IGNORED

ABS pain

seamac

ABS control unit failed on my 2002 R1150RT after only 29'000km. I was horrified when I was told by BMW agent that replacement unit will set me back around $3000!!

Has anyone else experienced problems with ABS? bncry.gifbncry.gif

I've had to replace a wheel sensor.

I think if my ABS unit ever failed I would remove it and plumb the brakes directly.

A second hand one is an obvious temptation but there's no easy way to test it before you fit it.

Rich06FJR1300

yes, had that happen to me at 43,000 miles. Got one 2nd hand off of a dealer in canada for a deal...was very lucky. Here in the states they run 1,500 bucks (plus about 500 for install) so we're looking at 2k here. Looked at plumming the brakes directly but getting the bike ready for sale at this point.

While some people will report here and elsewhere of failures, keep in mind that you are looking at a distorted view. Nobody reports on the Internet the 10s of 1000s of BMW ABS bikes that never have a failure. As a percentage of issues discussed, ABS controller unit failures are rare. Not a lot of comfort when it happens to be your bike that is one of the few though, I know.

I agree with Ken about brake failures being rare. On this site there are those that love the ABS and those that disdain it. I, for one, bought my RT because of the ABS. And personally, I will never own another motorcycle without it.

However, that doesn't ease your pain right now. I'm sorry to hear about your expensive repair. Perhaps since the bike is low mileage, your BMW agent can talk BMW into helping with the cost of parts, or labor?? It's certainly worth a shot.

My 1150RT (2002) has about54K miles; had an ABS unit fail at about 25K miles (replaced on warranty). THAT one just failed (at 54K miles total). BUMMER. I'm looking at nearly $2K to replace this unit. Think that this bike is going up for sale when fixed; I've got a 1200GS, which has not been trouble-free, but nothing like this....

One question for those with ABS failures, and please note that I am NOT casting aspertions here, but have you been changing the brake fluid with the recommended frequency and type of brake fluid? I only ask because my van ABS controller took a dive at only 40,000 miles and the cost to repair it was over $3000. $1500 for the master cylinder alone! The dealer said it was most likely caused by dirt, or some debris, in the fluid. My wife used to take it to WallyWorld to have the oil changed and they surmised that while they were doing their 250 point safety inspection they may have added brake fluid from a dirty container causing my failure.

Again, I'm not accusing anyone of shoddy maintenance, just wondering if the brake fluid was changed yearly, as recommended.

As stated ealier, car ABS controllers fail due to contamination. The 'contamination' can be copper flaking inside the brake tubing, or just simple carbon from the tube brazing process. When one replaces the brake pads, one usually pushes the caliper pistons back to make enough room for new pads. What should be done on cars with ABS is to open the flush nipple at the caliper so when the piston is pushed back, the excess fluid is drained out, not pushed back towards the brake fluid reservoir (sp?)

Yup, '02 RT with ABS failure at 28000 miles. BMW picked up half of the cost with bike already out of warranty, so it only cost me $1000. I had done all annual brake flush's and bi-annual brake work.

Archived