IGNORED

ESA Rebuild

John Bentall

I talked to the chaps at White Power while at was at the UK Motorcycle show.

They want the bike/shocks for a couple of days and will rebuild as good as new. Cost around 300 UK pounds / $500 including stripping the shocks from the bike. White Power said that any BMW dealer could be trained to do this work.

So of course I went to the BMW stand and they are not service items - therefore replace only.

You take your choice then.

yours are worn out already? at what mileage?

Hey, Mr. Moylan, you are reading waaaay too much into my comments. The shocks are not worn yet.

White Power's recommended service intervals depend very much on how hard the shocks are worked. For instance on your rubbish Irish surfaces........

The representative was suggesting that after 3 years of moderate-hard usage, it might be time for a service.

I have no intention of changing to Ohlins and will have my WP ESA shocks rebuilt when the time comes. As part of the rebuild they will set them up for my weight etc. etc.

I don't have magazine handy, but in the latest BMW ON(Owners News), I could have sworn I saw an add for Olins shocks with a tethered electronic remote for changing dampening/preload.

Maybe a straight Olins replacement for stock ESA isn't too far off?

John, that's good news that the WP ESA shocks are rebuildable, but of course since BMW dealers won't be doing it, owners here in the US will have issues removing the shocks and sending them (somewhere) for the rebuild...the problem is determining the "somewhere"... eek.gif Fortunately that won't be for a while yet.

I don't have magazine handy, but in the latest BMW ON(Owners News), I could have sworn I saw an add for Olins shocks with a tethered electronic remote for changing dampening/preload.

I've seen that ad before, and atleast in the past, the shocks were only offered for the K1200RS/GT from Ohlins

I've seen that ad before, and atleast in the past, the shocks were only offered for the K1200RS/GT from Ohlins

Also, the electronic adjustment is only for damping.

Also, the electronic adjustment is only for damping.

What folks might have seen is a complete after-market ESA system (including damping and pre-load adjustment) for fitting to the R1200GS offered by White Power.

But we all know that real men fit Ohlins...... smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived