IGNORED

Better H3 bulbs?

Woodie

I've got some foglights installed w/ H3 bulbs. They burned out, so I replaced them. <7 days later, they're *both* dead AGAIN! eek.gif

Is there a brand or type which tolerates vibration and cold better?

Current ones were from Walmart, no obvious brand. Marking H312V55W*

TIA

I get about 15K miles out of the Osram Super H3 as my hi beam. You can get them from California Sport Touring. (No relationship or interest...)

I get about 15K miles out of the Osram Super H3 as my hi beam. You can get them from California Sport Touring. (No relationship or interest...)
What power of bulb is it 55w?

H3 bulbs are quite stout. You should not be burning them out.

This sounds more like a voltage spike issue or something very wrong in your wiring. Check over your power source carefully or quite possibly your mounting connection. Though again they do pretty good with vibration too.

55w = 55 watt.

Wiring. Through a relay, from the #2 battery. (old, weakish battery).

Wiring seems pretty solid, although the switch on the trigger terminal is a bit sketchy.

Mounts: Solid mounts, to the front crashbars. Matter of fact, you can see one in my post in this thread.

I think I'm going to try a Philips or Osram bulb, and see how that goes. The left light is still working, but the right is out. I suppose it's possible I touched the right bulb, and was more careful with the left?

Woodie,

I blew one of my H3 bulbs when I had the fog lights on when I started the bike. I believe I wired my bike, just like yours, through the connectors in the RTP glove box.

I know the RTP wiring to the glove box are only hot when the bike is running. I assume that when the bike is started, the alternator may send too much juice to the bulbs? (I’m guessing.) That is the only thing I can think of that may have that caused it to blow.

For now, until the next time it blows, I start my bike without any lights on to see how long they will last.

I have a little sticker next to the Tachometer to help remind me... "Lights?"

Hope you find a solution.

Hmmm. I've never actually noticed when they go, just that one is dark the next time I turn it on.

Usually, I start the bike w/ NO lights on at all.

Archived