IGNORED

Would you go ahead and replace this?

Willie

I was checking out my plug wires to trouble shoot and idle problem and I saw the left side wire has a slice in the outer sheath right above the clip that holds it near the TB. I ran the bike in the dark and didn't see any spark leakage, but do you think I shoul dget a new set of wires anyway or just maybe tape it up? Didn't have the fairing off, so I really couldn't get in there to bend it and see how deep it is.Could I get away with just taping it up? Thanks

Tape it up for now if you are still riding, but order a new set. Once moisture gets in there, rideability issues will come up, which could leave you stranded.

You found a defect, fix it, you will not have to think about it again.

milesandmiles

I think the best way to tell is to start the bike and touch your tongue to the lead. If your hair straightens, change the leads. dopeslap.gif

Depends upon exactly how anal you are eek.gif

For the short term, I would have epoxied it AND taped it up plus ordered new plug leads (replaced both!) ASAP thumbsup.gif!

Jerry Johnston
I think the best way to tell is to start the bike and touch your tongue to the lead. If your hair straightens, change the leads. dopeslap.gif

Is this advice from experience? Maybe you should change your handle to milesandSmiles.

Tape it up. It works fine now, so what's the problem? If it starts to have actual problems later, then replace it at that time. It won't suddenly stop working compeltely on you; just start missing at higher throttle openings. So there will be plenty of time to replace it, before it gets worse, if the time comes.

I was checking out my plug wires to trouble shoot and idle problem and I saw the left side wire has a slice in the outer sheath right above the clip that holds it near the TB. I ran the bike in the dark and didn't see any spark leakage, but do you think I shoul dget a new set of wires anyway or just maybe tape it up? Didn't have the fairing off, so I really couldn't get in there to bend it and see how deep it is.Could I get away with just taping it up? Thanks

Willie, if that cut is clear through to the inner core then definitely replace the wire.. If the cut is only superficial then you can probably reach up in there & fill the cut with a good silicone sealer on your finger tip, then when that dries cover the wire in that area with some of that split black plastic convoluted tubing available from your local auto parts store.. Many auto companies use that black convoluted plastic tubing on ign plug wires where they run near abrasive areas.. As a matter of fact I have my 1150RT plug wires covered with that convoluted tubing where they run close to the TBI cams as the wires were pretty close to the moving parts & I didn’t want to have happen what you are seeing..

Twisty

Anyone have a part number? I was looking to price them off the A&S cycle site and they only show for a daul spark, and even those numbers don't come up for pricing. Bone yard has a used set for $50 though in VG condition. I'll have to check them out this week. I should pull the fairing to check some other stuff also. I am having an issue with my idle being pulled up to around 1400rpm's when I stop at the lights. That's what got me looking around again. I have to see if anything is binding. Any other thoughts on what it can be? It doesn't do it all the time though. Terry

3-M Scotchkote is a waterproof sealant used for electrical situations such as this.

I have used it to seal repairs made on underground cables with great success. Available at electrical supply stores. CAUTION...it is messy to use. grin.gif

My plug wires L&R, also have cuts in the sheath, but not so bad. FWIW, I found that the plug wires 'rub' against the inside edge of the fairing. Put some of that insulating sheath (you know the cheap black plastic stuff that wraps over a group of wires) over the wire as an ounce of prevention.

Archived