IGNORED

400 miles of smiles.

Marty Hill

Woke up tuesday am at the HI express in athens tenn. Strange to be the only bike there. Took all back roads up on monday. Perfect wx and very little traffic. Left the hotel at 0815 headed east on 30 thru etawah. From there thru the cherohala and wayah to route 64 I saw beautiful roads/a waterfall/bright colors, tho past peak. The best part was only 10 cars and 1 m/c the whole way.

Rode up 28 to highlands past the waterfalls, had lunch then headed down 28 to warwoman road and into clayton. From there back roads to home.

Wonderful!

Good for you Marty. I love those kind of days (albeit they're numbered here since winter has been settling in). Hopefully, the weather was pleasant as well.

Regards,

Mike O

Only did a bit over 200 in the N.Georgia mountains on Monday. The weather was great, the colors were great, and the lack of traffic was great. Did I mention it was a great day to ride? Three BMW's enjoyed the ride and lunch in Blairsville. Will keep an eye out for Tiger Moth's next time.

Bill, I was a few miles south of the dillard house when I hit clayton. Assume it's still there.

Monday lunch in dawsonville at the bbq joint then out 53/183 and so on up into tenn.

Paul,

We are so lucky to be riding! thumbsup.gif

Lone_RT_rider

I was going to give you a hard time about not having pics on this thread, but you like me hardly ever post any ride tales. So, I guess I had better take it easy on you...:)

Nice report Marty....:) Wish I was there...

See you on Saturday, bring the paper. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

Shawn,

I even had my camera. It stayed in the topbox both days.

Can you say lazy? dopeslap.gif I will bring the paper.

Brian,

My brain is too old to be helped by staying at the HIE. bncry.gif

Great ride on great roads . . . those of us close to the Appalacians are lucky.

Doug, I'm sure you're just kidding about the pics. I enjoy great photos as much as the next person but there are times you just don't want to look at the world through a viewfinder.

In younger days, I rode bicycles and hiked the mountains of New England. I read a book by a fellow name of Colin Fletcher. He was a geologist who surveyed most of the country on foot - literally walked it all from coast to coast and up and down every mountain range. Early in his career he acquired a Leica and became an ardent, and quite acomplished, amatuer photographer.

He wrote 'The Complete Walker', something of a classic for backpackers. Those of you who know the book may need to forgive some small innacuracies in this tale - it's been a few years since I read it . . . . In the book, he recounts a story of a month long trip in the western wilderness when he broke his camera on the third day out and was devastated. He goes on to tell how, over the weeks afterwards he found that he was seeing things differently, . . . he no longer looked at things as a series of pictures and picture opportunities. He found himself more involved in the world around him and more aware of it's sublties and nuances. He never travelled with a camera again, considered the cost too high.

I don't mean to sound preachy here . . . to each his own, and I have a kick ass digital camera that I love to use. But sometimes I find myself being dissappointed that I missed a great photo . . . then I realize that my disappointment just took something away from a great moment.

Sometimes the best camera is the camera of the mind. For me, Marty, the pictures were spectacular! In the end of autumn, on open winding mountain roads, past sunlit cascading waterfalls, riding alongside sparkling streams, catching the last colors of the season in the high country, 400 miles of smiles . . . Great pictures indeed! Thanks for sharing it.

Hi David,

Dougie is a good pal. It is a very old joke. I was finally given a camera about 22 months ago as I left for NZ. I took about 13 pics the very last day...I am just lazy and when I take them, I haven't a clue how to post them. Lazy and dumb. dopeslap.gif

Great ride on great roads . . .

Sometimes the best camera is the camera of the mind. For me, Marty, the pictures were spectacular! In the end of autumn, on open winding mountain roads, past sunlit cascading waterfalls, riding alongside sparkling streams, catching the last colors of the season in the high country, 400 miles of smiles . . . Great pictures indeed! Thanks for sharing it.

Well said!

Marty - thanks for posting this. I was going to work around the house this weekend, but your report has given me the push to do want I really need to do! It is suppose to be in the 50's and sunny - I'll be headed for West Virginia and a day of riding. cool.gif

MH,JAGWRAMWACIHT.

grin.gif

Nice tale Mr. Marty.

Now we know WWMHD? lmao.gif

OK, I'm apologizing now, just jealous. tongue.gif

Proximity to great roads and the weather to enjoy them thumbsup.gif.

See ya soon. wave.gif

Bart,

Always good to hear from you. If you don't come to atlanta in '07, I'm coming back to Belgium in '08.

Bob,

Thanks and enjoy your ride.

Tim,

I have no idea what that meant. A pm would be help. wave.gif

I make a point of taking my camera along, it's just that taking pictures seems to interfere with my riding.

I do appreciate the efforts of those that do take pictures even more and hopefully someday I will learn to ride and take photos on the same trip.

Hey Pat,

Gonna do it again this thursday. Temps are going up!

Norah,

It was 48-63...all I needed. Assume you riding is wonderful in sunny socal. Glad your Katie enjoyed the meatfest. See you in '07. wave.gif

Archived