IGNORED

it is alive

steveg

Hi

I just finished reassembling my 00rt with new top end job and cam chain rail. the bike has been laid up for 3 months waiting for parts and machine work and[ motivation ]got it running last night did a o=o tbs, bled the brakes,have to gunk down the motor to get all the oil and stuff off from the rebuild. the bike had 140,000 miles when the valve blew and alot of you guys told me to just make it into a lawn ornament because of the can chain guides due to the expensive repair. well the total cost was $850.00 for the parts and machine work i did all the labor. hopefully i'll go another 140,000

steve

That is quite inexpensive for all of the work you did. An old reliable friend is worth investing in and keeping, especially when you go so far in such a short span of time.

Did the advise you got on how to replace the rails without splitting the cases work out? Or did you just go ahead and split them after all.

Also did you replace all 8 of the valves? Anything else?

Curious person who may someday have 140,000 miles wants to know...... smile.gif

Stan

Just like I (and any other wrencher) said in the original post

YOU CAN DO IT!

Congrats and ride on!

Wrenchers UNITE!

POWER to the greasy!

Did the advise you got on how to replace the rails without splitting the cases work out? Or did you just go ahead and split them after all.

Also did you replace all 8 of the valves? Anything else?

Curious person who may someday have 140,000 miles wants to know...... smile.gif

Stan

I only replaced the exhaust valves as the machinist said the intakes were in good shape as for the chain rails i did not split the cases, i chopped out the old ones carefully with a chisel while holding them with a long pair of needle nose pliers and then modified the new rails with my grinder by grinding out the rear part of the eyelet to make a slot so it would fit snug over the pin . it actualy snaped into place. installed a new set of rings,valve guide seals and the valve job. so far i put 250 miles on it, i guess time will tell

tony k

i rember that you and a few other tinkerers kind of cheered me on, thats the kind of input needed when your totolly bummed out about your bike beingtrashed

thank you guy's

steve

for the chain rails i did not split the cases, i chopped out the old ones carefully with a chisel while holding them with a long pair of needle nose pliers and then modified the new rails with my grinder by grinding out the rear part of the eyelet to make a slot so it would fit snug over the pin . it actualy snaped into place.

I think I need to think about this..... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

So no comment, yet!!!!

Did you replace all 4 rails?

Stan

Archived