IGNORED

Noise cancelling earbuds

SK_in_AB

Tried using my daughters IPOD on my bike. Found that around town it was OK but above 50mph I had to crank it so loud to be able to hear I was concerned about hearing effects so I went back to earplugs.

Just noticed new Sony (C$150) and Phillips (C$75) ear bud active noise cancelling headphones at Best Buy. These might be great for airplane flights, but I wonder how they would work under helmets? The Sony's have a long attachment arm that looks uncomfortable, the Phillips have wires right to the angled speaker bud.

Anyone have any experience with these?

ShovelStrokeEd

One word. Etymotics. No active noise cancelling, just 30 db or so worth of attenuation of outside noise leaving you able to hear music at a much lower volume. The ER6i model is designed specifically to work with iPod and other fairly low output devices. I use mine all the time and don't have to crank volume to injury causing levels to hear music at even the 80 to 90 mph speeds I normally travel.

One word. Etymotics. No active noise cancelling, just 30 db or so worth of attenuation of outside noise leaving you able to hear music at a much lower volume. The ER6i model is designed specifically to work with iPod and other fairly low output devices. I use mine all the time and don't have to crank volume to injury causing levels to hear music at even the 80 to 90 mph speeds I normally travel.

i use these and they work great with my ipod. the music is fine but i can stil hear what i need to hear around me. complete noise cancellation can be dangerous.

i use these and they work great with my ipod. the music is fine but i can stil hear what i need to hear around me. complete noise cancellation can be dangerous.

I have been flying for years with Bose noise cancelling headsets and I can hear everything that I need to hear without extraneous noise. I have never heard of any brand that suffers from the legend of "complete noise concellation".

Stephen,

If you decided you want to try the Etymotics ER6i, let me know. I'll send you my new set to try. I can't stand them. (I cleaned them up well with alcohol, planning to send them back to where I ordered them.)

They kill my ears, comfort wise. But everybody's ear canals are different, a lot of people praise these.

I must have touchy ears because I've been through Ear Inc.'s custom molded ones from Arizona Al, a pair of KOSS, Sony's, more than a couple different "Walmart specials", and now the ER6i. Only the Ear Inc.'s were comfortable, but they kept quiting playing, so after three $40 repair bills, (and one repair bill on Donna's set) I gave up on them too. I've spent so much money on sound on a bike quests, I could just cry. bncry.gif

So I too am searching for suggestions on what might be out there that is comfortable and will actually keep working.

Ken,

You might take a look @ Al's OTS monitors. The transducers are not in the molds and aren't as likely to quit due to moisture. The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they don't stay on the tubes while you're not using them. I lost the molds on mine this way. Al say's you can attach them w/ silicone to stay on. I'll try that when I get mine replaced.

Look up ArizonaAl on the user list, his email is listed there. His ear speakers can be used w/ an Autocom by using a part 26 or 27, depending on which system you have.

I agree 100% with the Etymotic recommendation. I've had some ER-4p's for about 5 years now and have LOVED them. However, as Ken mentioned, you've gotta have ears that can tolerate a bit of pressure. It took me a while to get used to them, but now I don't really think about it much.

Here's my take on the matter: If you're going to use the headphones exclusively on a bike, look at AzAl's custom ones. If you're going to listen to them on planes (which I do quite a bit) or public transportation of some sort, or if you're just really anal retentive about music, look into something like the Ety's or Shures.

(I've been interested in Shure's PTH - Push To Hear - system. It seems like it'd be kinda cool for both a bike and airplane regardless of which ear bud you went with.)

Now, you could always go ALL out on the music quality thing by getting some Ultimate Ears UE-10's or Sensaphonics 2X-S (that product number says it all right there...), but I'm betting you're not willing to shell out nearly $1k just for headphones...

When I first got my Etymotics I hated them too.

But, I called the company (1-888-Etymotic) and they sent me, at no charge, some of the smaller eartips to try out. They worked for me-and I love the headphones now. If you have not tried that already, you might want to do so.

(I've been interested in Shure's PTH - Push To Hear - system. It seems like it'd be kinda cool for both a bike and airplane regardless of which ear bud you went with.)

Let me make sure I have this right... I buy a noise blockindg headphone like the Ety or Shure. Next I buy the Shure PTH device with a microphone so I can mix in all the noise I'm trying to block? lmao.gif

Oh, now I get it, I dangle the PTH mic outside my jacket and when ever I'm stopped and trying to hold a conversation I simply PTH instead of taking off the helmet and removing the earphones... Genius! That is if it really works...

Greg

Let me make sure I have this right... I buy a noise blockindg headphone like the Ety or Shure. Next I buy the Shure PTH device with a microphone so I can mix in all the noise I'm trying to block? lmao.gif

Oh, now I get it, I dangle the PTH mic outside my jacket and when ever I'm stopped and trying to hold a conversation I simply PTH instead of taking off the helmet and removing the earphones... Genius! That is if it really works...

I've found myself wondering recently if anyone sold such a thing, as there are times I'd like to hear better when I'm geared up. So, I'm also interested in knowing if it really works.

Hijack avoidance content: +1 for the Etymotics ER6i. Love 'em.

Whereas I'm sure Etymotics are the cat's pajamas, how 'bout answering the man's original question about Sony and Phillips noise cancelling earbuds?

Does anybody have direct personal experience with the Phillips or Sony? Could be, these are as good or better than the vaunted Etys. So, who has tried them?

I don't ride with my ipod but use my etymotics as noise canceling earplugs. They work much better than anything else I've tried. For anyone interested in earplugs alone they sell for fifteen dollars at Rider Wearhouse (Aerostich).

I have the Shure E500PTH ear speakers (don't use them on the bike, have Al's for that) that I use at home and on airplanes. The PTH feature does, indeed work as you described and is a nice feature. The PTH module is "in line" and can be taken out of the system when you have no need "to be interrupted." For ordering that extra pillow, or a scotch on the rocks on the airplane, it sure beats having to pull a speaker out of your ear! grin.gif

E500's are too "spendy" to risk messing them up on the bike, and wouldn't be nearly as comfortable under a helmet as Al's custom jobbers w/ the acoustic tubing and no wires going under the helmet.

Whereas I'm sure Etymotics are the cat's pajamas, how 'bout answering the man's original question about Sony and Phillips noise cancelling earbuds?

Does anybody have direct personal experience with the Phillips or Sony? Could be, these are as good or better than the vaunted Etys. So, who has tried them?

My bad!dopeslap.gif I have the Phillips. Poor sound quality, couldn't get them to work well on the bike, and so-so effectiveness on airplanes. Now have both Shure's and the Er6i's and prefer both of these over the Phillips.

Greg

pedro cerveza

Slight hijack...

I've had a pair of Er6i's for about a year or so. They recently deveveloped in intermittent short in one of the earpieces. Considering the abuse they get I'm surprised they lasted this long. I called Etymotic to inquire about getting them repaired. I explained to the nice customer service lady that I understand they are no longer under warrantee, but only by a few months, and that I'd like to get them repaired. She tells me that they don't repair them, just replace them & that Etymotic would be happy to replace mine for free if I'll just send the old ones back.

thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

A hint to all who use the ER6 earbuds to keep from having the same problem as Pedro. Keep the wires inside your jacket instead of out and flapping in the breeze. Make sure you leave a little loop at the neck so you can turn your head without straining the cords and never remove them by the cords, grasp the body instead. Hard won knowledge.

Well, since this has become an Etymotic thread, I'll just insert my own story about their customer service(that's coming to a close when FedEx arrives tomorrow). As I mentioned, I've had ER-4p's for about 6 years or so. So, when I bought them, $299 was a good price for them (now they can be had for about $170 shipped if you look around). I made the mistake last week of riding about 5 blocks (restaurant to gas station) with them just dangling and I guess I caught the left one on something. When I put them back in, there was a bad short in the left ear - no sound unless I moved the wire around a lot.

So, I sent them back to Etymotic for new cables (you can't just have them ship new cables to you.)

When all was said and done, they charged me $50 for the new cables (+ shipping both directions). The CS rep just kind of added an "oh, by the way" point when after I had given him my CC number for payment. He said, "The tech noticed that your [i can't remember what he said - attenuators maybe?] were cracking, so he replaced those too. So basically you're getting a completely new headset." They didn't charge me any more - just the $50 for the cable.

