IGNORED

R1200RT Tank Bag

jtb

My BMW tank bag is starting to look pretty shabby and I have been looking at he Tourtech tank bag and the Wunderlich tank bag as an alternative to tbe BMW bag. Do any of you have any experience with either of these bags? confused.gif

I have no experience with the T or W brands but I do have a Marsee tank bag that is working well for me. I would recommend you look at their tear drop shape bags. It mirrors the shape of the tank. Depending on how much room you need I would get the 15-20 liter size. They are very well made and reasonably priced. I bought mine from a private party and it looked brand new.

I just received my BMW RT bag in the mail. I gotta say, the mounting system is just plain slick. I've yet to put on a single mile (in fact I just put the bag on the bike for the first time.) But the BMW bag looks to be very well made. Easy on and easy off.

I found it at an online parts store for 265. I was pleased given that most places have it at 308. Admittedly - thats a lot of cash. But...I had to have the tank bag.

Where did you find it for $265, the least I have found it for was $285.00. I admit the BMW bag is very nice, I am just looking to maybe find something different.

Webparts.com has it for 265.91 - Shipping was prompt. No complaints.

I was thinking about which bag to get - and looking at other options for a while now. After months of trying to decide I finally just went with the BMW bag.

You should post what you think of the bag after 6-7 months. I'm extremely disapointed with my bag.

- Adhesive holding on the rubber bumpers has turned to chalk. I had already lost one before I noticed this. I've since re-attached them with automotive weatherstrip adhesive.

After a good rain, the bag will pool with water between the waterproof sac and outer shell(as much as a pint). The bag will create a big puddle where you set it down. They should have just supplied a slip-on rain cover. I use a raincover from a Wolfman Denali bag.

When opening the top flap, the zippered edge can easily scratch the instrument cluster lense if you're not careful.

It should have been designed to open from the side, or toward the rider.

The ends of the fabric handle have become frayed; one of them is more than 3/4 detached.

Rocket_Cowboy

I've heard from two other owners about the rubber bumpers coming loose and in most cases getting lost. I'm contemplating pre-emptively pulling mine free, and glueing them back with something more substantial than whatever adhesive is being used in production. But likewise, I've only had mine two weeks, so no complaints as of yet.

CoarsegoldKid

I have used the factory bag for a year now and it appears just fine. I think you guys ride a lot more than I. It's too hot to ride during summer for me. It has seen little weather. Only one rain, but lots of heat. I didn't know about rubber parts jumping off, I'll have to look at it tomorrow.

I wish it had side pockets like past Lockart bags did. By the way my Lockart bag is still in good shape after 22 years. The BMWbag's expanding top does allow a bunch of stuff to go in. The map pouch is generally difficult to open with gloves. The mounting is sweet. I don't suppose aftermarket bags utilize the same mounting.

You should post what you think of the bag after 6-7 months. I'm extremely disapointed with my bag.

- Adhesive holding on the rubber bumpers has turned to chalk. I had already lost one before I noticed this. I've since re-attached them with automotive weatherstrip adhesive.

After a good rain, the bag will pool with water between the waterproof sac and outer shell(as much as a pint). The bag will create a big puddle where you set it down. They should have just supplied a slip-on rain cover. I use a raincover from a Wolfman Denali bag.

When opening the top flap, the zippered edge can easily scratch the instrument cluster lense if you're not careful.

It should have been designed to open from the side, or toward the rider.

The ends of the fabric handle have become frayed; one of them is more than 3/4 detached.

Geez! For the amount of money BMW charges for thier accessories ($300 for a tank bag eek.gif) it should last a lot longer than that! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I had my BMW tank bag on the '05 since I bought the bike. (Dealer made a killer deal) I haven't had any problems with it. The bag was on the bike on all 24000 miles that I put it.

The only issue has been with the clear map case. It is showing some yellowing. You can only tell when it's next to a new one.

I also wished it had side pockets and was flippable. But still one of the best bags I've had on a bike.

Best,

I recently bought a Touratech 11 literbag. It is very well made and the connection system is designed for the r12rt, and the price is right too. This is my first tank bag and I couldn't be happier with it. I am thinking about the larger one for long trips. thumbsup.gif

I didn't know about rubber parts jumping off, I'll have to look at it tomorrow.

Do yourself a favor and re-apply the bumpers with a better adhesive; they will eventually fall off. The original glue used to hold them on look like nothing more than arts&crafts glue.

My disappointment with the RT bag is based on quality vs. price. I have a Wofman Denali tank bag which I used on my F650GS. The Denali bag is far superior in both quality and design, and it's priced less than half what the RT bag cost.

I've been thinking about trying to adapt the Denali bag to the RT bag's tank mounting plate.

I got a BMW bag when I got my '06 RT in April this year. I've put on 21,500 kms with no problems whatsoever (the bag was on the bike for every one of those). I've had none of the water problems mentioned above.

I was caught in a decent amount of rain on the way home from work today - absolutely no leaks at all... Will provide updates along the way. Gotta tell you - I stopped to fuel up and man the quick release system is a snap....

