IGNORED

Oil sight glass warning

Bill Neander

I started the bike up this morning and it went"putt-putt-putt" and then it went "chuff-chuff-chuff". Sounded like blowing air from the left side-shut it down and looked;expecting to find a problem with an exhaust bolt. Nope-Oil sight glass on the ground. Put a new one in-they are $26.00! The point is-I was in my driveway-I could have been several states away-I recommend that everyone carry an extra one-just in case. Oh yeah-mileage was 87,726.

It's an easy spare to carry, and easy to install roadside.

That is a little unnerving that is can just pop out.

How do you replace it?

It's been known to happen. The s.g. on my RT started weeping at about 60,000 miles, so I changed it just to be sure. Most people remove it by heating up a screwdriver and poking it through the lense, or heating up the threaded portion of screw and doing the same. Take some gas or other solvent to clean the opening and lightly tap the new one in using a wooden dowel and a mallet.

Uhh, don't forget to drain the oil first. dopeslap.gif

In a pinch, an ordinary pipe plug/freeze plug from a hardware store will serve as a temporary fix.

(I don't remember the size)

764125-plug.jpg

Clive Liddell

Bill,

Can you think of anything in the last few days that "happened". I'm thinking stuck in traffic, balancing throttles, washing engine with ???? etc.

It's been known to happen. The s.g. on my RT started weeping at about 60,000 miles, so I changed it just to be sure.

Ditto.

In the past 5 years this is perhaps the 5th one I've read about. Very rare event. I have carried a spare since the first one was reported...think it was Paul. Kinda like getting hit by a meteorite.

I mistakenly used some carb cleaner to clean the bottom of the engine...I ended up with a frosted sight glass. An easy fix. Wrong cleaning product.

In the past 5 years this is perhaps the 5th one I've read about. Very rare event. I have carried a spare since the first one was reported...think it was Paul. Kinda like getting hit by a meteorite.

Now I gotta worry about getting hit by a meteorite too?

How do you intall the SG on the side of the road? I would think it needs to be pressed in with socket or seal installer tool.

russell_bynum

How do you intall the SG on the side of the road? I would think it needs to be pressed in with socket or seal installer tool.

Marty's right...it is a pretty rare failure. But, like I said, it is easy enough to carry a spare and easy to install.

As for the installl, you just need to tap it in, so you can use a socket (perhaps the spark plug socket? I don't know...I carried an appropriate socket in the toolkit just for this purpose but I don't recall the size.) You can use a rock or something like that as a hammer to press the sight glass in.

I don't think Marty said both occurances necessarily happen at the same time, so the metorite might not be available when the sight glass falls out......"Be Prepared" thumbsup.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

Marty's right...it is a pretty rare failure. But, like I said, it is easy enough to carry a spare and easy to install.

As for the installl, you just need to tap it in, so you can use a socket (perhaps the spark plug socket? I don't know...I carried an appropriate socket in the toolkit just for this purpose but I don't recall the size.) You can use a rock or something like that as a hammer to press the sight glass in.

We're all going to have to Pony Up and start towing Uni-Go's for all the spares.

Spare sight glass, final drive, battery, Hall effect harness, fuel line connectors/o-rings, light bulbs, oil can, fuel filter, Twin Max, tools... eek.gif

I keep my spare bulbs in a lead case...safe from even the stuff that made superman weak. You gotta have a plan. grin.gif

I keep a spare for all my bulbs in the cannister under my Sergeant seat. thumbsup.gif (Thanks Sergeant)

But you'll never believe this. I got hit today by a meteorite with a broken sight glass in it!!! eek.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Now what do I do? confused.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
But you'll never believe this. I got hit today by a meteorite with a broken sight glass in it!!! eek.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

So THAT'S where my sight glass went! crazy.gif

That reminds me of the time one bike in a group had it's headlight broken. Pulled over and found a oil drain bolt inside of it. The group pulled over to find out the bike in front of it lost the bolt , was losing oil and very happy to get it back. TRUE STORY.

I keep my spare bulbs in a lead case...safe from even the stuff that made superman weak. You gotta have a plan. grin.gif

I keep a spare for all my bulbs in the cannister under my Sergeant seat. thumbsup.gif (Thanks Sergeant)

Now what do I do? confused.gif

I have that space under the Sargent filled with my tire repair kit.

Is there a case available that you can put spare bulbs in?

I have to say that this is one of the most enjoyable threads that I've read here. Did you notice that after three pages, there isn't any annymosity? I think it has something to do with adding oil to a meteorite. thumbsup.gif

It is enjoyable isn't it, but regretably you have no grasp of what we are talking about. What can oil sight glasses possibly have to do with meteorites.......think about it....why would you even use those two words in the same sentence. thumbsup.gif

What can oil sight glasses possibly have to do with meteorites

It's really a tiny flying saucer looking for a place to get it's oil changed.... it just looks like a meteorite to fool the natives.

Stan

Blue Beemer Dude
I think it has something to do with adding oil to a meteorite. thumbsup.gif

Well, I hate to ask (I just know I'm going to get flamed) but what kind of oil should I use for my meteorite?

Michael

I have to say that this is one of the most enjoyable threads that I've read here. Did you notice that after three pages, there isn't any annymosity? I think it has something to do with adding oil to a meteorite. thumbsup.gif

Now you opened up a can of worms by spelling animosity wrong.

but what kind of oil should I use for my meteorite

Due to the high temperature of the meteorite, I would go with a quality synthetic. Consult the owner's manual for the proper weight in regards to the ambient temperature in your riding area.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Well, I hate to ask (I just know I'm going to get flamed) but what kind of oil should I use for my meteorite?

Raccoon oil.

Due to the high temperature of the meteorite, I would go with a quality synthetic. Consult the owner's manual for the proper weight in regards to the ambient temperature in your riding area.
Well now you're just filling his head with nonsense. Everyone knows that meteors killed the dinosaurs to create the oil fields they'd need later. A quality Dino-blend is the only thing to use in a meteorite.

crazy.gif

Well now you're just filling his head with nonsense. Everyone knows that meteors killed the dinosaurs to create the oil fields they'd need later. A quality Dino-blend is the only thing to use in a meteorite.

crazy.gif

Finally we are getting somewhere. This must mean that man-made space objects require synthetic oils as no dinosaurs were killed in the race for space. Those oil sight glasses do look like flying saucers when turned on edge. eek.gifeek.gif

crazy.gif

You are misguided my friend. Twas not a meteor that killed the dinosaurs. It was an asteroid or a comet that struck near the Yucatán Peninsula causing the worldwide extinction.

Yeeha! Stephen

crazy.gif

You are misguided my friend. Twas not a meteor that killed the dinosaurs. It was an asteroid or a comet that struck near the Yucatán Peninsula causing the worldwide extinction.

20w50 Peninsula Oil thumbsup.gif

or 10w40 Earth Quaker State wave.gif

Michael

I just googled it. It appears the scientific world recommends the use of SUNflower oil for all your meteoric needs grin.gifgrin.gif

Archived