IGNORED

How do I get this thing off?

rickmoen

When my Autocom system was installed, I put this helmet cable holder where I thought it should go. Of course, now I'd like to move it. It had a peel-off backing, and when placed, let me tell you, this is one really great adhesive! I'm hesitant to just tug and rip on it because it might break. I don't want to cut with a knife because I may cut the paint. I'm leary of chemicals because of damaging paint. I know that I could just take off the tank bag mounting gizmo because I don't use a tank bag. Any ideas as to how to get the cable holder off without damage? Thanks in advance.

Holder

If you spray WD40 on the adhesive portion that will help soften it. You can use a twisting motion to break it free. Once it is removed, you can use some heat (hair dryer on low) along with WD40 and a rag. WD40 will not harm the paint.

I had some very sticky double back adhesive on my Kawasaki's windscreen. I did as I suggested above and it came off without a trace.

Perry

You can use a twisting motion to break it free.
Or, once the WD40 has "had its way" with the adhesive for a little while, take a piece of dental floss and work it back and forth like a string saw. That will get rid of most of the foam stuff, cut the piece off, and allow access to the residual glue/foam for a good soaking w/ WD40.

Another product that seems to cut adhesive really well is spray can "ProtectAll".... and it will leave the bike shiny!

Or, once the WD40 has "had its way" with the adhesive for a little while, take a piece of dental floss and work it back and forth like a string saw.

A lot of TT owners on AudiWorld forum have used the dental floss method(and hair dryer heat) to "debadge" their rear bumbers.

It must work pretty well because some of those guys are extremely anal about their car's finish.

Thanks guys! The WD-40 plus a little heat did the trick. The dental floss speeded up the task so that it was less than a 1 can (of beverage) job! Now my baby is pristine again! This forum is so good! Rick

It only took me 157 posts to get a useful one clap.gif

But I didn't mention floss so I cant take all the credit (I actually forgot about that trick) bncry.gif

Archived