Now, I would have been completely satisfied had these headphones died on me - they've lived a good life. I've never had a pair of headphones last more than two years of usage before these. These have actually been with me to probably 20 countries and 35 states. I have really used (and at times abused) them.

Here's hoping for another 6+ years. thumbsup.gif

I just recently received a set of attenuating ear plugs from www.cep-usa.com. They apparently make headsets for military helicopter pilots, etc. It came with a 3.5 mm stereo plug and works great with my ipod on the bike at high speed. I plan to use it with an autocomm in the future.

The whole thing was 89.00 plus s&h. There is no molded plugs-just replaceable foam tips that screw onto the ends of the wire. Very easy to use and very quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to ask for the stereo earphones for use on a motorcycle (a.k.a., the US Navy type that fit in a smaller helmet ear space -- seems Navy helmets fit tighter than Army ones).

Thanks to all who posted in response to my original question on earbuds. Looks like I'll have to buck up for the better quality ones to be happy.

You need to ask for the stereo earphones for use on a motorcycle (a.k.a., the US Navy type that fit in a smaller helmet ear space -- seems Navy helmets fit tighter than Army ones).

I can hear some banter coming on the final comment above! lmao.gif

Wait a minute, wait a minute, is the thread over? Hear is one more vote for the etymotic 6i. Noise canceling headphones cancel about 10db the 6i block out about 30db. Amazon.com about $65.

I use Westone UM1 in-ear musician's monitors. They cost about $110 on eBay, and I love them. The only down side I've found is a lack of bass, which might be solved by going to the UM2 system but at more than twice the price.

The UM1s come with two different sizes of closed cell foam inserts. I can wear either without issue, though my wife doesn't like them - she said they hurt her ears.

I found that wearing ear plugs or in-ear monitors takes some getting used to. I started sleeping with ear plugs some time ago and noticed that they made my ear canals feel sore for the first week or so, but that went away. I think if the irritation is minor it just takes natural toughening of the skin (calluses?) to solve the problem.

Last week I did a Five-Corners ride of Georgia, 1300 miles in two days. I wore the UM1s the whole trip and had no problems at all. With the noise reduction and entertaiment they provide (and I have no affiliation with Westone), they are single best farkel I've bought.

here's another vote for ER6's HOWEVER I just sent them back to be serviced. I've been having a tough time getting them in my ears so I add lubercation. As in vaseline ect. Well I think the 'lubercation' is fouling the earbuds any suggestions?

Are wearing ear plugs, earbuds, leagal while riding? Do not get me wrong I do wear a pair, "sure E2" love them. Think they preform better than even the earplugs. But are they legal?.

clap.gif

Wait a minute, wait a minute, is the thread over? Hear is one more vote for the etymotic 6i. Noise canceling headphones cancel about 10db the 6i block out about 30db. Amazon.com about $65.

Same thing here.. I just LOVE them and was really surprised at how much they block out.

It would be nice if they were a little smaller since sometimes I work them loose on long rides adjusting my helmet but I can live with it.

thumbsup.gif

I had written a post a while back about making a set of combination earplug and headphones using a set of EAR yellow industrial earplugs, combined with a set of Koss "Earbud" headphones. I paid $15 for the headphones and $3 for the earplugs. The Koss headphones came with several sizes of foam insert designed to go over the plastic stalks, and none of them fit my ears very well, so I hit upon the idea of using EAR brand earplugs, which are used in industrial environments. I simply pulled the earplugs off the cord that holds them together, used a drill bit to run the resulting opening out to the end of the earplug, and put them on the end of the plastic headphone stalk. The earplugs completely seal in my ears and the headphones sound quality is very good. Granted, they may not be the sonic quality of the higher end stuff, but at 18 bucks total, you're not risking alot of capital either. Buy a set of the earplugs for a few bucks, if they fit okay, the headphones will work for you. I have been using them for five years with no problems.

Photo attached -

Phil B.

773460-EarplugHeadphones.JPG.c8cdd135bf07b22e1f68549a4578f2c3.JPG

I do the same as quoted above. Tip: just heat up a nail and run it through the foam ear plug. Different ear plugs can be used and they can be cut down for an assortment of fits.

BTW: I have many types of ear plugs if anyone is interested.

Archived