IGNORED

Brake Failure Light

mgfisher51

I have a 03 1150rt with about 29k miles on it. I was on my way to a neighboring town this morning for a doctor's appointment when the brake failure warning light started flashing. I pulled over (the brakes worked fine) and stopped and restarted the bike. The light went away for a few seconds then came back on. I continued my trip, about 30 miles each way, stopped and started several times and the light continued to flash all the way back home. Again, the brakes are operating fine. What gives??? Do I need to take it to the dealer, or is this something I can do some troubleshooting on before biting that bullet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marlin

I have a 03 1150rt with about 29k miles on it. I was on my way to a neighboring town this morning for a doctor's appointment when the brake failure warning light started flashing. I pulled over (the brakes worked fine) and stopped and restarted the bike. The light went away for a few seconds then came back on. I continued my trip, about 30 miles each way, stopped and started several times and the light continued to flash all the way back home. Again, the brakes are operating fine. What gives??? Do I need to take it to the dealer, or is this something I can do some troubleshooting on before biting that bullet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marlin

We need a little more information here as there are two lights associated with the brake system and they flash at different rates and sequences depending on the indicated fault condition. So, which lights wre flashing, and was it once a second or 4 times a second?

Andy

Don't panic.

My light ('02 RT) starting acting weird and the problem was a taillight bulb. It was replaced and the brake light went back to normal function.

More info... The brake failure light is flashing alternately with the general warning light. According to the owners manual that indicates low fluid level. I walked by the bike in the garage after it had been parked a couple of hours and noticed a small leak under the right side between the center stand and rear wheel. I'm pretty sure it is brake fluid. It seemed to be coming from one of the rubber drain hoses. Upon checking the rear master cylinder last last night it appears to be empty or almost empty. I won't know for sure until I get the plastic off later today. I just changed the rear tire last week. In order to get the wheel off I removed the rear brake caliper, as per rear wheel removal instructions. I removed the tire/brake caliper the evening before so I could take the wheel to have the new tire installed early the next morning. I tied the caliper up to the frame to keep it from just dangling. Could I have done something in the process that would have caused this? Is is possible to add fluid to the master cylinder so I can ride it to the dealership (about 40 miles) in order to have them check it out? I would really prefer not to haul it (previous bad experience).

Thanks for your input.

Marlin

Brake fluid coming from a hose is coming from the ABS unit vent.

When you r&r the caliper, did you push the pistons back in some in the process? If so this could account for the overflow out the hose. Which in itself will rairly cause a fault to set. But to check and replenish the level there, you'll have to pull the tank to get to the ABS unit.

Adding fluid to just the rear control reservoir (the one on the right rear frame) won't correct it as that fluid reserve is different than the fluid reserve going from the ABS unit to the rear caliper.

Upon checking the rear master cylinder last last night it appears to be empty or almost empty.
If it has gone so low that the fault light lit from this, the rear control circuit likely is going to need to be bled. If you're not comfortable (or know somebody who is) with doing the whole bleed procedure, than I'd say it's off to the dealer you go! Plus, the question, where did the control circuit fluid go, sure needs to be answered.

Archived