IGNORED

1150RT seat input

T__

Looking for a little input from the RT owners here if possible.. I know I will never get a consensus but actually just looking for some input here to help me become a little more informed in my quest to find a good fitting & good looking replacement seat for my 1150RT.. It’s getting close to winter storage time for all but my old GoldWing so I can now part with the seat pans long enough to get a proper seat made..

In looking back over the archives it looks like the Russell Day Long would be a good choice if comfort was/were the only criteria.. Problem is; I’m just not that fond of the Russell Day Long look on the RT (it’s still a slight possibility though)..

So that brings up the Rick Mayer and the Bill Mayer Saddles.. OK here is where I would like to here from riders that own one or the other & possibly WHY you chose one over the other..

Any other seats to conceder?________ I am open to all suggestions.. BTW I have been riding all summer with the stock seat using ½” seat jacks in the front & that did help a lot (almost OK but I still keep sliding forward on the seat at times..

Lets here what you are riding on & why.. I’m about 6’ & weigh in about 215# with a 31” in-seam so would really like to here from similar sized riders about their seat choice & why..

Thanks in advance ………Twisty

Thats odd My Ass can't see my daylong saddle but I can feel it smile grin.gif Looks vs function

All Tank Bags are Ugly in my opinion - But wouldn't be without one.

To busy Riding to think about aesthetics over comfort.

Good luck

you and i are close in size. i switched to a sargeant carbonfx for my RT and really like it. also put one on the v-strom i just purchased. during the hot florida summers i ride with an alaskan sheepskin buttpad. hated the bmw comfort seat that came stock.

Have a Sargent on my '99RT since the bike was new and it does everything that I hoped it would. Seats are very individual (as are butts) and it's hard to have one size fits all. Good luck in your search.

Bruce smile.gif

Buy the Russell and use it when you ride........put the stocker on when you aren't riding so the bike looks good grin.gif

OK just kidding, I know that you will use the stock seat to build the new seat. I had a Corbin for 2 years before I bought the Russell; it looked great! The Corbin was more comfortable than the stocker, but it can't compare to a Day Long Saddle when you are putting in 12-16 hour days thumbsup.gif

+1 Sargent - Wide at the back where it counts, good foam, both rider and pillion are cut so that you don't slide forward. I have 10K+ very confortable miles on it.

I'm 6'3", 218, 34" inseam

Thats odd My Ass can't see my daylong saddle but I can feel it smile Looks vs function

I have had DayLongs on my K100RT and my R1150RT....it's a look you learn to love after you get done with a high mileage day.

Add another vote for Russell. I have 5 years and 60,000 miles on my Russell seat. I believe the Russell seat looks good on my 2002 RT. The seat has nice lines, just like the RT!

I've got Bill (Rocky) Mayer seats on both my bikes. The one my RT wasn't made for me (came with the bike), and is very slightly less comfortable than the one on my V-Strom that was custom-fitted (I rode in to BMS in Ojai).

I bought a used Sargent off of this very board and it made a world of difference right off the bat. I left my seat jacks on and my only complaint is it is a little too firm but still leaps and bounds better than the stock comfort seat.

I have a bill mayers seat with heat because so. cal gets alittle cold. I was able to drive in and have it fitted to my butt for comfort.When I was there their was a guy from arizona who came on and a guy from montania told me he road in for the fit and the ride in? Some people ride alot.I like heated seats.

I just purchased a Russell Day-Long for the r1100rt. Fortunately was able to try one out on a GS many years ago and finally bought the seat.

It will be replacing a Sargent. I'm 6'4, 205 lbs and the Day-Long is about 3/4" higher than the sargent.

As stated by earlier posts, seat preference is highly subjecftive. Personally I like very hard seats which is why I will be retiring the Sargent seat. I probably could ride with a 2x6 but even that would be uglier than the Russell. Even I have limits on how ugly I will go.

You may be better with a Bill Mayer or Sargent. Both are easy on the eyes and most riders post very positive results.

Blue Beemer Dude

I have a leather covered brick with the name "Corbin" on the back. The stock "comfort" seat is too soft, and this one is too hard. I only weigh 157 so maybe these seats are designed for the more average 180 lb. American male. I had a Sargent seat for one weekend and didn't care for it. As stated elsewhere, everyone is different and you just have to see what works for you. I also vote with the poster who said (I paraphrase) that function is more important than looks.

