IGNORED

Left Can Chain tensioner and engine vibration

sonofdennis

I'm a sport bike to Harley to 031150RT convert. This is my first BMW M/C, I've had the BMW cars. Everything about my BMW cars was smooth and quiet. The RT vibrates and bangs around inside like my Harley but handles like my sport bikes. Is this what RT is?

I noticed my left cam chain had significant droop so am replacing tensioner tonight. Bike knocks for about half a second at start up till Oil Pressure builds then goes away. Is this also normal at 34k miles? Had full service done couple weeks ago at BMW the tech said it was in good condition. Does this all sound right?

Thanks

Alan

The LH cam chain tensioner is a known issue - make sure you use the latest version (the one fitted to the R1200 engines) or the problem will recur. A good anal throttle body sync reduces vibration considerably.

Andy

Thank you. I already screwed up. I ordered the stock replacement because my dealer had no idea of a upgrade. Thank you for letting me know it's the 1200 tensioner I should be after.

Alan

Thank you. I already screwed up. I ordered the stock replacement because my dealer had no idea of a upgrade. Thank you for letting me know it's the 1200 tensioner I should be after.

Alan

Alan, here is what you will need..

New R1200 parts? also fit the R1100 R1150 application?

1ea)--13541341797 Throtle body "O" ring (optional)

1ea)--07119963308 seal ring

1ea)--11317656922 piston

1ea)--11317688629 cylinder

Call Mark at Chacago BMW (20% off list price) 1-800-262-9150

Twisty

The noise is pretty normal at startup, the updated tensioner really helps if you have a noise at idle with a hot engine. I personally wouldn't bother changing it if I only had the startup noise but you won't hurt anything by changing it either.

Thank you Twisty for the part numbers of the 1200 tensioner. I was able to find them at a local dealer and going to pick them up now.

Alan

Just got back from "local Dealer" .... I missed the dualistic nature of that term. However upon my return from buying the tensioner parts from the local BMW dealership the term "local dealer" fits! I walked out happy to have the parts but guilty to have spent the money :-) If the "HD" in (Harley Davidson) stands for " Hundred Dollars" then BMW is "Bring Money With"

Archived