Here's my 10 cents worth - my BMW bag is likely the ugliest tank bag you can buy, but it holds a ton of stuff, and is watertight - totally. Also, I never again will jerk around with tank bag straps, this baby clicks on and Locks in place and pops off with one finger. Bottom line - it is functional equipment that works extremely well - worth the outrageous price.

Sorry to hear about your tank bag. AFter 17,000 miles the year old bag on my 05 RT is holding up great. I have been through several rain storms (a couple humdingers) and everything was dry. A couple of outside pockets would be handy.

I've been thinking about trying to adapt the Denali bag to the RT bag's tank mounting plate.

I too am not very happy with the BMW tank bag and was also looking for a nice bag that would adapt to the mount system - can't beat the way it mounts. If anyone comes up with a nice medium sized bag with side pockets that they've adapted to the current mount I'd love to hear from you. I looked at a couple but it appears difficult to find one that will allow the bars to turn lock-to-lock without hitting the bag. Was thinking about a nice medium sized bag that would hold a few essentials.

I have the 'low-profile' Touratech bag. Quality construction, easy enough to take on and off and has a decent handle to carry with when off. Biggest downside is it's not waterproof. (I think the bigger bag is) Attaches with velcro on the rider side and two tabs on the front side, so detaches in seconds. Much cheaper than the BMW bag, but if you want waterproof you'll need the raincover. Not sure if I should have just found a deal on the BMW bag...

I got gas today, the ease of gassing my RT with the BMW tank bag helped me make a decision. I ordered another BMW bag. BMW of Chicago gave me the best price I could find (as they usually do on BMW parts).

Even though I am not completly satisfied with it, the BMW bag is very slick, I use it every day and it is never off of my bike except when I get gas. Until someone comes up with a bag that uses the rail system like the BMW bag and is clearly better priced and better quality, I will stick with the Beemer bag.

I'm glad you mentioned that schtick about the rain water inside the bag. Killed a phone, camera and got my Walther PPK completely soaked INSIDE the bag during a particularly heavy section of rain riding. For awhile there I thought it just me.

I like the idea of the bag cover. May have to track one of those down or just make something up to cover it in really bad rains, which we get down here in Florida.

AD

I'm glad you mentioned that schtick about the rain water inside the bag. Killed a phone, camera and got my Walther PPK completely soaked INSIDE the bag during a particularly heavy section of rain riding. For awhile there I thought it just me.

I like the idea of the bag cover. May have to track one of those down or just make something up to cover it in really bad rains, which we get down here in Florida.

AD

Don't get me wrong, the inner liner is actually waterproof and does the job. I just didn't like the fact that when I take the bag off the bike after a heavy rain, there was about 1 pint of water trapped between the inner and outer layers. If you aren't proactive in drying the bag out, you could have mold/mildew bwteen the layers. I think it's a poor design.

For the $300+ it cost, I just think they could have put some more thought into the design of the bag itself, not just the mounting system.

I have one of the smaller Touratech bags and I like it..A couple of items mentioned later to be aware of.....

Easy to flip up out of the way when fueling and about 5 minute original install...Also comes off in seconds with the twist of a couple of fasteners up front if you want to take it with you into the restaurant...Carrying handle too....I wanted a small bag for day riding basically..I don't like big, tall bags...Fits contour of the tank well and bars don't touch it until almost to the lock so that's no problem..One small item is that the side stiffener tends to lean and not remain straight up...Not bad and no big deal but wanted to mention it...Map case is too wide for the small bag to suit me...I think they use the same map case for all bags...I just use one off an older Tourmaster bag...Velcro matches up OK.......

Priced reasonably too...About $125.00..

Part no. 055-1154

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/bmw.lasso?SubCat=R1200RT

Phil........Redbrick

Don't get me wrong, the inner liner is actually waterproof and does the job. I just didn't like the fact that when I take the bag off the bike after a heavy rain, there was about 1 pint of water trapped between the inner and outer layers. If you aren't proactive in drying the bag out, you could have mold/mildew bwteen the layers. I think it's a poor design.

For the $300+ it cost, I just think they could have put some more thought into the design of the bag itself, not just the mounting system.

Pardon my ignorance as I haven't seen the BMW bag, but it sounds like the H2O is collecting between the cordura outer bag and a water-proof inner liner. If so, why not punch a small hole and install a brass or plastic grommet to prevent unravelling. If located on low side of the bag, said hole would function as a drain. Also, would treating the outer cordura surfaces with durable waterproofing cut down (eliminate) H2O penetration. Sorry if I've said anything stupid - I'm still shopping for an 07RT and had thought about the tank bag.

Pardon my ignorance as I haven't seen the BMW bag, but it sounds like the H2O is collecting between the cordura outer bag and a water-proof inner liner. If so, why not punch a small hole and install a brass or plastic grommet to prevent unravelling. If located on low side of the bag, said hole would function as a drain. Also, would treating the outer cordura surfaces with durable waterproofing cut down (eliminate) H2O penetration. Sorry if I've said anything stupid - I'm still shopping for an 07RT and had thought about the tank bag.

Using a tank bag cover is much easier. Anyway, the remedies you mentioned should have been things BMW considered when they designed the bag.

Archived