IGNORED

BMW CB/intercom

drodg

I called a dealer to look at installing a Baehr intercom system on my R12RT. The service manager told me that they can now install the BMW intercom system originally for the K11LT that is made by J&M Audio on my bike. Any info out there?

I had the J&M system on my '97 and then moved it to the '05. Getting ready to mount it to the '07 K12GT.

If you want CB, it's the bomb. The hardest thing is the antenna mount. Once that is done, you're ready to "good buddy" every driver out there.

I got my system from Sierra MC. Great service and good prices.

A word of advice, get the Elite headset.

Best,

Rob Lessen

Arma, KS

'73 Honda XL250

'91 R100GSPD

'96 R11RS

'07 K12GT

Rocket_Cowboy

Interesting topic ... as I'm getting ready to try and move my Autocom over, what are ya'll doing for antenna brackets? Does Sierra, J&M, or anyone else have a pre-fab'ed bracket on the market, or am I stuck trying to build something myself?

Just this week I had a BMW dealer install the comII on my 2005 R12RT. It is quite a job to get it integrated with the factory BMW AM/FM/CD. But it all seems to work fine. It is on the expensive side for the unit and expensive to install. I decided to do the BMW one because I wanted the CB. Adding the CB to the Autocom seemed like a problem and more money. Overall the BMW unit cost more especially after the install. The BMW intercom is made by j&m if i did not have the factory am/FM radio and cd player I probably would have gone with a unit like the autocom. The BMW CB uses the factory am/fm radio so a dedicated CB antenna is not needed. All seems to be working fine. The BMW technician did a great job on the install. Even the headset cord recepticals are built into the plastic.

good luck

Rocket_Cowboy
Just this week I had a BMW dealer install the comII on my 2005 R12RT. It is quite a job to get it integrated with the factory BMW AM/FM/CD. But it all seems to work fine. It is on the expensive side for the unit and expensive to install. I decided to do the BMW one because I wanted the CB. Adding the CB to the Autocom seemed like a problem and more money. Overall the BMW unit cost more especially after the install. The BMW intercom is made by j&m if i did not have the factory am/FM radio and cd player I probably would have gone with a unit like the autocom. The BMW CB uses the factory am/fm radio so a dedicated CB antenna is not needed. All seems to be working fine. The BMW technician did a great job on the install. Even the headset cord recepticals are built into the plastic.

good luck

Got any pictures? If that works with the am/fm antenna, that just might do the trick. Can you connect a cell phone or V1 into the comII?

The headset cables have always been a concern for me with the Autocom. I like the idea of the integrated recepticals too.

I don't have any pic - but may take some later. I assume you may be interested in where the intercom cables hook up and perhaps the CB/Intercom mounting.

Oh, not only did I have to buy the cb/intercom unit I had to buy headsets and cables. My goldwing stuff would not work with this BMW/J&M stuff. More cost!

I know that one can hook up just about anything. I plan to hook up a GPS later and I know that it has an option to hookup another AWD (audio warning device) I believe it will accomodate a cell phone also. I did not look for it in the instructions as I wasn't going to install that option. The BMW service can provide a copy of the install instructions - I got those and reviewed them before putting out the big bucks. I was going to do the install myself - but got cold feet given it had to be registered with the bikes computer. I believe you have to have a special tool to accomplish this and the BMW tech that did the work said it took him 3 trys to accomplish the registration ( my term I don't know what the process is called)

The CB does use the AM/FM antenna - and I beleive it will work fine however I have not tried it yet. You can buy a dedicated CB antenna if you want. My inquires with J&M and others indicated that the AM/FM would work fine. The long distance communications may be less than with the dedicated antenna. I don't think that will be a problem as I don't think I will need to talk more than a couple miles away from my bike. When first hooked up I was able to listen to the radio and could hear some CB chater in the background - but turned down the CB volume and squelch and heard only the radio.

Also, before I decided to do this I called j&M and talked with them. They advised that the main part I could not get directly form them was the bracket to mount the CB unit. I believe there are other parts that one has to get from BMW.

I am anxious to ride 2 up to see how it all works.

guckeen2005@yahoo.com.au

Rocket_Cowboy

Thanks for all that feedback. That's definitely the kind of info I was looking for.

