IGNORED

Make your intentions clear

JoeV

I was recently riding on unfamiliar roads.

I had the route numbers written on a sheet of paper on the top of my tank bag.

I was looking for a left hand turn. I knew it was coming but was not sure exactly where.

The road was 1 lane in each direction with very wide breakdown lanes.

As I approached a sweeping left bend in the road I noticed a left turn only lane was available up ahead.

I maintained my course in the middle of the road while I was attempting to read the road signs to determine if this was the left turn I was looking for.

Just as I approached the start of the left turn only lane I realized this was not my left turn so I stated to move into the right lane.

In the mean time the car behind me had started to pass me on the right. They must have thought I was going to take the left turn because I was staying int he middle of the road. The drive also had to go into the breakdown lane to start passing me on the left because they started to pass before the left turn only lane was available.

I was lucky in that I checked my blind spot to see a large SUV a foot to my right and the shocked look on the drivers face as we both realized what was happening.

Luckily we did not collide and we drove away safely.

What I have learned from this is it is better to pick a course, make that decision clear to all around me by clearly positioning my motorcycle on the road.

It's not a big deal to have to turn around to take a missed turn. It is a big deal to get into a crash with another driver that miss interpreted your intension.

Hope sharing this story helps folks stay safe.

Joe V.

Excellent point. When I first started riding seriously (about 40 years ago incidentally), I was very timid, going slowly along the right side of the road. I quickly learned that this just invited cars to ignore you and give you no right of way. Now I try to always maintain a position that makes it clear to other vehicles that there is no room for them near me. That early experience was also what makes me very leary of bicycle riding in traffic.

thumbsup.gif also alway's assume that the cage wants to hurt you that way you are ready for anything. Also remember that driver's tend to turn there heads slightly before they turn so watching them like this may help you know what is going on in their mind.
Sticky_throttle
also alway's assume that the cage wants to hurt you that way you are ready for anything. Also remember that driver's tend to turn there heads slightly before they turn so watching them like this may help you know what is going on in their mind.

Also assume the cage doesn't see you.

Archived