IGNORED

Rear Drive Pinion Seal Leaking

St_Louis_Don

I’m looking at buying an 04 R1150RT, 18k on the clock but past the 3 yr in service date. I had an ex-BMW mechanic look it over. The only issue is the Rear Drive Pinion Seal is starting to leak.

How expensive of a repair is this? Is this a prelude to other problems down the road?

Thanks

My 97 started leaking @ 56,000 miles. We went ahead and replaced seals and bearings. Cost $600.00. frown.gif After it was fixed, may more happy miles! wave.gif I used Engle's in KC. Great work!

04 1150 RT with 15K. Transmission output seal leaking. Progressed enough to contaminate the rear brake rotor within a week. Don't have the bad news from the dealer yet. Looking hard at the ST's. They're pretty sexy too. Good luck

If there is a lot of oil leaking from the final drive pinion (or if the leak is really coming from the transmission output seal - check to be sure which it really is) then the seal should be replaced, but otherwise some amount of oil seepage from the final drive pinion seal is quite common. If it is just a seepage (a teaspoon or two of oil every several thousand miles) then it probably isn't worth going in, just clean everything up and keep an occasional eye on it by checking inside the rubber boot. You can have the pinion seal replaced but odds are it will just start seeping again before too long.

04 1150 RT with 15K. Transmission output seal leaking. Progressed enough to contaminate the rear brake rotor within a week. Don't have the bad news from the dealer yet.
'04 with 15K should be under warranty, yes? The "bad news" should be $0.

The leaking seal may be a symptom of a larger problem. There have been some issues with the large ball bearing next to it failing, which in turn damages the seal. Put the bike on the main stand and grab the tire top and bottom, and attempt to wiggle it. There must be no side play. NONE! If there is any side play at all, there is a bearing problem.

If it is just the seal, then that is relatively simple to replace. If the problem is the bearing, then you need to replace the bearing and reshim to get the required bearing preload (you must not just replace the bearing only). Not a huge problem, but needs a bit of skill and good measuring tools to re-establish the correct preload with the new bearing.

another David
'04 with 15K should be under warranty, yes? The "bad news" should be $0.

Depends, doesn't it? I picked up my '04 in August of '03, so I'm no longer under warranty. Hope that's not the case with the OP.

If I'm mistaken, will someone pleasantly surprise me?

David Foster

Don, mine started leaking at exactly 18k last year. Rode it to Deals Gap, then the Lima rally, carefully checking the level along the way. Replaced under warranty when I returned.

Take your bike down to Dave Clark at ABC BMW in Eureka. They will treat you right and, Tom, his tech, was the Master Tech at the STL dealer that fixed mine perfectly.

PM me if you want to ride or need garage. I've got a bunch of left over parts from mine, Twin Max, etc.

Archived