IGNORED

Correct use of Hazard Lights

Doppelganger

During heavy rains in Florida, there are drivers who turn on their hazard lights (emrgency flashers), but continue to drive at a slower pace. I suspect this is incorrect, but have never found confirmation.

What are the rules involved regarding the proper use of hazard lights?

it is actually correct as hazards are indication of slow moving vehicle. Though usually attributed to farm implements and other slow movers.

In most European cars there is a "fog" rear light setup, which most of the time is one brake light switched on solid. Driving behind somebody with the hazard flashers on permanent is really annoying.

In most European cars there is a "fog" rear light setup, which most of the time is one brake light switched on solid. Driving behind somebody with the hazard flashers on permanent is really annoying.

Is there a European rear "fog" light on European BMW motorcycles?

Is there a European rear "fog" light on European BMW motorcycles?

No, they are not a requirement and so are not generally fitted although I have seen them on some bikes. Cars however must have rear fog lights, either a symmetrically mounted pair or one on the side of the vehicle nearest the centre of the road. The smaller cars tend to have one fog (Red 21 Watt) and one reversing (white 21 watt) lights, with larger cars having to of each.

Personally I do not like the the fog lights, partly because they are left on in good weather and partly because they hide brake lights coming on. I believe many motorway multiple vehicle accidents are the result of people confusing brake lights with fog lights.

In the UK hazard lights may only be used to indicate a stationary hazard. There has however been a new use that has spread over most of Europe. When driving down the road - especially highways - and the traffic in front has stopped you put on your hazards as you slow down. This is a very effective way to alert following vehicles of the need to stop.

Andy

You would be amazed at how many IDIOT Americans with Mercedes don't know not to turn the rear fog light on or even that they have it on. There are German cars all over the US with the left taillight on bright all the time because the owner never bothered to read the owners manual.

My wife has gotten sick of my groaning about the idiots every time we pass one on the freeway. How can you spend $60,000 on a car and not learn how it works?

I think Mercedes in the only company that ships cars to the US with the rear fog system enabled.

I have now heard that in Florida, it is illegal to drive with hazards on. Hazards on cars & trucks are meant to indicate a stopped vehicle.

I have seen uphill Interstates with signs "under 40mph use hazard flashers" or something like that. Obviously not a problem in Florida. There are no uphill Interstates smirk.gif

...I think Mercedes in the only company that ships cars to the US with the rear fog system enabled.

Oh no. Besides Mercedes, other cars that come with rear foglamps (which are often illuminated by clueless Americans in clear weather dopeslap.gif ) include Audi, Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover, and, believe it or not, the top of the line Oldsmobile, (before they bit the dust), the Aurora.

I think Mercedes in the only company that ships cars to the US with the rear fog system enabled.
Nope, my Saab 9-3 has one.
I have now heard that in Florida, it is illegal to drive with hazards on. Hazards on cars & trucks are meant to indicate a stopped vehicle.

Similar DownUnder. Unless localy signed to indicate they can be used on a bad stretch of road while still moving, hazard lights are for stationary vehicles. That doesn't mean people use them that way though

You would be amazed at how many IDIOT Americans with Mercedes don't know not to turn the rear fog light on or even that they have it on. There are German cars all over the US with the left taillight on bright all the time because the owner never bothered to read the owners manual.

You be just as amazed how many people here don't seem to know how to turn them on and off as well, there are a lot who I think switch them on in the first foggy weather at this time of year and seem to leave them on until the Spring regardless of conditions!

The other misuse that irritates me is to use them in heavy rain at night, when the light scatter from spray is just awful!

There has however been a new use that has spread over most of Europe. When driving down the road - especially highways - and the traffic in front has stopped you put on your hazards as you slow down. This is a very effective way to alert following vehicles of the need to stop.

This is now written into the Highway Code;

96: Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights whilst driving unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

Law RVLR reg 27

Interestingly my Car has a feature that switches the hazard lights on if the brakes are hit really hard!

When driving down the road - especially highways - and the traffic in front has stopped you put on your hazards as you slow down. This is a very effective way to alert following vehicles of the need to stop.

Andy

Indeed - if you brake hard enough - and late enough ! - the car may well do it for you, e.g. Renault, Mercedes, etc. However, this is probably just about the same time as the airbags inflate.......... blush.gif

I put them on on the motorcycle when riding in HEAVY rain.

I put them on in the car when braking heavy to warn those behind me.

-Eff

When driving down the road - especially highways - and the traffic in front has stopped you put on your hazards as you slow down. This is a very effective way to alert following vehicles of the need to stop.

Perhaps that's why you can turn on the hazards without removing your hands from the handlebar grips. Just press both turn signal buttons at the same time.

I last used this when caught in a heavy Colorado snow storm on my RT. Every time a car approached from the rear (I was going very very slow as I could barely see) I turned on the hazards, crossed my fingers and toes, and hoped they wouldn't splat me like a giant bug.

Stan

-Eff

I always use mine for braking when I am going over 40mph and want to make sure the idiots behind me see me slowing. Unlike in Europe, here in the states most people don't bother to do this. Wish they would add that to the driving manual and tests here.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

-Eff

I always use mine for braking when I am going over 40mph and want to make sure the idiots behind me see me slowing. Unlike in Europe, here in the states most people don't bother to do this. Wish they would add that to the driving manual and tests here.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

I just recently started doing that, ever since some 17-year-old kid rear-ended me. I also put them on some times when I split lanes.

During heavy rains in Florida, there are drivers who turn on their hazard lights (emrgency flashers), but continue to drive at a slower pace. I suspect this is incorrect, but have never found confirmation.

You are correct. It is illegal to use the "four way flasher" while driving in Florida.

I don't believe anyone has ever gotten a ticket for doing it, but it's still the way the traffic code is written.

AD

In the UK hazard lights may only be used to indicate a stationary hazard. There has however been a new use that has spread over most of Europe. When driving down the road - especially highways - and the traffic in front has stopped you put on your hazards as you slow down. This is a very effective way to alert following vehicles of the need to stop.

Andy

I have fitted a rear fog light to my K just for the extra light when visibility is reduced. I also put a very bright red LED in my line of sight to remind me to turn the darn thing off!

But on the hazzard use. I have also noticed more people using them on highways to indicate slow or stopped traffic ahead. I do this too in order to avoid being rear ended. However I remember a couple of weeks ago being in the outer lane of a 2 lane road, noticing the slowing of cars ahead as they dissapeared round a bend with their hazzards going. I put mine on, rolled off the throttle and touched my brakes just enough to activate the brake lights. I was to theh left of my lane. I glanced to my right and noticed the wing mirror of a Mazda MX-5 (Eunos?) forcing its way past me! Since we were doing 60+ at the time, I moved to the inner lane watched him accelerate away...then hit his brakes hard enough to lock all 4 wheels as he realised there was a reason I was in the outer lane, slowing, with brake and hazzard lights on... lmao.gif Well...it was funny to me since I was happily out of the danger area and fully ready to deal with the approaching problems

Unlike in Europe, here in the states most people don't bother to do this. Wish they would add that to the driving manual and tests here.Kaisr thumbsup.gif

They friend that taught me this, learned it driving in Europe. It really works!

-Eff

Lets_Play_Two

This means "I am too scared to drive the rain, please don't run over me."

Lets_Play_Two

"I think Mercedes in the only company that ships cars to the US with the rear fog system enabled."

Volvo does. I might suggest that you not let "idiot" Mercedes drivers control your day grin.gif

Archived