IGNORED

How to best option-out an 07 RT? (First Post)

LuckyLeif

Hey all y'all javascript:void(0)

wave.gif

I'm seriously contemplating the move from an R12GS (early production run just sold a few weeks ago) to an R12RT. Have spent about 6 hours on an RT demo and have grown to appreciate it considerably. Am having a little difficulty with options, in particular -- should I go ESA or not. I'm leaning towards non-ESA because I ride solo 98% of the time and have luggage only 10% of my riding. I live on the edge of the Blue Ridge mountains so I do mostly twisties, with the ocassional runs on the interstate.

1) If I go non-ESA, would you suggest installing Wilbers or Ohlins from the start, or waiting a few years for the stock shocks to fade?

2) How "bad" are the stock non-ESA shocks? (I had the stock shocks on the 12GS (White Bros?) and found them to be fine.)

3) Are Ohlins worth the price diff from Wilbers?

4) Is shock replacement a tech day type of job, or is it a shop job? (I've replaced rear shocks on a K-75 and other conventional rear suspensions).

5) I think I'll skip the anti-slip control due to it's novelty on bikes. Never had much problems on the GS -- now if I were looking at a K12, I might reconsider.

6) I'll likely go with heated grips/seat, OBC, and large top case unless convinced otherwise.

7) Am I missing anything? (Other than seat and/or screen replacements.) Thanks.

welcome.

just a few words on the things i know from your list.

esa will have to be replaced one day - $$$$$$$$$$$$$

i would ride for a while on stock shocks and see how it goes for you personally, then upgrade if you feel you need to. personally, i did (works, love it).

shock replacement is no big thing for a halfway competent home wrench.

in regard to the seat - unless you really feel good on the stock seat, don't spend the extra $ on heated, get a heated aftermarket. many people don't like the stock seat after a few hours.

have fun.

tom collins

I have grown to appreciate the easy use of ESA. I would not spend the money on the heated seat. I have it and it does work great but I am replacing the seat now and it would have been easier and cheaper not to have the seat in the first place. Is cruise still standard?

I'm close to a new 0 RT, too.

Regarding the replacement of the original seat, can you replace a non heated seat with an aftermarket heated seat, and if so, how do you connect the controls into the CANBUS system?

Mike

I have the factory heated seat and love it. I have talked to both Rick Mayer and Russell about a custom seat. Both say they can retain the factory heated seat element for no additional charge. I like the integrated controls and display function of the factory heated seats. Can-bus also regulates the seat temperature. I say if you think heated seats might be useful, order the option. thumbsup.gif

Options I like and use - and I come from a '99R11S' that only had heated grips and a power outlet.

ESA

Heated seats

Cruise

BC (board computer)thingy - the oil level sensor works now

extra power socket (mine all work great)

White turn signal lenses

Forget the Chrome exhaust

I have ESA and like it, but you seem to know what you want in that regard. As for other options I'd recommend the onboard computer, heated seats, and cruise control (in Canada cruise is an option, but don't know about the US). I think the heated seats are great, as is the cruise on a long trip. I'm also partial to clear turn signal lenses, and have those too, but that's a real personal preference. I also added two additional accessory sockets, for a total of three - two up front (L/R), and one in the rear. How about cyclinder head protectors, and side case protectors?

Since you'll probably be replacing the seat, you need to decide if you'll be using the pan (Mayer or Russell) or ordering a complete seat (Sargent or Corbin). If the former, get the OEM heated seat. And if your inseam is less than 31", I would consider the lower seat - a no charge option. I ordered the large topcase mainly because of the backrest for two up riding, but I also find it very handy for most of my solo riding so the saddlebags are usually left at home. Personally, I enjoy the radio and OBC, and feel that heated grips and cruise control are necessities. And then there are the after market accessories....

My 07 has ESA,CC,Heated seats & grips, computer and oil monitor (that works).

I have added an Aeroflow windshield system and small top box.

