gif

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark. lmao.gif Why didn't you ask if he wears spandex under his gear too? grin.gif

I'll never tell! crazy.gif

The problem is not that I am not strong enough, it is more an issue of not being able to push down hard enough to get adequate traction because my feet just don't reach well enough. The real stopping point is the "ledge" at the end of the garage that I suppose is there to help keep water from flowing in. I can back it up ok on flat ground.

At present I usually just ride straight in and back the bike out next time, but things don't fit quite as well if both cars are already parked, and this arrangement also puts my side cases in a more vulnerable spot right between the car doors.

Jay

There are load of folks who have a steep drives leading down to their garages, and who buy turntable mats to get out of the impossible of backing the bike out again.

No reverse gear on my RT thanks - but I'd feel more secure with it on an LT.

Some possible reasons there is no reverse on your bike:

1) weight increase.

2) very little customer demand for reverse.

3) since it's not really reverse, but uses the starter motor to power the bike in reverse, there would be a substantial new demand on the electrical system.

4) according to a BMW rep, the reverse on the LT is licensed from Honda (a copy of the Goldwing's reverse.) Adding it to other models would increase the payout to Honda and increase the price of the bike.

The problem is not that I am not strong enough, it is more an issue of not being able to push down hard enough to get adequate traction because my feet just don't reach well enough. The real stopping point is the "ledge" at the end of the garage that I suppose is there to help keep water from flowing in. I can back it up ok on flat ground.

At present I usually just ride straight in and back the bike out next time, but things don't fit quite as well if both cars are already parked, and this arrangement also puts my side cases in a more vulnerable spot right between the car doors.

Jay

I loved reverse on my GoldWing, but hated the 300lbs. extra weight which made it necessary, thus the move to the R1200RT. There's a reason that only behemoths like the GW & LT need reverse.

I've found that with the optional low seat, backing into the garage isn't a problem with my 30" inseam. However, I normally ride without the panniers, or at least remove them when garaging the bike as the 38" width across the bags is a bit much.

Tom

OK, OK, so it sounds like I am the only one who thinks this would be useful on the RT. Granted it would add some weight, cost, and may eliminate a forward gear. These things likely explain why it is not offered.

It's a little thing really, and its absence does not significantly detract from the great pleasure and satisfaction this bike brings to my life. I'll just have to be flexible and adjust my parking habits accordingly. cool.gif

Jay

If the ground is more or less level, why not dismount and push the bike from the left side using handle bar and passenger handle as grip points? That's how I moved my GS around and it's not that much lighter weight.

I'll just have to be flexible and adjust my parking habits accordingly. Jay

After 15 years with reverse, that's what I'm doing again. Many years ago, I parked a 1200 Wing (ca. 750 lbs) on a slight downgrade and had to endure onlooker's barely muffled smirks as my 5'0" wife assisted me in pushing the bike out! Hopefully, that cured me of inappropriate parking. At any rate, keep enjoying your RT.

Tom

Archived