IGNORED

Conti Road Attack

Lawman

My rear Conti Road Attack will not hold correct tire pressure. I've been unable to detect where the leak is with soapy water. I've never had this problem before and this is the first time I've used this tire. Anyone else experienced this problem? confused.gif What's the highest pressure I can safely run on the rear for one up touring? Thanks..

This is more likely to be the valve than the tyre, I would check there first - don't forget the body of the valve stem and where it enters the rim.

If the tyre pressure is dropping fast it should show up somewhere.

Failing this, try and get the tyre exchanged under its warranty.

FWIW, I am on my second set of Conti road attacks and will fit them again in the spring.

The UK Conti distributors reccommend 36 front, 42 rear.

Andy

No detectable leak at valve stem. Pressure goes from 43 p.s.i. to 39 p.s.i. in 36 - 40 hours.

I had the same kind of drop in my new Metzler 880s. After about 2500 miles they stopped losing air. It was never a safety issue since it lost steadily and I would fill them every day or two. It was a pain though. Never found out why it happened.

I have seen chronic leaking tires before and it drove me crazy. It turned out to be a tiny defect in the wheel that allowed air to escape. Pressure the tire to about 50 lbs, and soap up the entire wheel along with the tire, be patient and watch for bubbles.

Definitely spend some time around the valve. Check the valve core and make sure it is seated all the way.

A lot of times, the problem can be traced back to the rim tire contact point. A lot of times, there is some old tire shrapnel left at this contact point.

Take it back in and have them pull the tire and clean the rim contact point thoroughly and then remount after inspecting the tire.

If the air loss remains, have the tire replaced under warranty.

Well, FWIW, I just put my first set of Road Attacks on my bike and found that I had the same problem with both tires. I just figured it was because I didn't properly seat the beads or something similar since it was my first tire change. I had to add air every day to both tires for days after I put them one.

However, I rode over to the N. Cali TD last weekend (1350 or so miles RT) and checked the tires at every gas stop. I was especially worried due to the big temperature swings (22F to 80F in a few hours) as well as altitude changes.

I was totally shocked when I got to Phil's house and the cooled tire pressure was EXACTLY the same as when I left. Even more surprising was when I arrived home again and found much the same thing (perhaps .5 psi difference).

I don't have a good explanation of why that happened, but it did.

Matt,

How is your impression of the wear now you have made the trip?

Ant wet weather impressions?

Oh, and the air loss fix after getting here was just an added bonus of the weekend! No charge! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Well, this is perhaps a minor hijack (but not according to the subject...) so here goes:

I LOVE these tires. I was a bit timid/tentative on them before for the simple reason that I was still having a hard time believing that I put them on myself...

Anyway, keep in mind, I was coming from Pilot Roads with 9800 miles on them, so they were kinda squared off...

I'd heard the phrase "the bike just falls over in turns" but I didn't understand that until now. They are great feeling tires.

I know I won't get the life out of these tires that I got from the Pilot Roads, but like I said, they do feel quite a bit like your Dunlops did to me, and we know they'll last longer than those. So, I guess I'll probably get somewhere in the 6-7k range. It feels weird to know that I just used maybe 1/5 of the tire life on that trip.eek.gif

I haven't hit any wet weather to test impressions there.

Considering how spot on the other "reviews" of the Road Attacks have been on this site (as Boffin put it (roughly): "the best tyre [he's] ever put on a bike"), I'm guessing the wet traction is going to be really good too.

I installed a set of Pilot Roads once and one of the tires leaked a tiny bit of air.

Turns out one of those little rubber bits from the mold got jammed between the tire and the bead seat, and air was leaking out from around it. Had to deflate the tire and re-seat the bead in that area (to get the rubber bit out) and all was good.

I found my leak! clap.gif

The tiniest nail I have ever seen smack dab in the middle..Actually more like a staple..With only 600 miles on the tire I took it to a tire repair shop and had a patch put on from the inside..I know, I know, I'm the only one here that would not buy a new tire but it does not seem like a safety risk to me since the hole was so small..Any opiniions? Thanks...

The tiniest nail I have ever seen smack dab in the middle..Actually more like a staple..With only 600 miles on the tire I took it to a tire repair shop and had a patch put on from the inside..I know, I know, I'm the only one here that would not buy a new tire but it does not seem like a safety risk to me since the hole was so small..Any opiniions? Thanks...

I won't give you my opinion because I'm not sure I have one. I asked a similar question here and got lots of answers on both sides of the equation.

The fact is, it's a risk. It could work fine, it could fail. It's all up to you how much of a risk that you feel it is and how much of a risk that you're willing to take.

... but it does not seem like a safety risk to me since the hole was so small..Any opiniions? Thanks...

Small hole, little chance of patch failing, slow leak if the patch does fail. Ya pay yer $$$ or ya take yer chances. tongue.gif

Greg

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Any opiniions? Thanks...

Sure. I'm gonna get another set when the tires I have wear out. I would have a Conti Attack on the rear if I could have found one on short notice in SF when I picked up six screws and still needed to get home the next morning. BTW mixing a Conti Attack front (at 5k) with a Z6 rear has no apparent handling concerns. I also think they'll go at least as far as the Pilot Road.

When you plug a tire, you damage it further by reaming the hole and jamming a big ole piece of string or rubber in there. Patching it just covers the leak from the inside. One is for emergencies and pretty much (you asked for opinions, right?) forces you to replace the tire when you get where you're going, and the other is a long term solution, especially when the offense to your air pressure is a staple or other very small object that would most likely cause minimal tire damage.

Archived