IGNORED

Talk about your great recoveries....

OldBoldPilot

It's a shame that video doesn't show what happened next. It was a classic double take when the other rider saw him still on the bike, on the track, racing. thumbsup.gif

Racing recovery, vintage style: 1953, Just back to Venezuela from a major race in Peru (another story). After delayed transport of the bikes they were all deposited at one dealer, to be picked by the individual owners. As a courtesy the receiving dealer had all the bikes washed. At that time washing (lots of oil leaks) was done by pressure spray pistol and kerosene. When I got my bike the brakes were almost useless and the next race was next day.

Well, I am racing and squeezeing the brakes all I can to get some stopping. Suddenly the kerosene must have dried out and the front brake locked. Bike and I sliding down the road. I didn't stop sliding yet and I stood up, got to the bike and bump started it and was gone. When it happened, I was running second. The guy behind me (about 150 feet) saw it happening, slowed a bit, and did not have time to pass me. I still finished second. After the finish we noticed a big cut through the top of my boot, probably done by the sharp ended clutch lever. My big toe needed a few stitches. Adrenalin is a big thing thumbsup.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

That awesome video has been in my collection for years now. The guy had to be carrying a lot of speed for the bike to stay upright through all of that.

The site labels the video as "tankslapper," which I don't get. That's not a tankslapper, it's a highside, albeit an extremely rare one in which the rider managed to recover.

russell_bynum
So THAT'S what Bounce was trying to do! eek.gif Came close, right up until that falling on the ground part. frown.gif

Pretty much. I couldn't get myself or the bike in a position where I could get back on, but that's more or less what I briefly tried to do before I bailed.

Ok, the (most respectfully) dude is off the right side knees draging on the ground and he has the ability to control the bars to whup himself back in the saddle like Johnny D. Wayne?!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

THINK ABOUT IT! His reach to the right grip is half the reach to the left and he controls the steering inputs and STILL manages to hoist his dragging ass back on?!!!

No freaking way.

That's gotta be doctored (even though Mitch says he's had it for years). I'm a really gullable guy (I usually buy into a card game by throwing a couple Andrews on the table and ask how long I can play for that) but that clip's either a fake or that rider had a direct line to the BIG GUY. blush.gif

grin.gif

russell_bynum

THINK ABOUT IT! His reach to the right grip is half the reach to the left and he controls the steering inputs and STILL manages to hoist his dragging ass back on?!!!

No freaking way.

I did manage a similar save on the SeaDoo one time. A wave threw me up off the seat and I came down off-center and basically fell off into the water. I kept the throttle wide open and managed to pull myself back onto the thing...very similar to what the guy in the video did.

managed to pull myself back onto the thing...very similar to what the guy in the video did.

Minus the video witness. Bum luck, huh? Mighta opened the door for a whole new nickname.

... Mighta opened the door for a whole new nickname.

I dunno, but 'Flipper' might just cover (most of) the assorted (disclosed) incidents...

G

So "bounce" doesn't just apply to land based incidents, eh?

If "three strikes yer out" applies, I'd stay away from the "jump outta the plane option" goin' on in Other Topics. blush.gifwink.gif

Sounds like you gotta line open to the big guy too. Yeah that.

clap.gif

wave.gif

russell_bynum
So "bounce" doesn't just apply to land based incidents, eh?

If "three strikes yer out" applies, I'd stay away from the "jump outta the plane option" goin' on in Other Topics. blush.gifwink.gif

Sounds like you gotta line open to the big guy too. Yeah that.

clap.gif

wave.gif

If we're counting SeaDoo getoffs, we're going to go way into the tripple digits. smile.gif

But that's like falling off at the track or on a dirtbike...it doesn't count. smile.gif

My best recovery was involved the tail end of relationship. She had locked herself outta her apartment and needed to have a locksmith come in to drill out the locks. Early Winter. 3AM. NYC. Not fun.

It was VERY late. She was VERY grumpy. It was VERY expensive.

I opted to hang around (for her safety) as opposed to leaving her to fend for herself at 3AM in a Manhattan stairwell with an on-call locksmith.

When it was all done at 4AM.

Finally, she is back in her apartment. She was mad enough about the situation that she didn't offer to let me stay. Or use the bathroom. Or even come in. I was sent on my way (thinking to mself why do I even bother). The locksmith guy even said to me outside, "That's some BS, huh?"

Now comes the 30 degree, 30 mile ride home. Halfway into it, it starts to snow. I have lost enough heat that it was effecting my motor function and coordination. Getting off my exit, I was numb enough that I rode of the road and was now doing my best rodeo-impersonation as the bike road across the frozen solid dirt/grass shoulder.

I did full-on ABS and somehow managed to keep it pointing pretty straight (the shoulder surface was highly irregular). I remember the handlebars getting knocked left to right all crazy-like and thinking I would be thrown from the seat.

At 10 MPH, I pulled back onto the road and was home in about 2 minutes.

I left her know how I felt about how I was treated, the next day. I mentioned what happened on the bike. I think she didn't believe me. We called it off within the week. clap.gif

-Eff

Archived