IGNORED

Gearbox Oil

A357man

Has anyone changed their gearbox oil prior to 40,000 or 2 years? What did you fill it back up with and were there any problems? I am considering doing mine at 8,000 and using synth.

Thanks

I changed my transmission oil at around 13,000 when I changed out my final-drive fluid. It was a piece of cake; much easier than changing the engine oil.

I used Mobil 1(full-synthetic)75w140 at $15/quart. I don't even want to know what BMW charges for a quart of their stuff.

I had my independent BMW tech change mine after 6 months and 21,500 kms (13,300 miles). He used 80W90 gear oil, and charged me $12 CDN for the fluid. It was pretty straightforward, but then I wasn't doing it.

Has anyone changed their gearbox oil prior to 40,000 or 2 years? What did you fill it back up with and were there any problems? I am considering doing mine at 8,000 and using synth.

Synthetic or not, makes very little difference, especially since most "synthetic" oils on the market today are actually derived from "dino" feedstock (after a Mobil-vs-Castrol court case a few years ago, it was ruled that the term "synthetic" had no specific meaning).

As for "what", all you need to do is consult your owners manual. Standard 80W-90 GL5 Hypoid oil is usually what is called for, and that is available inexpensively anywhere. Some of the so-called "synthetics" (most of which really are not) may have a wider viscosity range, which may be beneficial when the bike is cold, or you are riding in extremes of temperature, but my suggestion is that none of us as the technical expertise to try second-guessing the factory.

As for how easy is it to do, it is trivial. After all, how hard can it be to remove and replace 2 bolts?

After all, how hard can it be to remove and replace 2 bolts?

lmao.gifWhile I'm sure you're right, this line has started as many good stories as "First we had a couple of beers ..."

As for how easy is it to do, it is trivial. After all, how hard can it be to remove and replace 2 bolts?

Actually, on an RT you need to remove/replace the tupperware from the right side of the bike.

First, to respond to the post: I put Amsoil 75/140 in mine at 6k (because that's what Cheechoo had and graciously offered). From what I've seen, it's comparably priced to the BMW stuff - give or take.

As 1bmwfan is quick to remind you (me), a good rule of thumb is to make sure that you remove the top bolt FIRST. If you can't get the top bolt out, you have no business removing the bottom bolt. Your bike will become useless if you can't fill the tranny again once you've drained it.

Archived