IGNORED

BMR Co-Pilot Shelf for R1200RT?

Rocket_Cowboy

Rocket_Cowboy

Anyone using the BMR shelf on the R12RT?

I'm trying to locate a shelf for things like my V1, SmarTire display, etc ... and while I learned about the BMR shelf through some posts about it on 1150s, a search in the Hexhead forum didn't turn up anything.

Specifically, I'm curious how this shelf attachs to the bike? I've seen mounts like the Touratech bracket that require some drilling into the fairing ... I'd like to avoid that if it's possible to still get a study mount without altering the fairing.

What say the gurus?

I'm happy with my BMR. No drilling required, it uses existing holes and acts like a visor for the instrument panel. It's solid - fit and finish are top quality I've mounted Sirius, GPS and radar detector.

Anyone using the BMR shelf on the R12RT?

I'm trying to locate a shelf for things like my V1, SmarTire display, etc ... and while I learned about the BMR shelf through some posts about it on 1150s, a search in the Hexhead forum didn't turn up anything.

Specifically, I'm curious how this shelf attachs to the bike? I've seen mounts like the Touratech bracket that require some drilling into the fairing ... I'd like to avoid that if it's possible to still get a study mount without altering the fairing.

What say the gurus?

A big brown truck dropped one off at the office at the same time I was trading the '05 RT. So I'll have one for sale soon. I got it from Bob's BMW.

MMMM, I just found the RCU shelf off of my '97 RT, I need to put that on the flemarket too.

Best,

Rocket_Cowboy
A big brown truck dropped one off at the office at the same time I was trading the '05 RT. So I'll have one for sale soon. I got it from Bob's BMW.

MMMM, I just found the RCU shelf off of my '97 RT, I need to put that on the flemarket too.

See ... I found the RCU shelf online as well, but it didn't look like it would be as stable since it appeared in the pictures that it only mounts via two screws on the top of the dash. Did the RCU work well on your old RT?

See ... I found the RCU shelf online as well, but it didn't look like it would be as stable since it appeared in the pictures that it only mounts via two screws on the top of the dash. Did the RCU work well on your old RT?

It worked great. I had a variety of GPS's on it with the heavyist being an orginal Street Pilot. I always had the V-1 on it also. Two thumbs up on it. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Best,

I have been using one for the last 27,000 miles and it has worked perfectly. I have found it to be very stable even when I found myself airborne on the Alaska Hwy after hitting some 2 ft frost heaves at speed. thumbsup.gif

763139-IMG_0061.JPG.517d72fb9cbc97c8a458acaaea01691b.JPG

Just saw one {BMR} on another customer's bike today and I called and ordered mine as soon as I got home.

Cool setup and very secure with the side gussets. wave.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

Fantastic ... thanks guys! Sounds like I'm going to get one of these ordered up here soon and give it a try. This riding without a radar detector is stressing me out. smile.gif

I have been told to mount the Smart Tire read-out module on the bottom side of the shelf, so you can see it (in the shade), to stop the sun wash-out of the display in direct sunlight (on top).

Rocket_Cowboy
I have been told to mount the Smart Tire read-out module on the bottom side of the shelf, so you can see it (in the shade), to stop the sun wash-out of the display in direct sunlight (on top).

Oh yeah.

I had it mounted on top of the dash shelf on my previous bike, and it was incredibly hard to read in the sun. At least I had no problem reading the alert light at all, but the LCD screen showing tire pressure and variance was about impossible ... even when I shaded it with my hand.

From the pictures I saw on the BMR website, I'm hoping to get mine mounted under one of the shelves, kind of like how they showed the V1 in some of the pictures.

Rocket_Cowboy

Thanks for the feedback on the BMR Co-Pilot shelf. I ordered one late last week, and it arrived today. I've got it mounted, but haven't added any gadgets to it yet ... although I have a pretty good idea where things will sit, I need to get power for the components worked out first.

Installation was easy; no modifications required to the bike dash in any way. The dash appears to be very stable. I might do some preliminary mounting of gadgets for a test ride looking for vibrations and what not, but at least in the garage it appears to be very well braced.

I'll get some pictures posted up soon.

I don't suppose you saw it on my red R1200RT at Victory BMW did you?

Joe

Just saw one {BMR} on another customer's bike today and I called and ordered mine as soon as I got home.

Cool setup and very secure with the side gussets. wave.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

Ok ... couple pictures of the BMR shelf. I'll get pictures posted again once I have gadgets mounted (GPS/V1/etc), but for now I'm still working out power for them.

DSC02676.jpg

DSC02677.jpg

DSC02680.jpg

DSC02681.jpg

More pictures of the shelf, and the Aeroflow components I added are available on my blog here.

Rocket_Cowboy
Nice PICS Charlie. Looks like a nice clean installation. Now with all that space, you need to buy some more accessories... thumbsup.gif

Oh ... I already have all the accessories, I just need to get the power feed sorted out for them all. wink.gif

Nice photos. BTW, is that an empty Nav II GPS bracket I see? You said you are going to mount a GPS on your new BMR Co-Pilot Shelf. Are you moving to a different GPS? How come and which one?

Rocket_Cowboy
Nice photos. BTW, is that an empty Nav II GPS bracket I see? You said you are going to mount a GPS on your new BMR Co-Pilot Shelf. Are you moving to a different GPS? How come and which one?

I have a 2730 from my previous bike which I'm moving over ... I just use the XM piece of that too much to give it up. I did the Nav III hoping it could replace the 2730, but have been disappointed when Garmin confirmed that the Nav III does not have any of the XM support my 2730 does.

So ... I'm contemplating whether to keep the Nav III or not. I have been using a 60CS as a backup GPS, but might just use the III and retire the 60CS. Or, I'll sell the III and mount the 60CS on one of the side gussets.

Archived