IGNORED

R1200RT After Market Windscreens

Tom_T

Has anyone done a study of/have comments about after market windscreens for this bike? I have a Cee Baileys on my K12LT and I love it. I know that this vendor makes several for this bike as does ZTechnik?

Anyone have any experience they can share about these?

Tom

Have a 06 PR and replaced stock w/s with a aeroflow. Very satisfied with the aeroflow it is significantly quieter.

Mike Perez

Dublin, Ohio

Mike:

I looked at them a few years ago for the LT, however, I didn't buy one because of asthetics ... the nuts and bolts were out in the open on the windscreen. Are they still that way for the R1200RT?

Rocket_Cowboy

I purchased an Aeroflow for my RT because of my experience with Paige and Aeroflow on his ST1300 development.

I haven't mounted mine on the RT yet, but it looks like it's just a simple swap, with the stock screw cover fitting back over the top of the new screen. There shouldn't be any new hardware showing at all ... except for the wind deflectors that stick onto the dash.

I'll get pics as soon as I get things mounted up. Bike got rained on at dinner tonight, so I need to dry things off and get her cleaned up again before I can do the swap.

I've heard reports that some of the aftermarket screens are a bit much for the stock support brackets (additional wind pressure too much for the support.) You may want to check out the board for ideas/lessons learned on the screen swap.

I've no current plans to switch from the stock shield, but if I were I think I'd invest in some more robust supports.

I changed from my stock one to a Cee Baileys. I got it the same height as the stock screen, but 1" wider. It is a huge difference over the stock screen for practically the same size. My decision for this size was influenced by not wanting to put too much undue stress on the actuation linkage. The Cee Baileys screen has a flip at the top and a little flare out on the sides.

The stock screen in the down position would have the windblast over the top striking me at my collarbone. With the Cee Baileys in the down position, the wind hits in the middle of the faceshield of my helmet. I don't have to raise the Cee Baileys near as much for the same wind protection as I would have to with the stock one. I am very satisfied with this screen.

The Z-Technik V-Stream provides more protection than OEM, creates less noise, is less expensive, and attracts fewer bugs on the inside of the shield.

Many thanks to all for sharing your comments. While I don't find the stock shield to be particularly distressing, I am thinking about the impact it could have on me for IBR's. I will probably get an after market shield.

Tom,

I am in Roswell, GA and have a Ztechnik on my 2005 Piedmont Red RT. I am very pleased with it after probably close to 10k miles. PM and we can arrange for you to see it, if you like, and if you are in the Atlanta area.

Cheers,

Lynne

Have a 06 PR and replaced stock w/s with a aeroflow. Very satisfied with the aeroflow it is significantly quieter.

Same here. The Aeroflow reduced the wind noise significantly. So did switching from my flip-front helmet to an Arai.

The noise is so much better that I only wear earplugs for Interstate runs.

BTW, I'm 6-0 feet and have the medium Aeroflow.

Tom I have the Z-Technik on my 2005 RT and am very pleased with it. It makes a big difference for rider. Smaller improvement for passenger, but still better than stock. I have about 4k miles on it, and no problems so far with the screen or the RT's mounting system.

• 2 months later...

I bought a Cee Bailey +1 tall +1 wide in light gray. I am 6'1" with a 33" inseem and have the seat in the high position. I can't imagine anyone that would need anything much taller! It works well and find plenty of air in the low position and no reason to move it all the way up. I would go with the clear color next time - with the light gray and the flip at the top there are weird reflections from the instruments and GPS at night.

There is enough protection that I can stay reasonably dry in the rain at freeway speeds. I can't tell you about protection for a passenger.

I bought a used CB +3 +3 from someone here and it works great. Couldn't hear the radio with the stock screen at freeway speeds, now with the CB halfway up I can hear it fine (or when I just want a break from the wind). My guess is that it will be too hot in the summer but I don't know.

The only after market windscreen I have ever owned ( at least 5 others for different bikes ) that has worked for me is the Ztecknic.

It is a very nice addition to the otherwise excellent protection on the 12RT.

I would be cautious of buying an after market screen much larger than the Ztecknic since some folks are reporting problems with their windshield 'arms' using the larger screens at the higher settings.

Not sure you can say that is the definitive 'cause and effect' but seems there is some correlation confused.gif

Jim

Z technik got my the vote, and does everything said above, and this was a good purchase, I'm happy.

Only thing to expect is a bit more handlebar reaction from strong side winds, but I guess that may go for all larger screens. After all, the 'sail' size is increased.

i have had both aeroflow and cee bailey. advantage cee bailey- heavier material, can get in various heights, just a bit less wind push from behind. rode both back to back and kept switching back and forth until i was satisfied.

Anyone know if Z Technik plans to offer a "shorty" screen? I am looking for more airflow on my upper body during hot riding conditions.

I am 5'11", used several after market including Cee Bailey 2+2, finally settled on CeeBaily with stk height and either 1or 2" wider. Love it. Lots of adjustment.

Archived