I had an 05 RT with the standard seat which was very uncomfortable after as little as an hour.This I replaced with a Bob Mayer. However the heated seat on the 07 seems to be much firmer and therefore more comfortable. 2.5 hour ride is the longest so far however.

I'm not claiming that BMW did anything different but it seems so to me. I am 260# so I need a firm seat and so far this 07 is working for me.

I have a BMR dash mount in the garage as well as an AutoCom system and fuse block for none CBus outlets.

Ohh. And a real horn is nice too.

Try and get your new bike with Conti Road Attack tires, I love mine.. clap.gif

Get the heated grips/seat. If you hate the stock heated seat there are several seat builders that will incorporate your BMW heated pan into their seat--so you are covered there either way. If you live in a mild climate then skip the heated seat.

Skip the ESA if you expect any kind of sport performance out of you bike, however if you spend most of your time switching from 1 up to 2 up you may want to consider trading off handling for ease of adjustability.

The BMW top case is over priced and ugly. The Givi top case is a good value and looks better on the RT, however it is ugly too--I just hate top cases and prefer duffles instead--again ugly, but much more functional and inexpensive.

The other thing I'd recommend is to go used. You can find a low mileage RT optioned out and save thousands.

Have fun!

I completely agree with Limecreek.

1. heated seats, grips, and cruise are great

2. Get aftermarket shocks vs. ESA. Very expensive and it

breaks from what I am hearing. Ohlins, Wilbers, Works

3. shock replacement is definitely a tech day or garage day

4. BMW topcase is ugly and absurdly over priced. I have a

Givi E52 Maxia (just bought it 3 wks. ago). Looks good,

very functional and it is half the cost.

5. I completely agree with buying preowned. I bought my 05

RT with 4K miles on it for almost $6K below list price.

A total no brainer in my book. No depreciation hit out '

the door and no huge tax hit. Be patient, look around,

and you will find the RT you want. Then just pull the

trigger. Good luck with your search.

I have on my 06: cruise, BC, heated grips and seats, clear signals. I love the cruise on long trips and I can't live without my heated grips, the heated seat was just a plus this fall as I was riding when it was down into the minus degrees a lot. I like the stock seat and have no issues with it, 14,000+ kms later. I skipped ESA and like you am always 1up and just use the bags for trips so adjusting isn't a big deal.

Also bought and had the dealer install the BMW engine guards and ELF highway pegs. It just doesn't get any better on a long highway drone, with the cruise set and your feet up!

Just had to ask. Why won't the ESA allow for sport riding when the ESA has a Sport adjustment. I use the Sport ride for all the twistys and find it to be extremely good for road feel and stiffer suspension.

This whole ESA thing is a pretty hot topic. Some say don't bother, but remember that is their opinion just like the owners that like the system. For me I am totally satisfied and I ride very twisty mountain roads most of the time. So far 12500 trouble free miles. Some owners seem to be dissatisfied as they had higher expectations of the suspension.

I suggest test riding one with the ESA if you are interested. Determine if this costly option fits your budget and riding style. This is proving to be a very popular option so I believe the after market will offer compatible replacement shocks or WP will offer rebuild services by the time I wear these out.

Currently I have a query into WP regarding their service centers to rebuild these OEM units. I will share the response if it proves to be positive. I really enjoy the flexibility of changing dampening maps on the fly for varied riding conditions. The best of all worlds for my style of riding smile.gif

Have fun with the decisions and choices

The top case is a quality unit. The Givi's don't look like they fit on the R12RT. I have owned a few Givi's and they are great unit's but they don't look like they are made for the bike like the BMW unit does. The onboard computer is not entirely accurate but is nice to have as a "guide".

Buy it all! It's all good! clap.giflmao.gifthumbsup.gif

We got ESA, heated everything, big topcase, BC, cruise, tank bag, even the Navigator II. Pretty much everything but the radio.

