IGNORED

Brake Failure

ARP

As many of you read a couple of weeks ago, I had a severe brake failure that BMW concluded could not have happened the way the assembly or system is designed.

I assumed it was a fluke based on loose parts that while hard to understand would no doubt happen again to someone.

Except I had a nagging doubt because if you looked closely at the area near where the brake lever return spring perches, there was a slight scrape in the silver paint like the spring had been levered off the perch.

I started investigating and with the help of the Police, a local kid has confessed to tampering with it. He got in my garage and used my tools to create this mess. I haven’t spoken to him, but he apparently removed the spring and loosened the pivot bolt.

So with great apologies to BMW, I am glad the mystery is solved and glad to know that it won’t happen again.

Alan--sorry to hear about your troubles. Thank you for the follow-up and clearing up the true cause of the failure. I hope you will go easy on the kid.

I hope you will go easy on the kid.

Why? So he can do this crap again? eek.gif

"Be easy on the kids" might be the mindset us old farts can't agree with.

I'd read that effer the riot act, with his parents in house (ASSUMING he does have 2 parents to be there).

Don't do it again, Johnny....?

That's BS when someone's messing with my sh*t...especially the braking system of a scoot.

We might want to take this discussion to a new thread.

I would want to understand who he is, why he did it before jumping on him. Punishment and consequence handled the right way can move young people back onto the correct path. That is all I am suggesting. I think you read more into the comment than was there.

Without commenting on the original posts - other than to say that I'm glad you figured out the brake mystery and don't have to worry about it - I'd like to say how much I like the way this board calms flame wars. Things that could launch another group for a month are handled almost as if we were people meeting face to face. It is a rare and pleasant thing.

Without commenting on the original posts - other than to say that I'm glad you figured out the brake mystery and don't have to worry about it - I'd like to say how much I like the way this board calms flame wars. Things that could launch another group for a month are handled almost as if we were people meeting face to face. It is a rare and pleasant thing.

Very true and it's a large reason many of are not only still here, but also staunchly defend the intention set out by Cary and David. Alas places like this are becoming rarer and rarer on the web. That said, I believe one of the reasons there are so many excellent contributors here (and the potential flame wars snuff themselves for lack of oxygen or fuel), is that many of us HAVE met face to face and know that we likely will again. It's a small country when you're a SportTouring Junkie and we want to be able to share the ride in some distant part of the world without having to eat too many of our own words. thumbsup.gif
Rocket_Cowboy
That said, I believe one of the reasons there are so many excellent contributors here (and the potential flame wars snuff themselves for lack of oxygen or fuel), is that many of us HAVE met face to face and know that we likely will again. It's a small country when you're a SportTouring Junkie and we want to be able to share the ride in some distant part of the world without having to eat too many of our own words. thumbsup.gif

That's why I need to get out and start meeting you people. I'm new here and only recognize some people here from other online forums. All good people, but I'm ready to get out and ride! smile.gif

Back on topic ... glad you found out the root cause of your problem, so you can rest a little easier knowing it's not a bike design issue.

Back on topic ... glad you found out the root cause of your problem, so you can rest a little easier knowing it's not a bike design issue.

I wouldn't be resting too easy if my neighbor's kid goes around F'ing with the brakes on my bike. I may not lay into the kid, but his parents would sure get an earfull.

Great Idea! thumbsup.gif I'll work on it.

I should have just stated that I was glad this post was made. At least it will keep us RT owners off our backs...checking the brake pedal after all of our rides.

I may not lay into the kid, but his parents would sure get an earfull.
This incident could have ended up with a ride in a hearse. Depending on the kid's age an appearance in juvenile court and a JD petition might be in order.

Alan

More importantly, any individual with more than six brain cells should KNOW that such an action could end up involving a hearse.

My knee jerk reaction is that he just tried to kill you. He's got some 'splainin to do...I'm glad you got the police involved, though I am curious how they figured this one out -- they didn't just go door to door asking people if anyone has been tampering with an m/c lately, have they?

I read all of these posts and am glad you are alive. But I am curious......How did he get in your garage, know where your tools were and than be able to analyze the brake system and do the damage he did?

The Police generally know who the suspects might be and in this case they simply asked around and found like most criminals they don"t keep their mouths closed.

OK, so why you?

Any clue?

Or, was this a random act of unkindness?

And what pray tell made him one of the usual suspects?

Archived