IGNORED

Starcom 1 Advance - Good/Bad/OK?

LeaninLouie

Hi All, After looking at all of the posts for the last year under a search for Starcom 1 advance, I am a little perplexed that no one has mentioned it except one lady whose husband has one. Why the blaring lack of comments?javascript:void(0)confused.gif

I am in the market for a communications system for my 1150RT, the usual, music, 2 up comm. occasional phone, and maybe in the future a GPS. Please post any and all comments.

Starcom is a good system I hear but...

Point 1 - a communications set-up is a multi-bike investment. I tend move the main control unit from one bike to the next - and the helmet equipment from one helmet to the next - and leave the relatively inexpensive bike wiring in place.

Point 2 - since it is a long term investment, why not go for the best-supported system in the USA - Autocom.

I know there are more than just one comment. Within the past couple of months I asked about intercom systems and that was one on my list.

As a reference point, I will say that there are some very positive comments on the autocom unit here and on other boards. While not nearly as many comments are available for the Baehr units, people also seem to love them. As far as I can tell people who own the Starcom also love them.

Now, if everybody loves them which is better? I have also observed that much like the choice in bikes (or computers), this is a very subjective subject. In the ideal world you would be able to test out each intercom, but there are very few starcom and baehr retailers, so you end up buying direct from them or through one of the many internet retailers. Autocom retailers seem to be much more plentiful, which could come in quite handy.

All this said, after my search, I found a Baehr unit on the used market that hadn't ever been installed, but once I added up all the parts I needed to get it on my 04 RT, I decided the cost of entry was too high. I tested the autocom at my local dealer and it seemed to work, but I really wasn't impressed with the audio quality from the mic and that's one of the main reasons you get one. It could have been the setup of the unit at the dealer, but it was enough to make me think twice about the autocom unit. Unfortunately, there were no discounts or ways to test the starcom unit. But, once I added up the cost of the autocom vs. the starcom with equivalent packages, the starcom was less expensive and starcom would allow me to return the unit if I wasn't happy with it. That was enough for me to decide to pull the trigger and order the starcom. I have been very pleased with it so far. The couple of times I had issues, it was because either I didn't fully read the instructions (find a switched power source if you buy the bluetooth option), or something a simply adjustment on the unit itself cleared right up. They support at starcom via email has been wonderful.

Wayne

I tested the autocom at my local dealer and it seemed to work, but I really wasn't impressed with the audio quality from the mic and that's one of the main reasons you get one. It could have been the setup of the unit at the dealer, but it was enough to make me think twice about the autocom unit.

Wayne

If you used one of the demonstration headsets, it is likely that it was in poor shape. The quality from my microphone is stunning, and I recently checked that my son could hear me loud and clear on the cellphone. Did you tell the dealer about your misgivings?

I would have done the same as you after an unsucessful test and it's great that you're pleased with the Starcom.

In discussing Starcom, Baehr and Autocom, I think it can truly be said that none of these is a bad comm system. Some are just better than others.

I have a strong affinity for Autocom. I work for a dealership and the way Autocom does exactly what it says, and does it for years, brings our customers a level of satisfaction second to none. Also, it is by far the most available and best-supported system on the market. It also has a warranty-claim ratio of less than one-tenth of one percent, which is absolutely astounding. Imagine if a motorcycle manufacturer had those kinds of numbers. We'd be singing its praises to high heaven.

However, if you choose one of the others (Starcom is built to be less expensive, Baehr is more expensive although not more features or quality, just different and the main box is a LOT bigger) you will likely find a capable system. As I said, among those three brands, you can't make a really bad decision. But you can make a better one.

John Ranalletta

It also has a warranty-claim ratio of less than one-tenth of one percent, which is absolutely astounding. Imagine if a motorcycle manufacturer had those kinds of numbers.
That small fraction would start a web forum trashing the bike and initiate a class action against the manufacturer.

BTW, my Autocom has worked flawlessly for over 5 years.

Aluminum_Butt
Hi All, After looking at all of the posts for the last year under a search for Starcom 1 advance, I am a little perplexed that no one has mentioned it except one lady whose husband has one. Why the blaring lack of comments? confused.gif

I am in the market for a communications system for my 1150RT, the usual, music, 2 up comm. occasional phone, and maybe in the future a GPS. Please post any and all comments.

One reason that you're not seeing much on it, is that it's relatively new...the Advance was released this summer.

I'm a happy owner of an original Starcom. I've posted a number of times that I'm very satisfied with that system. I use it for GPS, V1, intercom, bike-to-bike, cell phone, and satellite radio.

My wife wanted a system for her bike, so I got her a Starcom Advance. I'm very happy with that, as well. We're using it for bike-to-bike, and she has her Ipod hooked up to it. The sound quality from the Ipod through the helmet speakers is excellent.

The advance unit is quite a bit smaller than the original. The tradeoff is that there are no longer jacks in the unit where you plug in the headset, instead there are 12" or so cables exiting the unit, and the headset cables plug in to those. Not a big deal, but it makes for a slightly less clean install.

The advance unit, with headset, PTT cable, and radio cable ran me about $300.

Not a big deal, but it makes for a slightly less clean install.
Yep, I was told that the "fit kit" was the way to go, but as memory serves that added another $90 or so (maybe with the advance the leads would be long enough to reach the $27 bracket only?)... Enough to balance things out price wise. So many options it just has me going round and round...

ps. I was also given this link as a "best price I found."

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=STAR1

Aluminum_Butt
Not a big deal, but it makes for a slightly less clean install.
Yep, I was told that the "fit kit" was the way to go, but as memory serves that added another $90 or so (maybe with the advance the leads would be long enough to reach the $27 bracket only?)... Enough to balance things out price wise. So many options it just has me going round and round...

ps. I was also given this link as a "best price I found."

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=STAR1

Without looking it up, I'm assuming the "fit kit" is the bulkhead connector. I think that would still be required. Even if the cables coming out of the unit were long enough (they aren't for my application), there's still nothing on the connector to lock it into the bulkhead fitting.

I do have one of the bulkhead connectors for my (driver's) headset, and it's worth the money IMHO.

CA Sport Touring is where I've bought my Starcom stuff. They're OK to deal with, but I'd recommend ordering over the phone. I've had issues with their website ordering system.

I don't have the Advance unit but the older model. The only complaint I have is that the headphone/mic plug-ins seem fragile. I have had to replace two after one year of use. Bent pins on the male side and plastic missing on the female side. My wife's plug-in just simply would not fit together any more. Of course, I thought it was her fault until I tried it for myself! I couldn't find anything wrong with it other than I just couldn't push it together. eek.gif

Yeah I noticed that the headset connectors are the mini din type. I have computer and security experience with them and they are considerably more fragile than the standard din conector but I am not seeing that as a $150 to $200 disavantage over the J&M or the Autocom options. I know that all of the connectors have problems given enough time. smile.gif

Archived