IGNORED

Clutch removal/installation tools - San Diego area

SWB

Anyone willing to load me the tools to remove the clutch (part# 11-5-640, locks the clutch housing to the flywheel, I believe) or install it (centering tool, part #21-3-680)? I'll pick it up and return it if local, or pay round trip UPS shipping costs of not.

I don't recall seeing the part 11-5-640 requirement previously (in Ted's spline lube video, or in my manuals). Is there another (safe) way to hold the fly wheel while using an impact wrench to remove the housing?

Thanks.

No need for an impact wrench, or indeed to lock the clutch. The cover bolts are east to remove and refit/torque using nothing more than engine compression to hold things.

The tools needed for a clutch swap are the guide pins for the tranny - I made mine from M8x1.25 bolts 110mm long (not screws - you need the smooth shank) I cut the heads off and slotted the ends with my Dremel.

It is easier if you use a clutch alignment tool, though people have done this by eye. If you search for +clutch +tool there are drawings for the tool on this DB.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

No need for an impact wrench, or indeed to lock the clutch. The cover bolts are east to remove and refit/torque using nothing more than engine compression to hold things.

The tools needed for a clutch swap are the guide pins for the tranny - I made mine from M8x1.25 bolts 110mm long (not screws - you need the smooth shank) I cut the heads off and slotted the ends with my Dremel.

It is easier if you use a clutch alignment tool, though people have done this by eye. If you search for +clutch +tool there are drawings for the tool on this DB.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Andy. I made the guide pins per your exacting specifications, though I was too lazy to pull out my mostly unused dremel. (Actually, my son ran to get it, but I was done with three pins before he could get it set up; cut 'em, filed em, beveled them, and cut the groove for the screw driver.) cool.gif

Tranny's off and in the shop; I got an estimate of $230US to break the case and reassemble; parts estimate comes tomorrow. (Do I cross my fingers that I misdiagnosed, everything is hunky-dorie and no parts are needed, or hope for a "basket case tranny" to justify pulling it apart??. confused.gif )

The after market manual was "real specific" about how soft those bolts are (guess they've had the bad experience rounding off the bolt heads); i.e. use only 6 point sockets, use valve grinding power to ensure a good grip, use impact wrench, and set the special BMW tool to ensure no rotation.

I'll try it with fewer "precautions". grin.gif

G'day, mate!

You do need to replace the bolts as they are stretch to fit. I compared the length of my old bolts to the new ones and there was a measurable difference - but that may have been a batch issue.

Andy

You can lock the flywheel at TDC by putting an allen wrench (6mm?) through the hole in the flywheel near where the starter would be. The allen will go through the flywheel and into a locating hole in the case.

The hole is at about "ten o'clock" when looking at the flywheel from behind. Don't forget to set the engine to Top Dead Center before looking for the hole in that position.

FYI, this method works with everything in place exept the starter if you ever have a need to lock the engine at TDC.

You're more than welcome to use my stuff once I solve my own little problem.

see here

If you can wait you're welcome to it!

Cameron

Thanks. I may contact you when I'm ready, but based on the word I received about my transmission, it may be a while (or never) before I'm ready to reassemble.

ok friend...well I actually and uncharacteristically went and bought new parts yesterday so my troubbles arer over...except for putting it back together dopeslap.giflmao.gif

As having been one stuck in a bad spot though the offer stands!

You know where to find mbe...just loook for the trail of burned up clutch parts...oh wait this isn't a Harley lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gifwave.gifwave.gifthumbsup.gif

No call anytime bro..always willling to help/!!!

Cameron

Archived