If I could get a truly custom-made seat by someone local that could fit my buns to the seat, I would. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone in the Southeast that does this work.

Michael

I have a Sargeant on mine. The missus and I put about 12,000 miles on it this summer. Niether of us had any complaints. It is certainly better than the Corbin I had on my Trumpet. I think the Sargeant looks pretty good as well.

house.jpg

Yankee Dog

I'd have a bunch more money if I didn't desire to acquire the correct seat.............Started off with Sargent, didn't like it, went to a custom Mayer brother, not bad, but wasn't just right. Found a Wunderlich that fits the bill to a tee. Found it used on ebay. Good luck. I've still the Mayer two piece if you're interested. I need the stock passenger seat.

jgp

It looks like this thread has pretty well run it's course.. I would like to thank everyone that gave input here.. It brought to light one seat I hadn’t even considered before & that was the Sargent.. I have still not made a decision on seat purchase so am at the point of finding & sitting on all mentioned above to see if my butt can make the decision my mind can’t..

Thank you all for the input…..Twisty

In looking back over the archives it looks like the Russell Day Long would be a good choice if comfort was/were the only criteria.. Problem is; I’m just not that fond of the Russell Day Long look on the RT (it’s still a slight possibility though)..

So that brings up the Rick Mayer and the Bill Mayer Saddles.. OK here is where I would like to here from riders that own one or the other & possibly WHY you chose one over the other?

80,000 on my Russell Day-Long. One rebuild just 1000 miles ago. What a value. As for its appearance, it is the most beautiful, gorgeous, exotic, luxurious seat my a$$ has ever seen. As to what anyone else thinks of its looks, my a$$ doesn't care, and thus neither do I.

Rocky and Rick Mayer: Both do an excellent job. We send a lot of customers up to Bill Mayer Saddles (now owned and run by son Rocky Mayer) for a ride-in fitting because they're only about 90 miles away. Otherwise, it's a tossup. A Mayer saddle is what you get if you can't afford a Russell. That's not an insult to the Mayer boys as the Russell's Spring Suspension System was designed by their father (Bill Mayer, who sold the rights to Mr. Russell. It is, in fact, high praise that each of them runs second best to something their Dad designed.

...I know I will never get a consensus...

Well, you will get a concensus amongst Day-Long seat owners that they are the best for comfort. Isn't that the reason to replace the stock seat in the first place.

...It’s getting close to winter storage time for all but my old GoldWing ...

So, why does your RT go into hibernation mode? I would check with your dealer and see if he can remove that feature from your RT, that way you can ride it year round. grin.gif

So that brings up the Rick Mayer and the Bill Mayer Saddles.. OK here is where I would like to here from riders that own one or the other & possibly WHY you chose one over the other..

I think your mind may be made up since the Day-Long saddle is only a slight possibility. I have owned all three seats, the Rick Mayer, the Bill Mayer, and two Day-Long saddles. The Russell Day-Long saddle by far has been the most comfortable I have ever owned. I think they look fine as well. Rick Mayer had the worst fitting seat and his customer service does not exist at times. Oh, sure he puts a few small pieces of gel foam imbedded in the seat foam, but essentially, you are getting the same seat back, just looks better. When I did my ride-in, he had 20 year old seats he was rebuilding, and was putting the same old foam back into them. You need to know that you will have the same seat foam with a Rick Mayer, it will only look different, re-shaped.

The condition/quality of the internal parts of the seat are what makes it comfortable. If you are concerned more about looks and plan on looking at it more than riding it, then purchase a seat from Bill (Rocky) Mayer. His seats look nice and he uses his own molded foam pads, fitted to the seat pan. They work well for many riders, not all.

However, if you are most interested in comfort, then by all means get a Day-Long and be done with it.

And, BTW, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm just being realistic with you.

I have a heated Corbin...It's fine for about 45 mins... then the numbness sets in and the pain follows closley behind... that's righ a painful behind! I rode about 3 hours today and I was miserable. Maybe I'll try a different saddle. I don't think that I can endure the rest of the break-in. Jim

Archived