IGNORED

Need Help - ABS Failure '01 RT

Michael Derby

Michael Derby

Hey Ya'll - Have not posted in a while as I have been out having a blast on the new R12S - Which is by the way the most incredible motorcycle I have every riden, but alas a topic for another day.

Have 24k on '01 RT - ABS lights came on yesterday -ABS not working - restarted bike etc. no ABS - checked fuses and pulled all relays to see if something would reset but nothing? I pride myself on my bike having not been to dealer since 600mi service so I want to try and fix myself - any ideas? The lights are flashing opposed, so not a voltage issue correct? The sound that the brakes servo thing made when the iginition first is turned on is not happening either if ya'll know what I mean. Any thoughts at all? Thanks in advance guys!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

If it's like Leslie's old Cruiser (pre-EVO) the alternating flash after starting is a low voltage state usually from the high draw from cranking. This would also follow if you've been riding the new bike recently. Has it been on a tender?

russell_bynum

Most likely, Jamie is right. (And he didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.) smile.gif

The Oilhead maintenance manual over on ibmwr.org has a procedure for reading the ABS (and Motronic) fault codes using an ANALOG volt meter (Don't use a digital one. If you don't have an analog meter, go down to Radio Shack and buy the cheapest analog meter they have). That should confirm what the problem is.

If you haven't been riding the bike, chances are it's a low voltage fault like Jamie said.

Take it out for a ride for 10 minutes to put some charge in the battery and warm up the oil. Switch off then restart it. If the ABS works OK then it's just a low voltage issue.

Next step is to reset the abs and see if it faults again. Some faults are latching faults that stay in the memory after you switch off.

Lift the seat.

Find the 3 pin blue plastic connector.

Remove the blanking plug.

Ground the centre pin.

Switch on the ignition.

Hold the abs button on the dash down for at least 8 seconds.

Release the button. One light should remain on steadily.

Switch off.

Remove the grounding wire.

The abs is now reset.

If it faults again you will need to read out the fault code as described elsewhere on this bbs.

Hey Ya'll - Have not posted in a while as I have been out having a blast on the new R12S - Which is by the way the most incredible motorcycle I have every riden, but alas a topic for another day.

Have 24k on '01 RT - ABS lights came on yesterday -ABS not working - restarted bike etc. no ABS - checked fuses and pulled all relays to see if something would reset but nothing? I pride myself on my bike having not been to dealer since 600mi service so I want to try and fix myself - any ideas? The lights are flashing opposed, so not a voltage issue correct? The sound that the brakes servo thing made when the iginition first is turned on is not happening either if ya'll know what I mean. Any thoughts at all? Thanks in advance guys!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Michael, start with the easy things first-- Make sure one of your brake switches is't stuck in the on position..

Twisty

Joe Frickin' Friday
Michael, start with the easy things first-- Make sure one of your brake switches is't stuck in the on position..

If it's an '01 (1100), then the brake switches won't be an issue; the ABS computer on the 1100's only watches wheel speed.

If it's an '01 (1100), then the brake switches won't be an issue; the ABS computer on the 1100's only watches wheel speed.

Joe, my 96 1100R wouldn't initiate if either brake lever was depressed..

Twisty

First question: When you turn on the ignition, before starting the engine, are the lights flashing together or alternately? If at that time they already flash alternately, there is a defect code stored in the system and you won't have ABS until it gets reset.

If with ignition on the lights flash together but go to alternate flashing when you start the engine, it means low voltage while cranking. Means low battery, tired starter motor, corroded connections... any of this. After riding a few minutes, if you stop, shut off and restart, it should be OK.

Michael,

If hte ABS warning lamps are flashing alternately as soon as you turn the ignition on, a fault is stored. The very first thing I would do is read out the fault code. Either use this:

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11Manual/Oilhead_Maintenance_2-25-02.pdf Page 72 or this: http://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110 procedure to get the fault and then fix that problem and reset the ABS.

Mick

Tucson

Michael Derby

Thanks - From what I see here in the responses - It is a stored fault code - that being said even though the lights never flashed in unison at anytime to indicate a low voltage situation, I am going to replace the battery anyway as I already know it is getting a bit long in the tooth. It does however sit on a tender at all times. I will try and read the fault code and reset - see what happens and then may try some advice again or take to dealer - Thanks ya'll

Archived