IGNORED

Zumo 550

Little_Brit

I've been considering the purchase of a sat nav system for ages and I'm about ready to jump in.

My question is simple. Why wouldn't I buy the new Garmin Zumo 550? It seams to fit my requirementss precisely, namely it operates properly on a motorcycle and in a car. Is there a catch?

Derek Brown

R850r

Yamaha Tmax

No catch that I'm aware of but without knowing what your requirements are for a GPS, its tough to tell.

Garmin makes some great units and I would highly recommend them. (I have a 2610 I've been using for years).

And the Zumo looks like a heck of a nice unit.

Jim

Jim,

I shall be travelling around Europe next summer so the first objective is to be able to set up a planned route for the week that we are away. Once I've made the jump I know that I will use any sat nav system to help seek out interesting places around the UK. The car side of things is really for my wife to help her get anywhere! Her navigation skills are, shall we say, poor. I don't think she'll hit me too hard...

I really like the idea of being able to plan a journey of several days sitting in front of the PC and then just transferring the data to my navigation device. Finding local points of interest once at a destination appeals too. Using mobile telephones on the move is of no interest at all.

Derek

I couldn't agree more... the right unit really depends on your requirements. The Zumo 550 has MP3, bluetooth, XM, WAAS enabled, great graphics, touch screen, onboard battery, and great software....

But if you are looking for stereo MP3 music through bluetooth (using A2DP protocol), it's not gonna happen. It only supports mono. And if you are looking for XM through bluetooth, that won't happen at all. XM is not broadcast through bluetooth.

So... bluetooth is still "breaking new ground". But if bluetooth doesn't play heavily in your requirements, then this unit sounds excellent. Besides, how many bluetooth stereo helmets/headsets are there?

I've been considering the purchase of a sat nav system for ages and I'm about ready to jump in.

Derek, if you are looking for a Zumo, check out these people.

http://www.motorradconcepts.com/index.htm

The main man is Chris Holland, give him a ring, they are doing great a deal on the Zumo.

Tell him Frisky gave you the nod.

Cheers Dave

The GPS page of the website is being updated at the moment.!

My question is simple. Why wouldn't I buy the new Garmin Zumo 550? It seams to fit my requirementss precisely, namely it operates properly on a motorcycle and in a car. Is there a catch?

Derek Brown

R850r

Yamaha Tmax

Archived