Had the bike for over a year, and don't regret any of it! wave.gif

I hope you didn't take any offense to my ESA comment. It is just a personal opinion and my view filtered through my desire for tight handling. My RT handled poorly until I pulled off the ESA and replaced them with Ohlins. Your experience is obviously different that mine.

In my opinion... best options in order of importance:

1. Cruise Control

2. Heated Grips

3. Heated Seat

4. Onboard Computer

5. ESA (I'm one of the members who like it ALOT)

6. Tankbag (I use the heck out of mine)

7. Small topcase

Joe

<<<Re: How to best option-out an 07 RT?>>>

I've found what's best for me and a new bike (BMW) is this:

Every time I go to tinkle I toss a $50 bill in a jar. In a mere 30 days or so I am ready to shop!

I got the following options when I bought mine. I'm happy with all of them and would do it again.

Heated Grips (Standard and used a lot!)

Heated (Low) Seat. (Have used multiple times, especially in the last few weeks.)

Cruse Control (Standard and used occasionally on long rides, would not be without.)

Bike Computer (Very useful information although I add 10 degrees to the temp readout and can get another 30-40 miles when the miles to go reads zero, and yes, the oil level warning come on WAY early.)

Large top-case (Keep my helmet, GPS, etc. conveniently locked up when away from the bike, plus, it fits my laptop.)

ESA (Frequently switching between sport and comfort depending on type of road I'm on.)

Tank Bag (Camera, binoculars, cell phone charging, map holder on longer trips. Map holder when exploring on shorter trips.)

Alarm System (Relatively cheap [$115] increase in peace of mind.)

Extra Power outlet in front. (Just in case-haven't really needed it yet)

Bag protectors (Worked in two tipovers so far. Low speed, bike on it's side. bag protectors resting on ground. No damage there.)

Valve cover protectors (plastic) (See bag protectors above. No damage to valve covers and protectors show no damage either.)

I have added:

Suburban Machinery peg lowing kit. Needed more legroom.

Suburban Machinery break pedal extender. Necessitated by lowing kit.

Motolites, brake caliper mount. I'm more visible and better lighting.

Bag reflector kit, bags and large top case. Much more visible from behind, especially at night.

Fend extenda, front. Less road crap on the engine.

Garmin Quest 2 GPS w/ram mount to handlebars above brake reservoir. (Enormously useful, almost never ride without it but still use maps to get the "bigger" picture.)

I will probably add:

Alaskan leather sheepskin butt pad. (Seat begins to be a problem after 2 hours. I'm not willing to go with an after market seat yet.)

Suburban Machinery Bar-Up Kit. (It's damn near perfect but would like a bit more upright seating position.)

Aeroflow or Cee Bailey Headlight Protector. ("Insurance")

That's about it for me. I have no use for a radio on a bike although I did have to accept a "Radio Prep Kit" to get the bike I wanted in the time frame I wanted it. I still has the antenna to nowhere mounted on it. I think it looks better that way than it would with a plug where the antenna would be.

Happy hunting grin.gif

Heated Grips (Standard and used a lot!)

Heated (low) Seat. (Have used multiple times, especially in the last few weeks.)

Cruse Control (Standard and used occasionally on long rides, would not be without.)

Bike Computer (Very useful information although I add 10 degrees to the temp readout and can get another 30-40 miles when the miles to go reads zero, and yes, the oil level warning come on WAY early.)

Large top-case (Keep my helmet, GPS, etc. conveniently locked up when away from the bike, plus, it fits my laptop.)

ESA (Frequently switching between sport and comfort depending on type of road I'm on.)

Tank Bag (Camera, binoculars, cell phone charging, map holder on longer trips. Map holder when exploring on shorter trips.)

Alarm System (Relatively cheap [$115] increase in peace of mind.)

Extra Power outlet in front. (Just in case-haven't really needed it yet)

Bag protectors (Worked in two tipovers so far. Low speed, bike on it's side. bag protectors resting on ground. No damage there.)