Yes, the pictures I'm most interested in is the cabling, and the headset recepticals.

Most of the problems I'm having with the Autocom when using the Cobra CB has been getting all the noise out of the system, and fighting problems getting the radio to work bike powered. Then to add a dedicated NGP antenna ... it's just a little more work. With a turn key system, I'd be much happier I think.

I don't have any pic - but may take some later. I assume you may be interested in where the intercom cables hook up and perhaps the CB/Intercom mounting.

Oh, not only did I have to buy the cb/intercom unit I had to buy headsets and cables. My goldwing stuff would not work with this BMW/J&M stuff. More cost!

I know that one can hook up just about anything. I plan to hook up a GPS later and I know that it has an option to hookup another AWD (audio warning device) I believe it will accomodate a cell phone also. I did not look for it in the instructions as I wasn't going to install that option. The BMW service can provide a copy of the install instructions - I got those and reviewed them before putting out the big bucks. I was going to do the install myself - but got cold feet given it had to be registered with the bikes computer. I believe you have to have a special tool to accomplish this and the BMW tech that did the work said it took him 3 trys to accomplish the registration ( my term I don't know what the process is called)

The CB does use the AM/FM antenna - and I beleive it will work fine however I have not tried it yet. You can buy a dedicated CB antenna if you want. My inquires with J&M and others indicated that the AM/FM would work fine. The long distance communications may be less than with the dedicated antenna. I don't think that will be a problem as I don't think I will need to talk more than a couple miles away from my bike. When first hooked up I was able to listen to the radio and could hear some CB chater in the background - but turned down the CB volume and squelch and heard only the radio.

Also, before I decided to do this I called j&M and talked with them. They advised that the main part I could not get directly form them was the bracket to mount the CB unit. I believe there are other parts that one has to get from BMW.

I am anxious to ride 2 up to see how it all works.

guckeen2005@yahoo.com.au

so I know my cables won't work from my gl1800 but the speakers and microphone in my J&M helmet (Arai) won't work either?

Rocket_Cowboy

So apparently not all dealers are aware of this. I took the RT in this morning for the 600 mile service. The plan was to get an Autocom installed at the same time, until I saw this thread (see me previous comments above). Anyway, asking them about the BMW CB/Intercom setup for the RT, and this was news to them.

The BMW website still doesn't show it as an option for the RT, so I'm curious where I can get more info. I'm trying to decide whether to go this route, which I'm fairly interested in at this point, even knowing that it'll cost me more in the long run, or to stick with my original plan and continue down the Autocom route.

The BMW solution would give me an easy, integrated solution, although it looks like it'll lock me into CB with no option for FRS. The Autocom solution would be a little cheaper, gives me the flexibility to use any 2-way radio I want ... assuming I can work out the bugs associated with each, but now I have to do the integration work. As compressed as my free time has been lately due to work schedules, I'm inclined to go the BMW integrated route ... but I need to find more info to help the shop get up to speed on this one.

I installed the BMW system on my bike in favor of the J&M simply because of the tailored wiring harness and the antenna mount that fits under the luggage rack instead of the J&M license plate bracket.

It works fine does the job and really only applicable if you cannot live without CB. I prefer the Autocom as an intercom but the CB integration is hit or miss, though I got mine to work - sometimes.

Check with J&M and perhaps you can use your headset speakers. I had hondaline with my GL1800 and could not use them. even with the autocom I would have had to change out the headsets and cords.

I did work with mine and found one thing I don't like. The am/fm radio speakers are on at the same time as the headsets. I would perfer the speakers to be off and adjust the headphone volume.

To find out more information ask for BMw bulletin # 71-25-2006 (056) they probably will not provide this one but my bmw service center was to provide the Installation instructions for me to review. The BMW Part number 71 60 0 412 987. this is step by step installation instruction. I would review this first before buying the unit to see if it meets your needs.

My needs were the CB/Intercom and the ability to intergrate with the factory AM/FM/CD radio. Other options exist but none seemed to have a straigt forward CB hookup.

took some pics of the headset plugs in the plastic but am not sure how to upload them

good luck

Archived