IGNORED

Glove/Radio box clean-up

blaisew

One of my favorite things about the 96 RT is the spacious locked storage in the fairing. In my 2002RT all of that space is taken up with a rack for a radio, which I don't, and won't, have. Has anyone tried stripping all of that stuff out of the box to make room for other items. Better yet, why not remove the new box and replace it with an old style box which has a wider opening at the top. I guess the gasket might be different and that would need to be checked. Someone out there has the answer!

I don't know. I have a battery in mine. blush.gif

If you want to get rid of the radio mounting/wiring harness, LMK--I'll take it off your hands.

Woodie, that's probably a deal. I'm going to pull the left fairing off of both my 96 and 02 at the same time so that I can compare the boxes. In any case, if the radio rack and wiring can come out easily you can have them for the postage. 'Not sure what to do with the antenna hole so I may keep the antenna in place unless I find a neat clean way to cover the opening.

I removed my radio and mounting hardware leaving just the plastic box. Duct tape on both sides of the cable port prevents water intrusion, or you can pony up $90 for a box without the hole. Either way, the opening is big enough to get caps, straps and cameras in without any issues.

Yes, a lot of us have done it, and it is a big improvement. Take the box out, remove the tape around the top and bottom, then strip out all the "stuff" including the wiring. Silicon up the holes where the wires came into it. Use the plastic nuts from the old radio frame, turned around, to screw the top back to the bottom. Tape the seam back up, reinstall it, and you will have a much improved box for $0!

Just do it... It's quite simple and involves no more effort than removing your tupperware next TBS sync time. I removed mine when I needed to add lites and power for my GPS.

Here's a picture:

gps6.jpg

Removing the radio junk increases the usable space in there by 2x.

Mike O

I have a better solution. Go to the Beemer Boneyard and buy this for $20.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/46632313627.html

It is a direct bolt in replacement for your radio box and it will hold more than your radio box even with your bracket removed.

Remove the antenna and speaker while you are at it. I sold the box, bracket, harness and antenna for $120 shipped. Much cheaper than the Boneyard but still a nice profit for me.

The speakers are going up for sale next.

Yankee Dog

I have a better solution. Go to the Beemer Boneyard and buy this for $20.

If that's the same as an 1150RT radio box (and I think it is) why would someone buy that for $20, when they'd have to rip the SAME thing out of their existing bike to replace it with that?

Save the $20.

Mike O

You may be right, but I'd have to see it. I can't believe it's that much larger to justify buying a used one to replace the existing one and then dealing with selling the slightly smaller used one?

To each his own, (and I'm certain someone else will correct me that it's all of 8 cubic centimeters larger. dopeslap.gif)

Mike O

Looks to me like maybe the one from the Boneyard doesn't have a big hole in the front of it that you have to seal somehow. When I took my radio out, I was trying to keep the harness intact for possible later sale, and there was no way at all that harness was coming out of the rubber plug. So I duct-taped the hole.

On mine, there was a split in the rubber plug from the edge to the hole the harness wires ran through. Just took out the plug, pulled the wires, filled the hole with silicone, and put the plug back. Removed the speakers and enclosures which relieved the bike of about 5 - 7 pounds of upper weight. Put a 12 volt outlet in the box for charging my cell phone or whatever. Kept the radio mounting frame, etc. in case I sell the bike someday to an individual who wants a radio. Just follow the instructions by Ken H. above.

Al

I don't know. I have a battery in mine. blush.gif

If you want to get rid of the radio mounting/wiring harness, LMK--I'll take it off your hands.

Woodie - If you need help installing it let me know grin.gif

Chugger

On my '02 RT I left it intact and made a cardboard insert for the bottom it so small things wouldn't get "lost". A lot fits in the box the way it is and I don't see a need to take it apart and want to leave it stock in case I sell the bike someday. I didn't think I get used to the small size after the large box on my K75RT but I have.

It does hold a lot the way it is, I have sunglasses, EZPass, pair of silver liner gloves, small cable wire lock, hairbrush, lip balm, sunscreen, reading glasses.

Try it the way it is you might find it's just fine.

It looks like your box is similar at the top to the radio box on my 1150, and is very different from my 96 RT. After looking at the web site, I don't think my old style box will fit in the 2002, but then I've yet to pull the left tupperware on both bikes. One of the things I like about the 96 box is that is is very wide at the top and uses up most of the available space between the tank/engine and side panel. I typically put a LOT of stuff in there, and it just won't be possible with the narrower new box. 'Think I'll wait until all of the parts are in my hands to determine what to do.

am I the only one that enjoys my radio on my RT????? I have only had my bike for a week now but I already find my self listening to it around town all the time. I havent done any backroad rides yet with it but even if its only good for around town, its worth it to me. Plus the antenna on the front makes the RT look even better to me. I may be strange to all of you but I like my stereo. I may consider putting better speakers on the dash but that will be about it. I may use my ipod and helmet speakers on long road trips. Do the newer 1150RT's have a CD player? I wouldnt mind changing the deck to be a CD player with an ipod port. Does anyone know of a cool ipod mounting bracket for the RT? thumbsup.gif

Archived