Valve cover protectors (plastic) (See bag protectors above. No damage to valve covers and protectors show no damage either.)

+1 on the above options.

I started with the low heated seat (high position) but traded it for the regular heated seat which I find much more comfortable.

Re: the BC - oil level sensor is now reliable, temp sensor has ben relocated to the front tupperware and now reads accurately, miles (km) to empty remains subjective and variable bike to bike.

Have yet to buy a top case

Make that +2 for ESA. Love being able to move from Sport to Comfort to Normal for varying road conditions. Add the two up feature and you have a homer...

Thanks to all for your input as it has helped immensely. I think I'll go with: heated seats & grips, cruise control, OBC, extra power socket (front) direct-wired to battery, white turn signal lenses, 49 liter top case. I'm went thru my Wunderlich catalog and am also contemplating engine protection bars. You seldom see them on RTs other than Police models so here must be a reason. It's been 9 years since my last tip-over, but it's inevitable that I'll have one again. Any experience with the engine protection bars?

If you live in a mild climate then skip the heated seat.

I'm not sure what Limecreek means by "mild climate", but I live in Gainesville, Florida, and it gets cold even here. No way I would give up my heated seat. I suggest you get it, unless you are going to replace the stock seat with another that can't use the old seat pan.

49 liter top case.

Good choice! I don't know whether this has been mentioned or not, but a BMW dealer can key your BMW top cases to your R1200RT key, so it's one key for everything, the bike, the side cases and the top case. Very convenient. I don't know whether the third-party top case solutions can be keyed the same way. Also, the 49 liter case serves also as a backrest for the passenger, if you ever carry one, another reason to get a top case over, say, a duffel bag.

I would highly recommend the Wunderlich engine protection bars. They completely saved my 1150rt in a tip over. As soon as I ordered my 07 rt, I ordered the bars so I could put them on as soon as I got the bike.

Bill

2007 r1200rt

Rocket_Cowboy
I would highly recommend the Wunderlich engine protection bars. They completely saved my 1150rt in a tip over. As soon as I ordered my 07 rt, I ordered the bars so I could put them on as soon as I got the bike.

Mine should be on the big brown truck waiting at my house tomorrow. smile.gif

Mine should be on the big brown truck waiting at my house tomorrow. smile.gif

Where did you purchase your cylinder protection bars -- BMW Santa Cruz is the only location I know of.

i heard that the '07 RTs manufactured after Feb will have a tyre pressure gauge on the BC. Can you confirm?

Tire pressure monitor system is available NOW. Several bikes in showrooms at Mortons and Bobs are so equipped. It might be the LED lighting that you are thinking of for post-Jan build bikes. Also, I have heard a rumor that there is an availability problem with ASC (skid control system). Note I said alleged problem is availability, not reliability - as I said it's a rumor.

i heard that the '07 RTs manufactured after Feb will have a tyre pressure gauge on the BC. Can you confirm?

Tire pressure monitor system is available NOW. Several bikes in showrooms at Mortons and Bobs are so equipped. It might be the LED lighting that you are thinking of for post-Jan build bikes. Also, I have heard a rumor that there is an availability problem with ASC (skid control system). Note I said alleged problem is availability, not reliability - as I said it's a rumor.

According to my user manual, the tyre pressure monitor is not even linked to the BC, but available without (At bikes without bord computer, the type pressure display toggles with the trip information, it says [in my german manual])

I have the pressure monitor and BC, so I know only for sure, that it is available now

I have the pressure monitor and BC, so I know only for sure, that it is available now

Have you checked the accuracy of the tyre pressure monitor?

No, but actually the manual tells that it's not displaying the current pressure, but a 'normalized' version, calculated on what the pressure would be at a tyre temperature of 20°C, so NOT displaying ever the value, an external pressure monitor would display (except in the moment, outside and tyre temperature would be 20°C smirk.gif )

Archived