IGNORED

R1200RT Tupperwear Removal FAQ

BigChill

I recieved some instructions with the BMW vlave cover guards I installed. If no one post anything I will be glad to scan them in tonight. It's pretty easy.. just keep up with all those screws!

It's pretty easy.. just keep up with all those screws!

I had to replace two misplaced screws. At $0.70 a pop, it can start to add up.

This is really easy - a couple of notes though:

1. You need to remove the outer covers first – there is one screw below (look under the radio switches – left side) and one at the dash. On the below screw, there are two right next to each over. Only one needs to come off – if you get the wrong one, you will know it when the panel does not release.

2. On the left side, the power outlet plug needs to be removed. It is in a really tight spot. I found that a set of needle nose pliers helps to compress the wing tabs on the plug. Needle nose Vice Grips work even better.

3. The two screws that hold the skins around the exhaust are one Torx size larger and longer than the rest.

4. To get the right side off, the CD player/Glove Box cover needs to be removed. There are two screws holding the lid (they are shorter than the rest - note this when putting everything back - see item 6). They are located on the edge of the lid opposite the latch, under the edge of the skin.

5. There are four or five screws surrounding the glove box that must be removed.

6. When replacing the glove box lid, first put all screws around the edge back in place. Then put the lid in place and latch it shut. This will help align the screws and lid accurately and hold everything in place.

7. Put all the screws in loosely so that everything aligns, then tighten. I don’t think that there is any particular order to this but I usually start at the three screws on the bottom by the peg and work counter clockwise.

It's pretty easy.. just keep up with all those screws!

I had to replace two misplaced screws. At $0.70 a pop, it can start to add up.

As absurdly expensive as this is for a simple screw, it is a lot better than some Ducati screws. A friend had to buy some windshield screws for his 750. They cost $20 EACH!!! Not bad for something that cost no more than a penny to make on an automatic screw machine!

As absurdly expensive as this is for a simple screw, it is a lot better than some Ducati screws. A friend had to buy some windshield screws for his 750. They cost $20 EACH!!! Not bad for something that cost no more than a penny to make on an automatic screw machine!

I think I'd look for another source if it got above a couple of dollars per screw.

http://www.fastenal.com/

For a lot of parts on their bikes, BMW just the middle-man.

6. When replacing the glove box lid, first put all screws around the edge back in place. Then put the lid in place and latch it shut. This will help align the screws and lid accurately and hold everything in place.

Make sure you try the glove box release button a few times as you tighten the screws around it. Sometimes if they are slightly out of alignment, when you press the button down, it will get stuck under the fairing panel thumbsup.gif

Archived