IGNORED

spline lube for 1200ST ?

deejones

I now have 54K on my ST, and the splines have never been lubed. Have any of you guys done this job on your hex head? Do you feel its necessary ? confused.gif

Dee

Do a "search" under the subject, Final Drive lube. If that does not work contact "1bmwfan" Phil Challinor. He did a very nice presentation with pics detailing the entire procedure. It is really easy to do and takes about an hour.

I now have 54K on my ST, and the splines have never been lubed. Have any of you guys done this job on your hex head? Do you feel its necessary ? confused.gif
First of all, you waited until 54k to join the board??? lmao.gif

Impressive number of miles honestly...

Anyway, here's what I've seen (along the same lines as Keith's comment):

Most people with hexheads have done the spline lube with their final drive fluid change. I didn't do one on mine at my 6k but I'll probably lube 'em up next time I do that this winter. Many people on this board recommend the Honda Moly 60 stuff for lubing them.

I'm not sure it's necessary at this point for me, but as long as I've got the splines exposed for the FD fluid swap, it's easy to do.

The rear end was changed at 52K do to a leaking seal. I was there at the 600 mile service and the lubing of the final drive splines. I was really concerned about the input shaft splines, since they have been in question on my R1100SBX.You know that constant thruuuumming. I have replaced clutches and trannies in both our 94 R1100RS, so I'm somewhat familar with the procedure. I was just anxious to know if any of you guys have had a problem with the input splines. Sorry for the improper wording.

Dee just joined the board because he put 54000 miles on his 2005 (6?) ST. It takes time to fire up the ol computer and read everything.

Dee and I have talked on some other sites about how good the R1200ST is. That boy does ride.

The Moto ST 8 hour at Daytona was a great time, very much like David and Goliath. Absolutely blew away the professional teams there to say nothing of the track officials and track announcers.. Chris Hodgson, the owner of San Jose BMW is truly the master and I am very proud as I hired him back in '76 right out of college and working part time at BMW of Denver to be our service manager. thumbsup.gif

The rear end was changed at 52K do to a leaking seal. I was there at the 600 mile service and the lubing of the final drive splines. I was really concerned about the input shaft splines, since they have been in question on my R1100SBX.You know that constant thruuuumming. I have replaced clutches and trannies in both our 94 R1100RS, so I'm somewhat familar with the procedure. I was just anxious to know if any of you guys have had a problem with the input splines. Sorry for the improper wording.

I saw my 12GS splines when they changed the trans seals at 15,000 miles. They were well lubbed and looked great! I assume this is not a problem on the 12 series, though time will tell.

Jim cool.gif

Archived