IGNORED

Anyone done a spline lube on an RT (P)??

SWB

For those of you who have done the spline lube thingy on an RT (P), did you need to remove the rear crash bars and radio box? The directions I have indicate removing the rear pillion seat, but from looking at Ted's spline lube video, I don't see any reason for removing the box and crash bars. It appears that the forward mount on the rear crash bar connect to the frame through the lower side footrest plate. Once that's disconnected, it might be enough for the frame to left clear of the rear end.

I'm only guessing, and hoping. It'll be an extra couple of hours of work if I have to remove & reassemble these RTP pieces (assuming I don't lose half the screws).

Any other "quirks" that you found while doing this procedure on your RT(P). I'm breaking down the bike today to remove the transmission for repair.

Thanks.

I have done 5 so far (clutch replacements). Nothing on the back end needs to get removed. the two main bolts that are attached to the foot plates and taken out but nothing else on the rear crash guards. The only other step that is needed for the RT-Ps is when you get ready to remove the tranny you need to use a jack under the motor to lift the bike off of center stand as you need to loosen it to get the plate off the bottom of the gearbox. A jack from a truck or SUV works great, and that includes taking all the springs off of the center stand and kickstand. Other than that everything is the same. Good Luck!

I have done 5 so far (clutch replacements). Nothing on the back end needs to get removed. the two main bolts that are attached to the foot plates and taken out but nothing else on the rear crash guards. The only other step that is needed for the RT-Ps is when you get ready to remove the tranny you need to use a jack under the motor to lift the bike off of center stand as you need to loosen it to get the plate off the bottom of the gearbox. A jack from a truck or SUV works great, and that includes taking all the springs off of the center stand and kickstand. Other than that everything is the same. Good Luck!

^^^^^

What he said! I've done it, though I did remove the radio box and crash bars. I think I just figured they'd need to go to get the job done. Now thinking back, maybe all that can stay on and just get jacked up with the rear portion of the frame when you go to pull the tranny.

There's 40 minutes saved next time if so!

The only other step that is needed for the RT-Ps is when you get ready to remove the tranny you need to use a jack under the motor to lift the bike off of center stand as you need to loosen it to get the plate off the bottom of the gearbox.

I couldn't quite make out what you meant, but when I got the back tire off and took a look, I saw the plate that supports the lower-front crash bars. It appears to be mounted using the transmission mounting bolts, and looks like it blocks removal of the transmission.

I'll put a jack under the engine before I start removing the transmission, and then figure out how to get that plate off. I got into the job as far as the big *@#$#@! retaining nut on the final drive inside bearing carrier bolts (a.k.a. "rear wheel drive pivot pin"), before I figured out that I don't have a socket large enough to remove that retaining nut. I've got 1000 tools, but there's always one more thing I need. I don't know how big the nut is, but it's larger than 22MM.

I'm R&R'ing the transmission and clutch; the spline lub is just an extra benefit. grin.gif There's been nothing hard in the project so far; just need the right tools, and to use propane gas instead of the *#$#!@#$@ heat gun to remove the locktite-read bearing carriers on the final drive and swing arm.

Of course you could just leave the swingarm in place and remove it with the tranny. It does not need to come off for a spline lube, I left the whole tranny/swingarm/final drive as one piece when I did a clutch change on my R1150RT.

Andy

I don't know how big the nut is, but it's larger than 22MM
It's a 30 mm as I recall.

Thanks! That made my shopping trip after work a whole lot easier. Worked like a charm. thumbsup.gif

Archived