IGNORED

Lid thickness - 49L Topcase

Tommy_Boy

Anybody know how thick the lid is on the BMW 49-liter topcase?

I want to mount some Bungee Buddies, but don't know if the attached bolt is long enough. eek.gif

Thanks in advance! thumbsup.gif

TB

I would be very very careful trying to put BB in your topcase or side cases. The new cases on the RT are hollow (a shell in a shell so to speak). When you attempt to tighten the BB you can crush or crack the inner and outer portion of the bag. By the way the inner portion of a side case costs about $150-$200 to replace. To make it happen you would really need a spacer between the inner and outer portion. I have taken the inner portion of the side case apart (15 screws or so) but not the topcase. It can be done but it is not like drilling a hole through the bags on the earlier model saddle bags, inserting the BB and then tightening it up. Far from it. However the topcase may be easier. I don't know.

Rocket_Cowboy
I put cargo nets in both saddlebags and 49L trunk. I think there was more clearance for the screws in the corners.

Got any pictures of the cargo nets in the saddlebags? I did something similar on my previous bike, but haven't worked that out yet on this one.

I put cargo nets in both saddlebags and 49L trunk. I think there was more clearance for the screws in the corners.

What type of screws did you use, sheet metal, well nits or other? How long?

Thanks,

Craig

Archived