IGNORED

Neutral Indicator Light

Geoff_J

I own a 1996 R1100R with about 27K miles. Lately, the green neutral light fails to turn on when I shift into neutral. It takes a few seconds and a few revs of the throttle before it turns on. Also, in some cases, when the engine is cold and the neutral light is not on--even though the bike is in neutral--the starter will not operate unless I pull on the clutch lever. Any advice? How difficult is it to clean or replace the neutral switch?

russell_bynum

That's a pretty common failure item. Replacement requires (if memory serves) removal of the swingarm to gain access to the back of the transmission where the switch is.

This is very common on the 1100 series. The neutral switch is not a sealed design and it gets contaminated. The neutral switch is on the rear of the transmission and requires removal of the swing arm to replace.

Most just live with it until there is sufficient reason to remove the swingarm for other reasons.

[edit]

OK Russell, so you type faster than I do... grin.gif

[/edit]

I own a 1996 R1100R with about 27K miles. Lately, the green neutral light fails to turn on when I shift into neutral. It takes a few seconds and a few revs of the throttle before it turns on. Also, in some cases, when the engine is cold and the neutral light is not on--even though the bike is in neutral--the starter will not operate unless I pull on the clutch lever. Any advice? How difficult is it to clean or replace the neutral switch?

Speak of the devil, here's the little bugger now:

Transmission (rear) view: You need to pull the swing arm (along with the connected final drive) to get into the bike this far. Just look up "Spline Lub" or look up member "Ted" and ask for his video. It'll tell you everything you need to know to do both your spline lub, and R&R the idle switch.

R1100_RearTransIdleSwitch1.JPG

Close up of the idle switch. The part's catalog indicates that there is also a gear indicator switch wrapped up with the idle switch. Common sense tells me to replace both, but the gear indicator is much more expensive than the idle switch (go figure).

Switch is in the lower left quarter of the pix:

R1100_RearTransIdleSwitch.JPG

Archived