IGNORED

MAKE YOURSELF SEEN!!!

USAF1

A couple days/weeks back, (it's all realative at my age...) I came down the hill in a merge lane......slid in the lane of traffic and then waited til traffic was clear in the diamond lane before moving into it.

As the last car in the diamond lane pulled up to my rearend (still to the left of me) I checked both the fish-eye mirror AND the bikes mirror.....turned my head and looked along behind the car (by now, right next to me).

I gave him a pretty good lead (call it 20 feet or so) before I pulled over behind him. AFTER id completed the move something in the left mirror caught my eye, and I turned my head a hair to the left again, and there's another guy on his LT waving at me.......well, his hand was out and all 5 fingers were showing anyway. I freaked out, for not paying closer attention..........though he was pretty close to the car ahead of him.......he had been "hiding" in the "left third" of the lane. I hadn't seen hide nor hair of him until he showed up with that movement in my mirror.

As a reminder to all of you....ride in the lane of traffic where the most people (cage drivers) are going to see you.

If you're on a divided (4 lane) hwy...and in the left lane....ride in the right "third" of the lane......and if you're in the right lane........plant yourself in the left third of the lane. Either way, the dummy directly in front of you, and the vehicles to his/her/ right or left will see you also (if they're paying attention, of course dopeslap.gif.

Pat

As lovely as it sounds - trying to be seen isn't the answer.

Knowing that you'll never be seen IS.

Sure - make the effort! I certainly do.

Bright lights, modulated headlights, lane positioning, bright clothing, even movement to bring the focus upon yourself. You may increase the number of folks who will see you, which will make a small improvement in your odds.

But I have personally witnessed idiots run into large trucks, brightly colored cars, stationary objects with reflective bands and/or lights, and once even a police car running Code 4. (Lights and siren.)

Since those oxygen wasters can overlook (and run into) a police car when it's all lit up and making noise - they're not going to see you, no matter what you do.

Ride accordingly.

G.

If you're on a divided (4 lane) hwy...and in the left lane....ride in the right "third" of the lane......and if you're in the right lane........plant yourself in the left third of the lane.

And I totally disagree. I plant myself where I will have the easiest escape route if the cage fails to see me and enters my lane. If there is a breakdown lane to either side of me I plant myself in the third of the lane that will allow me to make use of the breakdown the fastest. Even without a breakdown lane I want the maximum time to react to the cage when (not if) it wants to occupy my lane.

My two cents.

Stan

I think you can do both.

If the LT rider had moved over and then back to his escape position it is more likely he would be seen.

It could have been a car merging, not a bike.

I ride mostly in the R wheel track when commuting, which is contrary to many opinions.

The reason is that over 99% of traffic is coming in to town and toward me. In the R hand wheel track I'm more visible, and visible sooner, to anyone wanting to pass coming toward me.

In the 35 mile stretch w/no traffic I ride in the center to give me Bambi escape room to both sides. (unless oncoming vehicle @ 10 in over 30 miles)

On limited access roads I try to ride in the escape position. However, I try to anticipate lane changes and avoid them becoming a problem by regulating speed and/or lane position.

Sometimes moving within the lane and adding a quick bit of lighting can alert another vehicle to you presence.

Bottom line is that we are not visible to most, not respected by most. and smaller than all the others.

Best wishes.

And I totally disagree. I plant myself where I will have the easiest escape route if the cage fails to see me and enters my lane. .....

My two cents.

Stan

Pretty much what I do too.

Also keep an eye on what's going on & if/when necessary position yourself as needed for enhanced conspicuous to others especially cross traffic & left hand turners.

When I see cross traffic & left hand turners I'll some times weave rapidly for enhance conspicuous if I feel it to be necessary.

Sticky_throttle

+1 with Stan. I stay to the side of the lane giving me the best possible escape route.

Assume your invisible. Pick your spots.

Thanks to PAT, I'm very aware of this issue and I can honestly say that my PIAA's mounted over the mirrors with these special brackets makes my bike very visible on others rear view mirror. As far as the rest of the bike, have some reflectors and wear a visible vest.

Ride safe!

ps. Pat, are we working on some brackets for the R1200RT?

I usually stay outta these but on this one, I'm in.

I definately agree on lane positioning to be SEEN. USAF's got it right IMHO. Not only does that positioning make you more visible, it gives you better vision up the road through the slot you'd split if you were in CA. Not only do others see you better, you see trouble better.

As far as maintaining escape routes...right. This positioning also does that 99.44% of the time. On those occasions you need to modify position to increase your envelope or access an out, ok...but the vast majority of multilane riding is most safely done, again IMHO, near the center of the #1 and #2 lane seam.

Now, all that said, I know this DB likes nothing better than to examime ery'lil move to dust, especially when the weather turns nasty and we're not out riding, so let the winter games begin!

thumbsup.gif

wrestleantares

Am I the only one to wonder why you did not do a second head check?

You did all your mirror/head check and then waited til the car was pulled 20 feet past before you pulled over -according to your statement.

May only have been a fraction of a second, but I know if I'm in Charlottee, that's plenty of time for any number of things to happen.

My biggest problem with your statement is a lack of a last second head check. It seemed that you assumed you knew where everything was.

Now, all that said, I know this DB likes nothing better than to examime ery'lil move to dust, especially when the weather turns nasty and we're not out riding, so let the winter games begin!

thumbsup.gif

I think it should be "e'ry li'l" move, not "ery'lil" move. grin.gif

Archived